New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my first real trap session and I am hooked.
This is a fun activity and sport.
I took my 870 with my 18" barrel and got 10.
I then bought 28" barrel the next day along with a padded vest, in the ear plugs and a case of ammo.
Can't wait to shoot again.
Anyone interested in Trap shooting you are more than welcome to
Open Trap League on Monday Nights at Allied Sportsmen Club
12846 Clinton St in Marilla. From 6pm till Dusk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey man. Great to hear you're getting into the sport. I started shooting Skeet when I was 12, then Trap, and then Sporting Clays and 5-Stand.
Get some buddies and make it a habit. try new games (skeet and sporting) Sporting is the most fun IMO. There are many different targets (rolling rabbits, flat and fast flying batteaus and teals.) really makes you a great shot. Trap and Skeet are too predictable for me.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. the longer barrel seems to have been worth it. Shot an 18 and then a 19.
Still a hoot.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Congrats! My advice is to watch for a sale on shells then buy in bulk!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Is a standard "round" of Trap 25? If so then, yeah, that's what I shot last year. 18/25.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
same thing happened to me, started off with a mossberg 500 now i have a 2000 dollar skb over under, wanna upgrade again. even when i dont shoot good its still a blast. all you old farts that shoot trap are a hoot lol

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Trap is nice but wait until you try skeet or clays.

- Trap is like the driving range.
- Skeet is like the green.
- Sporting clays is like Robin Hood with a shotgun.

Stop by the Outlet in Penfield a Sunday morning/afternoon.
They call it sport. I say it is something between sport and group therapy for men. lol

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trap is nice but wait until you try skeet or clays.

- Trap is like the driving range.
- Skeet is like the green.
- Sporting clays is like Robin Hood with a shotgun.

Stop by the Outlet in Penfield a Sunday morning/afternoon.
They call it sport. I say it is something between sport and group therapy for men. lol
Great analogy and the best part is the cold beer afterward in all of the above.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Yes, the shooting, competition is just an excuse to go for some male group therapy. LOL!
seriously we love the sport. Did you know that in WWII they brought skeet shooters to show gunners how
to take down aircraft?
Also a squadron commander in Vietnam made it mandatory all the pilots in his squadron had to do skeet on the weekend.
The had their own league there in the base. He said, the better you get with the shotgun the better you are shooting anything, including dog fights.
Of course he was a skeet nuts! lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In WWI they had men trained to shoot hand grenades thrown from the German trenches, in mid-air, with the Winchester Trench Gun!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hamburg lets anyone shoot any time they're open - don't have to be a member. Hamburg Rod and Gun Club . Hrs are posted in the header. I managed to get a friend hooked on trap. Glad to see you're enjoying it - it's addicting. Kinda as they eluded to..when you start to feel good at trap..keep going and if you want to, change it up. I shot clays for the first time 2 weekends ago in a Ducks Unlimited shoot. Damn it was hard. I'm usually high teens low twenty's in trap (of 25 to answer the unanswered question), but clays i only managed a 13 of 50 i believe. All the "trap shots" but 1 or 2 i nailed. Any "skeet shots", forget about it. Practice trap and skeet first, it'll make your clays experience more fun. Hope to see ya out in hamburg sometime.

·
MSG
470 Posts
I have some nice over unders but to be honest, I have the most fun with an old Win Model 12 with a 28 inch barrel. Looking for a Mod 12 (12 ga) 26 in vent rib barrel, if anyone knows of one for sale at a reasonable price. Sporting clays and 5 Stand can and will be a humbling expierience, you have to keep at it. Any one else shoot with the gun unmounted? Seems like less and less people are shooting like you would carry in the woods, espicially in skeet and trap. Would also consider a Mod 12 in a Heavy Duck Gun.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Anyone in central NY, looking to try their hand at trap is welcome at the Camden Rod & Gun Club. Thursday evenings, from about 5:00 PM 'til 9:00PM.
Non-members welcomed. Trap is $ 3.00 per round, 25 birds. Bring your own gun & ammo. No ammo for sale at the club. We shoot until the Thursday before Thanksgiving. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on! Link & directions at CamdenRGC.com

·
Registered
140 Posts
I shoot at the evans gun club and love it but need to find a place closer since i moved to the cheek area.... I may try that place in marilla.... grand island looks nice but i dont want to be a member just yet since i am in evans... anyone local want to meet up to shoot? lmk.. happy 4th everyone also...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cool deal! I can't wait to join a club and get into shooting trap, skeet, etc. I could use the practice too. Last time I shot I only hit 3 or 4.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Trap will probally offer the most places to shoot on the east coast. As most Clubs have trap & skeet ranges. Sporting is great fun and an upcoming sport, but with limited places to shoot and more cost for targets. If your new stick, with the trap and skeet until you get gun fit, site picture and movements to the target figured out some what. A lot of people jump into sporting and disappear from the sport due to the amount of skill required. Lets face it, its no fun missing tragets. Pick one game you like and get a proper setup gun. it does not have to cost a lot of bucks but it does need to set up correctly. The guys who tell you you can use any gun shotgun for all the different events, do not know the games. Good luck and good shooting!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey loudgp, Hamburg is a good place to shoot, you also have Sheridan transit R & G on Grand island or Towanda Sports clubs. Sheridan Transit is always shooting Trap. And Hamburg has an ATA shoot on the 4th today. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I too just did this for the first time. I guess it was more skeet, just a disc thrower in my buddy's backyard. I shot both my 870 and his Winchester with a tight turkey choke on it. Rarely missed with either. My dad is thrilled because he used to love the sport, he told me his Browning Citori is mine next time I go visit.

I need to figure out where around Monroe I can do it. Penfield Outlet was mentioned above, I should check it out.

Alex Shoots Two Clay Birds - YouTube

1 - 20 of 21 Posts