New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went to GCL with my brother. We went to the rifle range to shoot. I sign myself in and my brother in as a guest. So we set everything up and about to start shooting. This older bigger gentlemen stopped in (was talking with the guys doing some roof repairs who were nice, I believe the bigger gentleman drives a light colored truck or SUV and pulled up almost blocking the entrance to the range). He wasn't shooting or anything and I dont think he is on the board of directors either (I hope he isn't because he shouldn't be IMO) So back on topic. He looks at the sign in sheet and asked if we signed in or if both of us were members which is fine. I told him it was my brother and I was a member and that I had signed us in. He then (granted not meanly but condescendingly) told me that this was the last time I could bring my brother and that you can only bring the same guest twice. I told him I thought he was wrong but I could be and said that it was my understanding you could bring immediate family members as many times as you like. I pulled out my rule book (keep it in my range bag) and it didnt say anything about family but it said you could bring a guest 3 times before they are expected to sign up. The rules also said that members are expected to know the rules. This guy questioning me obviously didnt because he said you can bring people twice and the rules say 3 times. Also I did find on the website that it says you can bring family as many times as you like.

I just dont understand why some people seem to go out of their way (wrongly I might add) to try and tell people what to do. We were doing nothing wrong and he was spreading false information. My brother told me after he left us alone that when people act like that he cant imagine people wanting to join the club.

Another time on the pistol range I followed the rules because I was going to shoot my carry pistol. I went over to the load/unload station as shown in my orientation and followed the procedure and this other guy yelled at me saying you can't do that.

Dont get me wrong I am fine with people letting you know if your doing something wrong but I am not fine with people being ignorant of the rules and trying to correct people when they are doing nothing wrong.

Oh and the guy that said my brother cant come anymore apparently does it all the time. I know a few people who have gone there as guests and were told they couldnt come back by this guy until they joined even though it was their first time there as a guest.

Yes I understand my complaints are a "huge" deal but before people start correcting people they should actually know what the rules are. Maybe I should just start getting their names and reporting them for not knowing the rules and trying to enforce stuff that doesnt exist.

Edit: I printed up the website page saying immediate family can come as many times as they wish as a guest and put it in my wallet lol.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly. I am not going to go out of my way to make sure every rule is being followed if there is no reason to think one is not. Sure I will scold someone if I see them do something unsafe but I am not about to walk up to everyone and question them to find out if a rule is being violated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have been a member @ GCL for 4 years and really think the facilities are outstanding. I have met many terrific people and made many friends as a result of my time at the club. I am also a member at 2 other smaller clubs locally. Each club has them.....I call them Range Trolls...Usually older gentlemen who have nothing better to do than hassle others & give horrible, HORRIBLE advice. They are always quick to point out what you are doing wrong and quick to spout "Club Rules".

I have not looked at the "Rule Book" recently, but here is how I always interpreted the family stuff. I thought it meant my direct family, as in my wife and kids. My oldest recently turned 21 and I figured he needed to get his own membership now. I brought him often as a teenager, but now he is all growed up.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
My God, I could never go to a range that regulated. Also, what the conversation should have been is "Are you on the board of directors and or a RO?", "No, but..." "Oh, well then sorry mate, not really interested in your opinion."

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really enjoy GCL as well and most of the people there are great and friendly. When I see immediate family though I think of father, son, mother, daughter, wife, brother, sister. My brother doesnt shoot often at all really and I just bought him his first firearm for christmas. I am trying to make it a positive experience and after he learns what I have to teach him (safety and all that good stuff) I am sure he will not want to wait to shoot when I am available. At that time he will get his own membership. After all he is immediate family. But when you have those guys who aren't even their to shoot doing stuff like this it turns a positive experience into a negative one and everyone loses. Plus on top of that he didnt even know what the rules were. He even said they were on the board but when he looked they werent there lol. Like I said if I am breaking a rule then I am fine with someone pointing it out, even if its a minor one but I dont like it when people tell me something that is just not true. Heck I would of even settled for him calling me aside instead of calling me out on a rule he was wrong about in front of my brother.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My God, I could never go to a range that regulated.
GCL is not "regulated". It is safe & friendly. I agree with the OP that this guy was out of line..BUT he does not represent the club. This type of human trolls at every club I belong to. Sometimes they roam in packs....like ZOMBIES!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My God, I could never go to a range that regulated. Also, what the conversation should have been is "Are you on the board of directors and or a RO?", "No, but..." "Oh, well then sorry mate, not really interested in your opinion."
If I am not 100% positive I wont push an issue, I was 90% sure (and I was right) so I was tactful. Lets say though I was 100% sure. I would of said politely that he was wrong and this is what the rule is. If he kept pushing the issue I would politely tell him again he was wrong and I am going to ignore him and if he wants to look like an idiot to get some on the board lol or I could give him my name and membership number but to also give me his so I could report him for harassing me and not knowing the rules of the club lol.

Let me give you an example of one of the good guys there. My brother has a 10/22 with the archangel maurader kit. It has a folding stock and fake silencer on it. It is a preban 10/22. Another guy there later asked about the rifle and asked what it was. I told him it was a preban ruger 10/22 with a aftermarket stock on it. He said thats cool. So this guy potentially went about trying to find out more about it in a nice friendly way and I gave him the information he needed to know everything was fine in a nice way. 99% of the people there are like that. But you always have that 1% lol.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea its not over regulated. Rochester rifle club (i think thats the one) has an indoor only range and you can only have I think 5 rounds in the magazine. GCL has rules for safety while not being overly regulated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
usmcveteran; said:
225806 My brother has a 10/22 with the archangel maurader kit. It has a folding stock and fake silencer on it. It is a preban 10/22. Another guy there later asked about the rifle and asked what it was. I told him it was a preban ruger 10/22 with a aftermarket stock on it. He said thats cool.
When I am at the range I use the "live & let live" principle. I could really care less what a guy is shooting....Be Safe & Follow the rules. Reality is many guys have prebans and then most of the rules don't apply.

Be safe and shoot your evil black guns men!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You guys get all worked up over nothing. Its probably just some busy body who thinks hes in charge and should not reflect badly on the club as a whole. Just say "OK" and go about your business. Not worth the effort to argue and it wasnt like he was trying to kick you out.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I would of told the clown to mind his own business after he started to pry! If he is not a range officer,and I am adhearing to club rules then beat it!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Maybe he is a drunk. I have seen them at GCL several times. Next time take his member number and report to Wayne. These type of folks need to go find some other place to go screw around.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is always someone out there that just wants to rain on your parade. They live a miserable life and want to share that experience with others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts