New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My best friend blew his brains out around 2 years ago and he was on physiatrist prescribed drugs at the time. I got him back into guns and shooting as a hobby so you might think I blame myself but no I don't because I know it was the drugs that made him suicidil. We had talked many times and agreed suicide was a foolish thing to do, permanent solution to a temporary problem.
My biggest problem is that we hadn't been speaking for a year before the suicide and I think I might have been able to help him if we had been but not much I can do now.

If you or a friend or anybody you know is on any of these drugs please be sure to monitor them because the doctors sure as hell aren't. All of the mass murderers with guns in the past 30 years have been on prescribed drugs and it is something the media ignores.

I am sitting here drinking my coffee and thinking about how I miss these morning chats we used to have over coffee and wondering if there was anything I could have done.
Jim

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
If those who take their life could only see the lifetime of guilt and anguish they cause their loved ones and friends, I do believe most would reconsider. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend pappasue. It is not on you.
Robin

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Sorry for your loss bro. My BILs brother swallowed an AR15 a few years ago. Didn't find him for a week. RIP uncle Nicky. He was always a free sprit. Lots of drugs in his past but not the prescribed kind. Not your fault bro. Wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the first grade I was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome and ADHD and it seamed like every year after that untill I graduated the "professionals" diagnosed me with one thing or another. I spent my entire childhood drugged up like you wouldn't believe and I struggled with rage and depression until I turned 18 when I no longer HAD to take my meds and the mood swings went away. I really wish doctors would be less liberal with the use of mood altering drugs, especially with children as it pretty much ruined my childhood (spent grades 6-12 in special ed).

·
Registered
48 Posts
All those drugs make people suicidal.

Anti-depressants have a warning that they may cause people to become suicidal.

If you know anyone on drugs tell them to get the **** off.
That is a really irresponsible thing to advocate.

Correlation does not imply causality; people on prescribed drugs may have a higher rate of suicide or shooting sprees but it is likely that those people would have done that, medicated or not. More probable, it is the underlying condition(s) that lead to being medicated that had a significant influence on their actions.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sorry for your loss. These drugs (anti depressants) are showing long term effects that were never predicted when they were first developed. Makes you wonder if they cause more harm then good. People on these drugs do need special attention from family and friends.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

Correlation does not imply causality; people on prescribed drugs may have a higher rate of suicide or shooting sprees but it is likely that those people would have done that, medicated or not. More probable, it is the underlying condition(s) that lead to being medicated that had a significant influence on their actions.
Well then why is there a warning on all these drugs that associate it with increased risk of suicide.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Well then why is there a warning on all these drugs that associate it with increased risk of suicide.
It is true that most anti-depressants come with a warning about suicidal thoughts. But these drugs help far more people than they hurt. Every prescription drug out there ends up killing a few people because of an adverse reaction, this is the same thing. Plus many of those people were already suicidal and it is not necessarily the drugs that did this. Many, many people are helped tremendously by these drugs.

I completely agree however that these kinds of drugs should not be given to children except in very rare circumstances. Most children will be harmed by these meds, and it is a shame that our society is so prone to drug people up for every problem that exists, especially children. Drugs are a tool only, not a cure. People should not treat them like they are. That s half the problem, people take a pill and they think everything is fine then. That is just not the way it works.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My uncle also killed himself. He wasnt allowed to have any firearms do to his criminal record, but one of his "buddies" gave him a .22 revolver. Though he wasnt using prescription medicines he was high on cocaine at the time. I still remembering having to carry my father out of the funeral home. My father still isnt right.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts

Correlation does not imply causality; people on prescribed drugs may have a higher rate of suicide or shooting sprees but it is likely that those people would have done that, medicated or not.

And you have proof of that ?

More probable, it is the underlying condition(s) that lead to being medicated that had a significant influence on their actions.

I thought you said Correlation does not imply causation? That doesnt apply to this?

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Harvard Medical School psychiatristsDr. Martin Teicher and Dr. Jonathan Cole, in a paper published in early 1990 in The American Journal of Psychiatry titled ''Emergence of Intense Suicidal Preoccupation During Fluoxetine Treatment.'' The doctors observed that six of their adult patients experienced ''intense, violent suicidal preoccupation'' within two to seven weeks of starting on fluoxetine, the generic name for Prozac, the first of the S.S.R.I.'s to reach the American market.

Several studies have found that SSRI use is related to a higher risk of suicidal behavior in children and adolescents.For instance, a 2004 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) analysis of clinical trials on children with major depressive disorder found statistically significant increases of the risks of "possible suicidal ideation and suicidal behavior" by about 80%, and of agitation and hostility by about 130%

JAMA Network | JAMA Psychiatry | Antidepressant Drug Therapy and Suicide in Severely Depressed Children and Adults: A Case-Control Study

"Statistical Evaluation of Suicidality in Adults Treated with Antidepressants

"Clinical review: relationship between antidepressant drugs and suicidal behavior in adults

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
"The jury refused to bring in a verdict of suicide on account of the evidence given both by Professor of Psychiatry David Healy of the University of Cardiff and assistant state pathologist Dr Declan Gilsenan, who underlined the dangers of suicidal and homicidal acts arising from the use of SSRIs."

"Professor Healy stated clearly that in a small but significant minority of patients using SSRIs can give rise to violent behavior including self-harm, suicide and violence to others, even up to killing them. He said that this was independent of any condition the patient might have, as the same symptomatology had been observed in healthy volunteers."

Prof Healy recommended that the warnings in respect of this class of drugs be strengthened to emphasise that the drug can cause the problem, and that feelings such as suicidal ideation, agitation, restlessness, hostility and others are caused by the drug rather than by the patient's diagnosed condition

CELEXA: Murder-Suicide: Two Doctors Say Celexa Caused Tragedy: Ireland | INTERNATIONAL COALITION FOR DRUG AWARENESS

·
Registered
8,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If someone wants out, they are going to do it. You can't stop them.

I know that stuff like this can weigh on you, even years later. It can sometimes just pop into your mind and put you into a real rut. I'm sorry that you lost a friend. There isn't anything that you can do now to help him, and all you can do is try to remember the good times you had with him. His hurt and struggle is over, and that must have been what he wanted. Regardless of what made him do it, circumstance he was in, medication, depression... he did it. You cant just fix the problem you have to fix the person. The friendship that you had, helped him. I'm sure of it. If you grew apart I'm sure he understood. It's not your fault. The only thing you can do is remember him sometimes when you drink your coffee, and remind people of the person he was.

He wouldn't want you to be sad, or upset over him would he?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Foremost I am sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.