New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I apologize in advance for my ignorance......Cleaning the basement! I bought an 870 12 Gauge short barreled turkey gun for my son 2 or 3 years ago....He never used it and we want to sell. It is essentially new in the box....not that that matters I guess, but I was wondering if I must now sell to a dealer, or move through a dealer for a private sale.

I also have some Remington Copper Solid 12 Gauge Sabots.....same question for those...

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
You can meet your buyer at a FFL and do the deal, the FFL will run the back ground check.
You can mail the gun to the buyers FFL yourself.

This is how Jackson in Hen. does it.
You will drop off the gun to them, they want it for 3 days. You will advertise it and arrange to meet the buyer at Jackson's.
Jackson's will run the NICS check.
If your buyer passes, he hands you the money and he hands Jackson's $30.
Jackson's then gives him the gun.
$10 for the NICS check, $20 to run the serial in a database of stolen weapons.

You can not sell it out of your house unless it's to a family memeber.

I think the hardware store in Williamson will sell it on consignment for you. Short drive, no hassel, but less money.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
You can not sell it out of your house unless it's to a family memeber.
Immediate family member

NY LAW said:
"IMMEDIATE FAMILY" SHALL MEAN SPOUSES, DOMESTIC PARTNERS, CHILDREN AND STEP-CHILDREN.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Gun = FFL

Ammo = Nothing....yet. In January 2014 if the law isn't gone it will also need an FFL from what I gather.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
. what's the legal definition of "Domestic Partner"? Slippery slope....
not slippery or even a slope

1. Definition. "Domestic partner" means a person at least eighteen years of age who: (a) is dependent upon the employee for support as shown by either unilateral dependence or mutual interdependence, as evidenced by a nexus of factors including, but not limited to, common ownership of real or personal property, common householding, children in common, signs of intent to marry, shared budgeting, and the length of the personal relationship with the employee or, if the employee is deceased, was so dependent upon the employee immediately prior to the employee's death; or (b) has registered as the domestic partner of the employee with any registry of domestic partnerships maintained by the employer of either party, the state, or any county, city, town, or village, or, if the employee is deceased, did so register prior to the employee's death. (c) For the purposes of this section, the definition of domestic partner made by this subdivision shall supplement or supersede any inconsistent definition of such term by any other general, special, or local law, ordinance, code, or charter so that no person qualifying as a domestic partner, as defined in this subdivision, whether registered or unregistered, shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed not to be a domestic partner. (d) For the purposes of this section, the term "domestic partner" shall include the term "surviving domestic partner". Provided however, "domestic partner" shall not include any person who is related by blood to the employee in a manner that would bar marriage to the employee in New York state. 2. Death benefits. The domestic partner, at the time of the death, of any employee shall, if such employee had no spouse at the time of his or her death, be deemed to be the surviving spouse of such employee for the purposes of any death benefit, including but not limited to funeral expenses, to which a surviving spouse would be entitled upon the death of such employee, and any and all such benefits shall be paid to such domestic partner. 3. Applicability. The provisions of this section apply only to cases in which the employee's death occurred as a result of the terrorist attacks that occurred on September eleven, two thousand one. 4. Construction. (a) The definition of the term "domestic partner" made by subdivision one of this section shall not be construed to be an exclusive definition. (b) The enactment of this section shall not be construed to divest any court of any authority such court may otherwise have to adjudicate a person a domestic partner on the basis of any criteria other than those specified in subdivision one of this section, whether such person has or has not registered as a domestic partner.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
They can call their fees whatever they'd like but FFL's do not have access to any type of stolen weapons database.
I thought the same thing, the guy at the counter explained whatever it was just recently changed to allow FFL's to access it.
It's seems more plausible than Jackson's guns and ammo lying to me to extract $20.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
are there specifics on domestic partnership?

couldn't I "date" someone for an hour, move in to their house, buy the gun, and then break up and move out? You know, like high school style?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I thought the same thing, the guy at the counter explained whatever it was just recently changed to allow FFL's to access it.
It's seems more plausible than Jackson's guns and ammo lying to me to extract $20.
Sorry brother, I think they are taking you for a ride. LE is able to run a gun serial number to see if its been reported stolen but I have not been told I have that ability. It has been something I have been concerned with doing private sales but as long as I follow the rules of logging, collecting identification etc. its about as close as I'm going to get for now/

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeh , I think that's just smoke n mirrors game at Jacksons
Appears to be... I don't understand why they want the firearm for three days either (no such legal requirement). Sounds to my like they're using this to get around an actual private sale (put the firearm on their books for a few days and then "sell" it as if it was their own to get around the $10 max. allowed fee). In a true private sale the buyer would fill out a 4473 and the FFL would run the NICS check before the firearm were logged into the FFL's book. A true private sale isn't taxable. If the FFL is actually selling the firearm as their own it's a taxable sale and would cost the buyer more, which wouldn't be right...

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I don't care about the $30, that has always been the transfer fee at Jacksons. I knew that going into the deal.

It doesn't make sense they would blatantly lie to every customer in the store about something that so easily could be disproved.
That has to open your business up to a hell of a lot of liability. Why would they risk that for $20?

Perhaps it is possible they have an agreement worked out with the local police to check serial numbers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I understand and agree about the $30. The fee should be as it always was, I've no problem with that either. Only they can answer your other questions, I don't see what they can possibly gain either.
I asked law enforcement (at the town/city and county levels) years ago about checking serial numbers. They said absolutely not. The NCIC system is for law enforcement purposes only and access is tightly controlled. If they were run a serial number and it came up stolen and they didn't have it in their possession at that time they're screwed.
Unfortunately, FFL's recourse is his/her maintaning proper books and ID records so traceability is 100% maintained.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you mean filling out the required 4473 form using a computer at a firearms dealer there's nothing wrong with that. Most dealers do not use it because it's more cost to them (PC must be available to the customer, printer, paper). On the upside, it does eliminate any mistakes and/or omissions in the filling out of the 4473 form. SSN is always optional.
Going to PA to do the transfer, as previously stated, could be legal if the firearm were a longgun and persons wanted to pay the fees. For a handgun transfer between two NY residents, not legal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.