New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a savage axis 2 30-06 recently and have shot it a bunch to sight the scope in and just for the fun of it,

being only over 6 pounds with 150+ grain rounds it does whack the shoulder pretty good, I'm 6'4 210 so it's not a huge deal but I wouldn't mind throwing a nice brake on it, the barrel is not threaded.

my question is can I use a 308 brake since the projectile is the same and where can I get a kit with the thread and dye so that I can do it myself or should I leave it to a pro with a lathe?

riffle is super accurate and I don't want to disturb that

or or is a gel pad for starters a better choice, I don't mind the kick to much but I do let others shoot it and they aren't as big as me

And was thinking about a cheapie ebay bipod just for table or prone shooting, what do you guys think.

anyone here thread their own barrel before with a kit?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I would have a pro do it. I've done some AK threads but the die and guide are expensive. Anything else I've threaded has been done on a lathe.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The brake you need is a brake for 30 caliber that is the caliber of the 30.06. and 308.
The threading tools work but the tool costs money and a threading job is a 10 min. on a lathe done with the proper thread relieve.
Also consider a clamp or a pinned sleeve brake. this depends on the section (diameter) available at the muzzle.
what is the diameter you got on a light rifle like that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Don't do it in my opinion. The 06 recoil is not bad. Adding a brake will increase muzzle blast.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Don't do it in my opinion. The 06 recoil is not bad. Adding a brake will increase muzzle blast.
This is subjective. It depends on the load, rifle and the person. This is a light rifle and we do not know the person.
Very different to shoot from a garand than a light hunting rifle.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This is subjective. It depends on the load, rifle and the person. This is a light rifle and we do not know the person.
Very different to shoot from a garand than a light hunting rifle.
The op said it was no trouble for him but others shoot the rifle. In my opinion reduced recoil loads for the others would be a better option. A brake will increase noise. Nothing subjective about that! PH's hate when a client brings a rifle with a brake. What did you say?

;)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
If the rife is to much without a brake trade it in on a 7mm-08 or something in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If the rife is to much without a brake trade it in on a 7mm-08 or something in my opinion.
That is the best balanced SA offspring round in my opinion because it does all the things the 308 and 30.06 typically do but perhaps a little better and easier to shoot. And one could argue the 243 and 260 but in reality it also does everything the 243 and 260 can practically do but better and with better barrel life.
What I am saying is not just an opinion but it is supported by the facts and the math. in terms of internal and external ballistics.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The op said it was no trouble for him but others shoot the rifle. In my opinion reduced recoil loads for the others would be a better option. A brake will increase noise. Nothing subjective about that! PH's hate when a client brings a rifle with a brake. What did you say?

;)
That is why I mean subjective so given that the others can shoot what they need to shoot with lighter loads then one can tame it that way but otherwise
there is always the trade off like always with fierarms.
For the noise always double ear protection and noise cancelling electronic buds for hunting.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I went with the 08 and never looked back! I used to shoot the mags and such. Wasted of powder and meat in most situations in my opinion!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I went with the 08 and never looked back! I used to shoot the mags and such. Wasted of powder and meat in most situations in my opinion!
For the typical hunting needs most would do with a small remi or savage rifle in 18"-20" in 6.8spcII or 6BR norma or even 6.5BR. loading from AR15 magazines like the mossberg but better. A lot easier to shoot for everyone. But the 7mm08 does even more if ever needed.
But I am saying because people are buying supermagnums to go after white tail LOL w/o realizing more times than not less is more in the end.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not to intentionally hijack the thread but I hunt deer with an encore pistol chambered in 08 I really, really like it , hits as hard as a .308 and doesn't "wreck" you like a 30-06. To answer the op I would probably opt for the recoil pad, there are slip overs you could use for your smaller friends, if the recoil doesn't bother you the way it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to clear it up, others must have not read everything, I'm 6'4 and 210 have no issue shooting the caliber from a light riffle, was listening to others complain when they shoot it who aren't my size so I was thinking of making it more manageable for everyone even tho it's my rifle.

I know now the brake is loud, kinda like the way some of them look also, trying to figure out cost over impact

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
It's your rifle, do what you wish for you, not other people, let them buy their own rifle. ;)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Just to clear it up, others must have not read everything, I'm 6'4 and 210 have no issue shooting the caliber from a light riffle, was listening to others complain when they shoot it who aren't my size so I was thinking of making it more manageable for everyone even tho it's my rifle.

I know now the brake is loud, kinda like the way some of them look also, trying to figure out cost over impact
A good price for threading the muzzle would be $50.
A high price for threading the muzzle would be $100. With a bit more one could buy a threaded barrel and tool to replace the barrel. It is simple.
A $30 to $50 brake will do the job.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, not sure what to do just yet, ordered a few slings and a bipod tonight that should hold me over till next week lol

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Thanks guys, not sure what to do just yet, ordered a few slings and a bipod tonight that should hold me over till next week lol
Just fill the stock with sand. Recoil issues for others solved! :confused:

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Embrace recoil and noise with joy !!!

recoil is my trigger activated chiropractor and noise is my blast off rock band !!!

lol

...well as soon one is not shooting competition or a league all day long.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts