New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased another handgun on GunBroker, and tried to have my FFL send his info, but was informed that he had passed away. This was Robert Haak, in Marion, who for years has been charging me $15, and $10 for any additional guns. Great guy. My guns always did come out of his shop smelling a little bit like cigarette smoke, though.

I'm now hoping to find a low-cost FFL transfer dealer in the Monroe County/Wayne County area. I live in Penfield on 441/Penfield Road, very close to the Wayne County line. However, that house caught fire on November 1, and we've been living in Brighton in a rental while we wait for a new house to be constructed on our Penfield property (still waiting for the first construction vehicle to arrive on scene, after many frustrating months of delays.) Anyway, the drive to Marion from Penfield was long, but fast, and would take me less than 15 minutes on a good day (12 min. once when I timed myself.)

When I do a search on this site for FFL, I get zero results, which I know cannot be true. I'd love to know who everyone else uses. I know I don't want to use Pro-Gun in Victor, nor Custom Shop in Wayne County (who I'd drive right past to get to Bob's in Marion.) They're what I consider BIG DOLLAR shops, when it comes to transfers.

The clock is ticking, because I've already purchased this gun, and the seller is waiting for my FFL info.

Thanks!

Scott in Brighton (temporarily)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Pro Gun is gone anyway. I've used Klubfunstore (585 200 6558) with no issue. I don't recall what he charged but unless he changed it, it's as good or better than anyone else on this side of Rochester. Quite literally a kitchen table dealer located in Henrietta.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Pro Gun is gone anyway. I've used Klubfunstore (585 200 6558) with no issue. I don't recall what he charged but unless he changed it, it's as good or better than anyone else on this side of Rochester. Quite literally a kitchen table dealer located in Henrietta.
I think his website says $25 for FFL to FFL and $10 for private xfers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I don't even bother with the well-known places, they can use their name recognition to get a premium on services like that, plus they sell guns, so what's their motivation to import guns for cheap?

I sent messages through GunBroker to some FFLs, we'll see what I learn from them.

Scott in Brighton

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I am interested in this thread. I am not tpo far away and I have only paid $50 for transfers. When you include shipping it's usually $80 tacked on to the price.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What happened to Pro Gun Services? They closed?
They shut down about 6 months ago. Around the same time as Jackson. Beikerchs bought their ammo stock. They charged a lot for transfers anyway. Friendliness was hit or miss. They would at least allow you behind the counter to hold a firearms.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, 6 months? I bought an old 22 revolver from them ("gunsmith special" H&R 949 "Forty Niner" for $50) in January. They must have shut down soon after that. The used guns were the only thing that ever interested me there, and I think I only bought the one.

I'll have to find someplace else around here that has an inventory of used guns. That's not a common thing. I used to see a lot at Gander Mountain, even good deals, not any more. I remember someone told me about a place out in Wayne County along the canal that had some used guns in the cases, and a few months later, before I had time to check it out, I heard on the news that they were cleaned out in a burglary. Seems like online is the only place I get to see old guns anymore.

Scott in Brighton

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Damn I was going to ship a gun there in a few weeks once it's paid off on buds. Anyways he was a decent guy, even told me which boxes to check on the 4473 lol.

I would recommend frank at klubfunstore any day of the week!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bob Haak was the best, I had probably 15 or so gun transferred through him and considered him a friend. I learned more from him about Wayne county and it's history than anywhere else. My 8 year old loved to go with me so he could look at all of the model cars Bob had on the shelves in his office. It was hard to see his health decline over the last few years. One of the only people I know who should have a monument or plaque in his honor in the town hall.

To the original poster... Might want to check on the new place in Farmington, don't know what he charges but heard good things about him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On behalf of others of us in the same general area who have wondered who we'd use -- thanks for the question and all the answers!
Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts