New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to get my pinned muzzle break off so i can replace my gas block with a low profile one. Any one know the best way to remove it with out destroying the barrel and break or at lest the barrel

· Registered
167 Posts
This isn't something that I would recommend your average Joe doing. One mistake and you could screw up the threads on your barrel, or even mess up the barrel itself. I'd seriously leave it to a professional.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if only it was that easy, my gas block is one of the Rock River flip up sight and its two pieces.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Barring cutting/grinding down that GB anyway, (and tack welding the two parts together + tack it to the barrel because as a two piece it will move eventually), you can get a muzzle device off by finding the pin(s) and grinding the weld off them.

Due to weld penetration plan on cutting in about halfway through the collar of the device.
Once you can see the whole of the top diameter of the pin(s), work the device with a wrench a little back and forth and the pin will usually walk out enough to fall out or be pulled with pliers thus allowing the device to be fully unscrewed.

They are 'usually' positioned at 6 o'clock on single pin jobs.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Either cut the standard FSP down to be low profile or cut it right off then install a 2 piece low profile gas block.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Where do you find those?
I can't recall ever seeing one, but would be interested for a potential upcoming project.

· Registered
449 Posts
I'd seriously take it to a professional and let them do it, and worry about messing it up rather than you messing it up lol. I had Joe of Hill top guns in Canton NY do mine, he told me he just solders them in place.. so if I had to remove the muzzle break I could easily to install a different one or sell it to a person out of state.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
grind down the weld. drill out blind pin in a drill press.

· Registered
1,188 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I had Joe of Hill top guns in Canton NY do mine, he told me he just solders them in place...
So what you're saying is that he may be openly admitting manufacturing illegal non~compliant firearms then?
Unless its 1200° silver solder being used, it is illegal.
(forum search or ATF website search for info regarding 'permanantly affixed')

@Jeff:
Thanks for infobit. *wave*

· Registered
550 Posts
The way I understand the law that would be correct it needs to be perminent not take it off with a little heat. Welded and pined is the way to go. as far as taking one off that is blind pined you need to grind down the weld untill you can see the pin work the brake back and forth a small amount that should allow the pin to come out or be grabbed with pliers. this is not that hard to do I have done several with great results. You just need to do a little at a time.

· Registered
449 Posts
So what you're saying is that he may be openly admitting manufacturing illegal non~compliant firearms then?
Unless its 1200° silver solder being used, it is illegal.
(forum search or ATF website search for info regarding 'permanantly affixed')

@Jeff:
Thanks for infobit. *wave*
It's 1200* stuff, Joe isnt a dumby, been in business for 30 years. I doubt he'd risk it on somthing stupid....

Sniper101 I cant honestly remember, I had him also pin my stock, all together it was $80 I think. It was last year when I had it done.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Yeah it the one on the far right, i kinda dont want to use the specter block but it would make life a bit easier.
It will save you some time and trouble. If you go with removing the brake then you need to factor in a new brake and having that one pinned.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
It's 1200* stuff, Joe isnt a dumby, been in business for 30 years. I doubt he'd risk it on somthing stupid....
Level of intelligence has very little to do with the ability to be in business x years.
There's some pretty moronic people out there who have been operating a lot longer.

Not saying he is, not saying he is not and only brought up the possbility because of the way you worded it.
Specifically the part where he said he soldered so you could easily remove it to change or whatever.

'Permanant' doesn't mean 'easily removed', and unless you have torches able to reach high enough temperature, you should not be able to 'easily remove' the muzzle device.

If it can be accomplished at home with common tools by joe anybody chances are it isn't the right stuff no matter how many years he's been in business.
There's 25yr police vets who don't know 100% of the law, there's soldiers who retired after 20+ who can't use a rifle properly and there's doctors who have been practicing for 40 years who don't properly know medicine. *shrug*

But, he is the one with the FFL and legal permission to have/make or sell to authorized people and you are the one who will get the felony arrest, so go ahead and don't at least check, but instead continue thinking his 'years in business' will keep you out of prison if its not the right stuff.

I don't know about other folks around here, but to me reputation means a lot but its still just a broad selection of opinion and a starting point for further investigation as to whether I want to pursue further business relatons with somone/someplace, not a statement of fact that everything they do is golden.

ALWAYS question if it could potentially cause the you the loss of money, loss of freedom, and certainly puts you up for potential rectal trauma.

Not saying any of it to dog on you even though it likely comes across that way. (tough ****, I'm not retyping or retacting any of it regardless, so :p)

Just trying to give warning that you should mabe be looking a bit more out for yourself instead of relying blindly on faith in others mere presence to keep you out of trouble.

· Registered
449 Posts
Level of intelligence has very little to do with the ability to be in business x years.
There's some pretty moronic people out there who have been operating a lot longer.

Not saying he is, not saying he is not and only brought up the possbility because of the way you worded it.
Specifically the part where he said he soldered so you could easily remove it to change or whatever.

'Permanant' doesn't mean 'easily removed', and unless you have torches able to reach high enough temperature, you should not be able to 'easily remove' the muzzle device.

If it can be accomplished at home with common tools by joe anybody chances are it isn't the right stuff no matter how many years he's been in business.
There's 25yr police vets who don't know 100% of the law, there's soldiers who retired after 20+ who can't use a rifle properly and there's doctors who have been practicing for 40 years who don't properly know medicine. *shrug*

But, he is the one with the FFL and legal permission to have/make or sell to authorized people and you are the one who will get the felony arrest, so go ahead and don't at least check, but instead continue thinking his 'years in business' will keep you out of prison if its not the right stuff.

I don't know about other folks around here, but to me reputation means a lot but its still just a broad selection of opinion and a starting point for further investigation as to whether I want to pursue further business relatons with somone/someplace, not a statement of fact that everything they do is golden.

ALWAYS question if it could potentially cause the you the loss of money, loss of freedom, and certainly puts you up for potential rectal trauma.

Not saying any of it to dog on you even though it likely comes across that way. (tough ****, I'm not retyping or retacting any of it regardless, so :p)

Just trying to give warning that you should mabe be looking a bit more out for yourself instead of relying blindly on faith in others mere presence to keep you out of trouble.
I agree, but having a pinned break doesnt stop people from drilling it out and changing it does it not? Yes I agree he shouldnt had said "Easily removed" But his "Easily removed" could be a SOB to remove to the "avarage Joe" Would I ever remove it, no. Do I want to try to remove it, No.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
4 point welding is defeatable too, but requires more specialized tools to accomplish.
Full seam welding would be the ultimate perm, but if one had a lathe or a dremel and a lot of patience it could be ovecome.

The crux is the 'easy' vs accepted specifications for 'permanant'.

The whole of it really is that the barrel should be destroyed before the muzzle device can be unscrewed.
If you can pull it off with nothing but a wrench and vice block and not wreck everything, its not permanant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.