New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my friends and I shot our new mosins for the first time today.

My hex and my one friend's hex shot great, but my other friend wasn't so lucky. his round tula wouldn't chamber a round, and we don't know where to go from here.

Tried switching the bolts to see if that was it, neither bolt worked in his gun. I don't think the issue is cosmoline, since we cleaned our guns out pretty well when we got them. maybe it's worth another shot. idk.

Is there a gunsmith in the rochester area that any of you would recommend for this? would rather not have to spend too much to fix it either, it's only a 120 dollar gun...

appreciate any help, thanks

Also, these mosins were bought from AIM. is it worth contacting them? jw

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Beikirchs in East Rochester has some excellent gunsmiths. I've never had any work done personally there, but several friends have had nothing but good things to say about their work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beikirchs in East Rochester has some excellent gunsmiths. I've never had any work done personally there, but several friends have had nothing but good things to say about their work.
i'll look into beikirchs, you'd think they'd have done some mosin work by now haha

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i'll look into beikirchs, you'd think they'd have done some mosin work by now haha
I'm sure they have. As I said, I can't personally vouch for their smithing, so don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work out. LOL!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Is the round getting stuck on the lip? Mine has the same exact problem. I think it's the magazine. When I load a single round I don't have a problem, but when I load five the second or third always gets stuck.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Are you loading all the rounds one rim in front of the other from bottom to top?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the round getting stuck on the lip? Mine has the same exact problem. I think it's the magazine. When I load a single round I don't have a problem, but when I load five the second or third always gets stuck.
round starts chambering no problem, the bolt won't close all the way once it starts. seems like a headspace issue :(

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Are you loading all the rounds one rim in front of the other from bottom to top?
Yeah. I'll probably try again when I go to the range. I've just been loading one round. It may just be my goof up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure their is nothing broken in the chamber? Like a shell casing? Did you clean it well? Could be cosmoline still in the locking lug area. Swap bolts and see if it closes or not.

James
swapped bolts, no luck. they each had the same problem. cleaned it pretty good. maybe i'll break it down and clean it again tomorrow

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check this out:

oh wow that's nuts lol.

idt we have that problem tho. IIRC the round would go into the chamber fine, just the bolt wouldn't close over it. Maybe I can get ahold of my friend's gun tomorrow and check it out.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I don't understand those youtubers. They say then never clean the guns before they use them?. Doing this before use is critical with a rifle.
Also there is zero financial motivation for companies to inspect $100 relics so one must do a thorough inspection of the gun,
cleaning and make sure the chamber is up to spec and other function and safety related items.

Have the entire bolt assembly inspected and lube. This allows you to get famliar with the firearm and to make sure everything
is in working condition free of defects, rust or damage.
Don't swap bolts at the risk of getting them mixed up. Check head-space before you fire the gun. Don't spend much so borrow
the gauges or get a field gauge.
Have the bore and chamber squeaky clean and dry before inspection and/or firing.
Inspect the bore and chamber. Make sure there are no cracks or other defects in the action, shank, bore or barrel.
Put a drop of oil in the lugs to avoid galling.

Don't take these suggestions lightly. A pair of good eyes is hard to come by ... one can get seriously injured or even worse.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't understand those youtubers. They say then never clean the guns before they use them?. Doing this before use is critical with a rifle.
Also there is zero financial motivation for companies to inspect $100 relics so one must do a thorough inspection of the gun,
cleaning and make sure the chamber is up to spec and other function and safety related items.

Have the entire bolt assembly inspected and lube. This allows you to get famliar with the firearm and to make sure everything
is in working condition free of defects, rust or damage.
Don't swap bolts at the risk of getting them mixed up. Check head-space before you fire the gun. Don't spend much so borrow
the gauges or get a field gauge.
Have the bore and chamber squeaky clean and dry before inspection and/or firing.
Inspect the bore and chamber. Make sure there are no cracks or other defects in the action, shank, bore or barrel.
Put a drop of oil in the lugs to avoid galling.

Don't take these suggestions lightly. A pair of good eyes is hard to come by ... one can get seriously injured or even worse.
The day after we picked the rifles up we tore them down and cleaned them good. it's possible we just missed something in the chamber, i hope that's all it is.

As far as a bolt mixup goes, i wasn't too worried as they are numbered for each gun, and we only swapped the entire assembly, not individual parts.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The day after we picked the rifles up we tore them down and cleaned them good. it's possible we just missed something in the chamber, i hope that's all it is.

As far as a bolt mixup goes, i wasn't too worried as they are numbered for each gun, and we only swapped the entire assembly, not individual parts.
Good. check that chamber and the head-space. I told you abot the bolts because these firearms are head-spaced for their bolt so swapping
is not a good idea. Even if the round chambered after swapping bolts that would not mean anything. Actually using that swapped bolt to
fire the gun could end in big disaster. These are old firearms that were cut with old tooling and there were plenty of tolerances everywhere.
They didn't have CNN machines then.
Check the head space before you use the rifle. I cannot say this enough times.

Good luck.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Can you answer this question for me as I love to learn. Where is the issue occurring? Does it not strip a round from the mag? Does the bolt not close? Does the bolt not go forward enough to engage the lugs at all?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Take it back and get another one.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I sense a build-up of lacquer from MilSurp rounds. lots of rounds, lots of heat. break it down, and go nuts with a bore brush (I use a 12-gauge shotgun one on my Mausers). *Really* work it over with the brush & some hoppes #9.

see what comes off/out.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts