New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a matching 5 digit numerical serial number on the receiver and that is it. No factory code or stamp, no Chinese letters and no other markings except for a very small 3> stamped on both sides of the barrel right before the back sights. Maybe its a diamond code but I have not seen this anywhere on the net.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sino Soviet maybe.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was looking hard for a /26\ when I first got it because I was hoping maybe it was a sino-soviet but, It does not have a alpha in the serial # and does not have a 26 anywhere on the rifle just the number 3 and a > on one side and > on the other side of the barrel. I really do not know what it is at this point. It may not even be Chinese. I'll post pics as soon as I clean the snot off it

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is the battle sight setting? 3?

or П?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It has a matching 5 digit numerical serial number on the receiver and that is it. No factory code or stamp, no Chinese letters and no other markings except for a very small 3> stamped on both sides of the barrel right before the back sights. Maybe its a diamond code but I have not seen this anywhere on the net.
Umm, then how do you know it is Chicom? The only numbers on the rifle are on the receiver, nothing on the carrier, trigger group, etc? No import marks?

Pics would help if you want to know more about it - pull the action out of the stock, and show if the carrier has lightening cuts, milled or stamped trigger group, pinned or threaded barrel, spring loaded or free floating firing pin, etc.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Umm, then how do you know it is Chicom? The only numbers on the rifle are on the receiver, nothing on the carrier, trigger group, etc? No import marks?

Pics would help if you want to know more about it - pull the action out of the stock, and show if the carrier has lightening cuts, milled or stamped trigger group, pinned or threaded barrel, spring loaded or free floating firing pin, etc.
All good questions and as soon as I clean the snot off the rifle (hoping tomorrow) I'll post pics.

BTW to clarify things the serial numbers are matching on the cover, receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, trigger group and stock just nothing else except for > and 3> and importers stamp.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's got the n on the sight
Pretty good chance it is Sino-Soviet then IMHO. Once in a GREAT while you might find a Soviet rear sight on a Chinese made gun but most of the time it is a Soviet supplied gun that they refurbished or whatever. Does it have the 2 tone receiver cover? A kind of irregular blue finish on it? Screwed in barrel? Soviet proofs on barrel shank? eetc?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
All good questions and as soon as I clean the snot off the rifle (hoping tomorrow) I'll post pics.

BTW to clarify things the serial numbers are matching on the cover, receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, trigger group and stock just nothing else except for > and 3> and importers stamp.
the /26\ on my rifle was stamped very finely. I couldn't see it when it was covered in cosmo

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I received this rife from Classicfirearms it was covered with great gobs of cosmoline. I mean I lot of it! I needed a portable steam cleaner to get it off. I paid the up charge so the stock was good and there was about 90% bluing. The finish on the stock was horrible but it was to be expected from a milsurp that saw service. Still, I could not warm up to the idea of doing a check weld with a stock that had a combination of dirt, sweat, oil and cosmoline ground into the wood so I sanded it down but left some of the "patina" and finished it with amber shellac. The following are the pics of the markings and of the whole rifle finished:
CIMG0153.jpg CIMG0154.jpg CIMG0155.jpg CIMG0157.jpg CIMG0159.jpg

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That is Russian or Sino/Soviet for sure. What wood is the stock?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like birch to me but it might be catalpa. What makes you think it's a sino-soviet? I thought factory 26 was the only place they made them at. There are a lot of odd ball marks on this rifle that I can not make any sense of.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It looks like birch to me but it might be catalpa. What makes you think it's a sino-soviet? I thought factory 26 was the only place they made them at. There are a lot of odd ball marks on this rifle that I can not make any sense of.
Rear sight ladder, long shank barrel and barrel markings, lack of factory mark on the receiver maybe. I am not familiar with the proof marks on the barrel, but they do not look quite like the Chicom that I have.

The Chicoms were made in factories across China - the arsenal 26 is the most common marking, but there are probably 2 dozen or more arsenal markings on Chinese SKS, none of which seem to appear on your gun, which is probably a good thing in terms of value.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any proof marks on the stock?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts