1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Anyone who wears a shirt with a drawstring to a pistol class goes home with a shirt without a drawstring.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Excess fabric can do the same thing, pay attention and you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Good awareness about your clothing and your gear's limitations will help you identify any potential issues. Going to a trainer that can help you avoid a situation where your clothing, drawstrings, or zipper tags can get caught is priceless.

I've cut off or had students cut off a ton of those dangles.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I know I'll probably get crapped on for this, but this is one reason I like a pistol with a manual safety. Or at least a grip safety like the Xd or 1911.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I know I'll probably get crapped on for this, but this is one reason I like a pistol with a manual safety. Or at least a grip safety like the Xd or 1911.
it looks like it was a SIG handgun. personally i believe it could happen with any handgun on the market. it all depends on your training and how you choose to handle yourself and your weapons. i carry my g27 10+1 daily and i have tried to have a ND (dry) just to prepare myself for what could happen and cannot.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Would the grip safety help? Wouldn't you be pressing down on it when inserting the pistol into the holster?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Would the grip safety help? Wouldn't you be pressing down on it when inserting the pistol into the holster?
Depends on your technique I guess. Mine is to remove the web of my palm from the grip when holstering and place my thumb spanning the hammer to the grip as I slide it in the holster. My IWB holster is tight enough that I can't keep my thumb on the grip as it goes in. Probably easier to show than explain in text but suffice to say that a grip safety FOR ME would prevent this type of ND.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I ride the hammer into my holster. Any striker I carry has a striker indicator which pokes out the back, so I can get the same effect. In either case, the movement of the trigger would directly push the hammer/indicator against my thumb, making a ND impossible unless I forced it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I ride the hammer into my holster. Any striker I carry has a striker indicator which pokes out the back, so I can get the same effect. In either case, the movement of the trigger would directly push the hammer/indicator against my thumb, making a ND impossible unless I forced it.
I think we're essentially describing the same technique. My argument here is that with a grip safety, the safety would also prevent a ND since I'm not pressing the web of my hand into the grip. I don't own a striker fired pistol so I wasn't aware that pressing on the cocking indicator while squeezing would prevent it from firing.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think we're essentially describing the same technique. My argument here is that with a grip safety, the safety would also prevent a ND since I'm not pressing the web of my hand into the grip. I don't own a striker fired pistol so I wasn't aware that pressing on the cocking indicator while squeezing would prevent it from firing.
Only on some. Glocks and M&Ps, for example, have no indicator on the back. XDs, Ruger SRs, and Walthers do. I don't think that is the intended purpose of the indicator, but it works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow good info to think about. I usually just wear an inside the pants holster under a tshirt but this is something that I would have given much thought to. I don't typically wear anything that has a draw string at the bottom but like was stated in and earlier post even excess clothing can cause this. Good read.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is pretty much the only thing I really worry about.
I just take my time, and think about every step when I put it in the holster.
I never get complacent, always take every step and check, double check.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts