New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first handgun and have taken it out a few times and have a little over 500rds through it i can't seem to stay in the black target area as i would like. I know practice makes perfect and i know the glock is a hard gun to learn on i have center mast shot but not tight like i want. what can i do to improve.... better sights lighten the trigger? and yesm i know more and more practice im just looking for things to do to the gun that might help me.....thanks guys

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think most will tell you to just practice and that most people, with a rifle or pistol, always jump to fixing the gun instead if the shooter. ;)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Try just barely using the tip of your finger on the trigger. Too much finger on the trigger will get you pulling it one way or another and watch your grip. The Glocks have a different grip angle. Once you get used to it you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I would start with getting some instruction on your grip and trigger control from a good trainer. Modifying the gun isn't the place to start. If you don't shoot it well now, that won't help too much.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I would start with getting some instruction on your grip and trigger control from a good trainer. Modifying the gun isn't the place to start. If you don't shoot it well now, that won't help too much.
^What he said^

Also are you missing low and left?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
This is my first handgun and have taken it out a few times and have a little over 500rds through it i can't seem to stay in the black target area as i would like. I know practice makes perfect and i know the glock is a hard gun to learn on i have center mast shot but not tight like i want. what can i do to improve.... better sights lighten the trigger? and yesm i know more and more practice im just looking for things to do to the gun that might help me.....thanks guys
What distance are you shooting from?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the thing im a scoped rifle shooter new to pistols and the groups are not consistent at all so its not always in the black but never off the paper nothing ever to be like yep im grouping low left or high right so im not sure....I had the range officer at blue mountain help me out hes a pistol instructor he said i was doing well the shots were all center mast area just not consistent you know

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts

Some info on grip

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
What helped me a lot with my glock at first was to use a very loose grip with my trigger finger hand and used my support hand to apply pressure. Also just squeeze the trigger as slow as you possibly can and I am sure you will notice your groups getting smaller right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What helped me a lot with my glock at first was to use a very loose grip with my trigger finger hand and used my support hand to apply pressure.
This helped me a LOT too. Shooting with a thumbs forward grip made the single biggest improvement in my shooting. Using the support hand for most (60%+) of my grip made the second biggest improvement.

Other than that, going to the range and going slow and concentrating on trigger press really got my groups to tighten up.

Another video:

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Your eye can't focus on the sights and the bullseye at the same time. Try a crisp bullseye with fuzzy sights with both eyes open, you should be able to walk rounds where you want them.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Your eye can't focus on the sights and the bullseye at the same time. Try a crisp bullseye with fuzzy sights with both eyes open, you should be able to walk rounds where you want them.
Proper way would be a crisp front sight with the rear sight and target out of focus.

·
6,795 Posts
Just want to reiterate slow trigger squeeze lol. When you pull the trigger just imagine someone telling you to do it slowly over and over again to the point of making you angry lol so to spite them you pull it so slowly that it takes 3 to 5 seconds for it to fire. Then you will be hitting right where you want to and you can practice pulling the trigger faster over time.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
a couple of things I've been told that help out:

1. BUTT OUT! Stick that thing out like you are in a butt-judging contest! You should be bending your knees slightly to help with this, but yea, BUTT OUT!

2. LOCKED ARMS! "Movie shooting" is not good for accuracy, so don't shoot like you see in the movies. As Jeff mentioned, thumbs forward, one hand over the other, not one hand (essentially) cupping your other hand and the mag.

3. BREATHING! Just like rifle shooting, exhale, then pull the trigger

4. "TWO STEP". I'm sure this is like this on most if not all guns, but I've noticed with my glock that I can pull the trigger about 1/2-3/4 of the way without it going off, then that last lil umph is all it needs to go off. With an unloaded gun and no mag, try this at home, you'll see what I mean. Once you learn the "second step", it'll be a lot easier.

Some food for thought - As mentioned, learn how to shoot, then you can modify, but one thing I've read on here several times, and I agree with is, you shouldn't modify your carry gun. In court, things like a lighter trigger could have a negative impact on how you are seen by the jury

·
6,795 Posts
when dry fireing as well you can put a coin on your front sight post and if it falls of when you pull the trigger you need to pull slower until it stays on.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
when dry fireing as well you can put a coin on your front sight post and if it falls of when you pull the trigger you need to pull slower until it stays on.
Ah yes the old dime and washer drill..... I would say its effective!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts