New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've once again gotten the bug, I haven't shot regularly since the mid 90's. So I've decided to get me back into it, to build a 10/22 that will be fun to shoot. I plan to plink around, sharpen my shooting skills, and hopefully complete an Appleseed. I'm hoping that this will get me more into it, down the road who knows, an AK or AR and maybe some pistols!

Anyways I've purchased a Rhineland Arms Leopard stock and an Elysium Arms (Used to be Clerke I believe) 18" .920 fluted bull barrel to start.

Once they show up in the mail I'll post some pics.

I'm still hoping to find a used 10/22, but worse case I'll buy new. To start with I plan to send the trigger group out to Swampfox from rimfirecentral.com for a rework where he'll make it all nice like and add a goodie or two. I'll probably stumble through painting the entire gun as well. For optics I'll start with something reasonable from Primary Arms and go from there.

So wait for the pics, here's to having some fun!

E

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! You might also look into automatic bolt release and extended magazine release, I have the TS mag release on 2 of my 10/22's really nice how the flick of your middle finger mags drop right out, Both of this feature's will be a big help at an Applseed shoot! I'll be shooting my fourth Appleseed the 21/22 of this month. Good Luck with your Build Jamie

·
Registered
315 Posts
10/22s are great little guns. I have a couple i have been thinking about building. Would love to see some pics when the parts come in!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picture time, picture time. Here is the barrel and the unfinished stock. Now all I need is a donor rifle, as that I can't find a used one it is beginning to appear that I'll have to buy a new one.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
love the stock! Watch Gander and Dicks for 10/22 sales, They go new on sale for what I've seen the rare used one go for.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Right now I'm really torn on how I'm going to finish said stock/rifle. Suggestions?
I just hand rubbed some wood, on my guitar neck, and it's awesome, I did some doors in the house too, might want to look into that for the stock. I use regular minwax poly and reduce 2:1 with lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get some Truoil and hand rub it in. I've been told that to get it to look really professional is to rub it until it is warm to the fingertips.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get some Truoil and hand rub it in. I've been told that to get it to look really professional is to rub it until it is warm to the fingertips.
I can't decide if I'd like to go that route or tacti-cool...

I found this pic that I really like, if I went this way I'd probably do the entire rifle (optics, barrel, etc) in an ATACS pattern. I "think" I prefer this to the natural look. I don't know yet. Example below.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So any thoughts on painting/finishing? I have it narrowed to the ATACs pattern above or ebonizing the wood. For those not familiar with ebonizing it makes the wood black, but still able to see the grain.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
So any thoughts on painting/finishing? I have it narrowed to the ATACs pattern above or ebonizing the wood. For those not familiar with ebonizing it makes the wood black, but still able to see the grain.

Thoughts?
I have a real good way to ebonize wood if you go that route let me know.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here everything is mounted, sans optics of course. Now I'm pulling it apart to send the trigger out to be re worked and will start the ebonizing process for the stock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well with getting married, summer, and such the project was put in a holding pattern. I finally got around today to sending the trigger out for work, hopefully I'll have that back in a few weeks. I also starting to finish the stock. Step one is I used a wood dye to darken, once that dried I went about using an ebony stain. Let's see what happened.

After the wood dye.

Stain

Stain applied

After about 6 minutes with the stain I wiped it off and this was the product.

I'd like to get it a bit darker so I think that tomorrow I may apply a second coat and maybe let it set 10 minutes before I wipe it down.

Any thoughts?

Well here we are after the second dye job, for the one pic I quickly threw on the black recoil pad to get a bit of contrast.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok, I'm getting ready to put the grip on now that everything is done. Should I go with what people traditionally do? Thanks for any feedback!

Or do the textured grip in the ENTIRE grip area?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts