New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with muzzle brakes on a precision rifle? I want to put one on a Rem 700 in . 308 but I'm not quite sure which one to choose. Some seem a little gimmmicky and I don't want to end up with something that just looks bad ass but has no real function. I tried the search feature but this topic does not appear to have been covered yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I don't have one but I hear good things about Battlecomp and they make one for .308. You should do a search I think there was a thread about this.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Anyone have any experience with muzzle brakes on a precision rifle? I want to put one on a Rem 700 in . 308 but I'm not quite sure which one to choose. Some seem a little gimmmicky and I don't want to end up with something that just looks bad ass but has no real function. I tried the search feature but this topic does not appear to have been covered yet. Thanks.
Badger ordenance and Accuracy International provide very nice brakes that do not interfere with the accuracy potential of your system and are very effective managing felt recoil and climb.
Muzzle Brakes | Badger Ordnance
Sniper Rifle Systems - AE, AW, AX, AX50 & AICS Sniper Rifles | Accuracy International

Another one that excels in terms of performance is the Holland's Quick Discharge. Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply
This incorporates a radial baffle design and will not screw up with the accuracy like some other designs.
These are all indexed and will keep the dust off your face when shooting prone.

I cut my own as needed based on same long tested principals.

·
Silver Vendor - http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/
51 Posts
I've probably installed at least 50 or 60 brakes so I guess I qualify to answer.

I have yet to see any change in accuracy with a quality brake installed PROPERLY.

Point of impact change - yes, accuracy no.

They all do a pretty good job of taming recoil - from side ports to radial holes.

The side ports are nicer for prone but the radial designs require no indexing when installing.

Side port that thread AND clamp are easily indexed as well but require a little more lathe work (like Badger).

Dan
Darkeagle Custom Inc.

G

·
I've probably installed at least 50 or 60 brakes so I guess I qualify to answer.

I have yet to see any change in accuracy with a quality brake installed PROPERLY.

Point of impact change - yes, accuracy no.

They all do a pretty good job of taming recoil - from side ports to radial holes.

The side ports are nicer for prone but the radial designs require no indexing when installing.

Side port that thread AND clamp are easily indexed as well but require a little more lathe work (like Badger).

Dan
Darkeagle Custom Inc.
Example: Badger FTE Brake

Example: radial hole type

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
How much louder do they make a rifle? Is cleaning more difficult?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be staying away from radial designs since I enjoy shooting prone. I was trying to understand how the side ports would stay on the side under repeated shooting with just threading but now I see with the example pic that some also have a clamp. Thanks so much for the help everyone.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a muscle brake on my 338 EDGE and have to say have to agree with the majority no affect on accuracy but man they help with recoil. As far as having one on a 308 I really think that it is money that could be spent on something better ie. a little better scope or maybe a better trigger. I have a couple of 308's and dont have a brake on any. They do make things loader and they do take specail attention to clean.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just went through this with my 700 .308. PM me if you need more help. I went with JPrifles.com for mine and my father went with the Badger FTE for his. nokick.com offers a lot of different brakes/ compensators.

·
Silver Vendor - http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/
51 Posts
I'll be staying away from radial designs since I enjoy shooting prone. I was trying to understand how the side ports would stay on the side under repeated shooting with just threading but now I see with the example pic that some also have a clamp. Thanks so much for the help everyone.
The additional clamp is just one technique used for indexing. Another method is crush washers.

The best method that doesn't use the ugly clamp is to fit it properly in the lathe so it indexes exactly where you want it. If properly fit, nothing is required to keep them in place. This is how guys switch back and forth using a thread protector cap. Most however like the brake results so well, they leave the brake in place and use red loctite which can still be removed with a heat gun if needed.

Here is one being fit using the lathe:

imgp2927.jpg

Dan
Darkeagle Custom Inc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dan installed the radial design on my encore and while it does blow up the dust a bit shooting prone it isnt terrible. It certainly makes the 7mm much more fun to shoot round after round. as far as being loud we all know they are and should be wearing hearing protection anyway.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Things to consider and avoid in a brake:
I have installed, tested, designed, dozens of breaks, big and small, heavy and light, large and short and have not found one evidence that a larger brake is better. Sometimes made a couple of mill change in the exit hole and retested again firing 10 group tests using a secured slider rest with a dynamomerter to measure effect on recoil.
The best way to verify the effectiveness of a brake is by sticking to the classic directives and testing the dynamics of the brake itself in a controlled
environment. Small ports combined with large bleeding patterns are totally inefficient. Radial designs are ok but not the most efficient and pick up dust when in prone. Linear brake offer a nice alternative to noise reduction but are not the most efficient in eliminating recoil.
In indexed designs, the first partition in the brake should be no further in front of the crown than the bullet's full diameter.
Long brakes with long narrow passages, long exit holes and/or below .020 the diameter of the bullet and some exotic patterns all gave questionable results in both performance and accuracy potential.
Aside all other tests, POI is not the only thing that changes, a consistent accurate rifle might become not so consistent.
AR enthusiasts, 3 gunners and hunting enthusiasts do not have the last word on brake performance. look at the above patterns and the systems they are designed for extreme accuracy and performance. Companies that actually spend millions in R&D and every single part on those systems is designed for top performance.

..my two cents.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you want to get really tedious, check out the Ares Armor EFFIN~A tunable brake/compensator.

Dunno if they've got it out in 308 yet, but I seem to recall noises that they were going to create one at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts