New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I thought only police were worthy of carrying a gun because their trained. Oh! Wait! This must be one of those incidents the antis talk about when the gun magically goes off and starts spraying (in this case one round)

none the less, hope this is ok. Arrest the dad for a negligent discharge and endangering a minor.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
im just glad the kid is in stable condition.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Hope the child makes it through with flying colors.

As for the shooter; hopefully, after an investigation, some sort of punishment comes his way.

A few years back, I think in Niagara County, a regular Pistol Permit holder had a negligent discharge, killed the neighbors dog. He lost his permit the next day and was charged with three misdemeanors. I will search for that case see what came of it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
"Officer John Gigantiello, an 11-year veteran assigned to the K-9 unit, suffered a graze wound to one of his hands when the weapon discharged inside his home"

They make it seem like the gun had a mind and discharged on its own. At least the didnt say it "went off".

On another note, why was the gun pointed in the direction of a child? I thought that was a basic rule, never point at something you're not willing to destroy.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
well put chris...

you never point a gun towards anything your not willing to shoot. and they sure to manipulate the story to make it seem like the gun has a mind of its own... that goes with the whole "guns are evil" agenda.. they couldnt have said something like

""Officer John Gigantiello, an 11-year veteran assigned to the K-9 unit, suffered a graze wound to one of his hands when he negligently discharged his weapon inside his home"

·
Registered
769 Posts
On another note, why was the gun pointed in the direction of a child? I thought that was a basic rule, never point at something you're not willing to destroy.
Three year old boys can move faster and more erratically than a bouncy ball. A safe direction can quickly and easily become a very dangerous direction. This is why I make every effort not to manipulate guns with toddlers in the room.

We have no idea what actually happened. Sometimes **** happens despite all our efforts to prevent it. Rather than judge and admonish from afar, take a few minutes to think about how easily this could be you. Look for the weaknesses in your routine. Remember the last time you let your diligence slip for a split second. Fix your flaws (yes, you have flaws) lest you become the next example.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
agreed manny, they can move quickly and of course this is a horrible accident.

what i think annoys most people is how the media always makes the gun out to be the thing that has a mind of its own, and how POLITICIANS make the police out to be the only highly trained, and qualified people that should be allowed to have guns.

I think most of us are smart enough to realize that accidents do happen, and can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I didn't even think to question the "gun went off" phrasing until I found this forum. Those small, insidious manipulations always surprise me.

Looking back, I don't mean to target you personally Chris. I haven't the first issue with your handling. I'm just using your comment as a springboard to offer my opinion of how these stories should be viewed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Clear the gun and keep your finger off the god**** trigger!

It should be habit, like wiping your a**

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sometimes **** happens despite all our efforts to prevent it. Rather than judge and admonish from afar, take a few minutes to think about how easily this could be you. Look for the weaknesses in your routine. Remember the last time you let your diligence slip for a split second. Fix your flaws (yes, you have flaws) lest you become the next example.
I respectfully couldn't disagree more. I can safely say that with a gun something like this WILL NEVER happen to me. My diligence has never and will never "slip" when it comes to guns.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Sorry kid but your dad is an idiot.
But he is allowed high cap mags and "ASSAULT weapons"!!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm quite interested in the details on how the discharge occurred.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Three year old boys can move faster and more erratically than a bouncy ball. A safe direction can quickly and easily become a very dangerous direction. This is why I make every effort not to manipulate guns with toddlers in the room.

We have no idea what actually happened. Sometimes **** happens despite all our efforts to prevent it. Rather than judge and admonish from afar, take a few minutes to think about how easily this could be you. Look for the weaknesses in your routine. Remember the last time you let your diligence slip for a split second. Fix your flaws (yes, you have flaws) lest you become the next example.
I do not have a child so i can not comment to that. All i can say is that i would not be manipulating a firearm with a child present. I agree accidents to happen, but it seems this was preventable. if he has checked his gun to ensure it was safe, and then checked it again, this would not have happened.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
just for a topic of discussion...

whenever I take my guns out of the safe, I will drop the mag, and check the chamber and the magwell 3x's. Sure, I can see its clear on the first check, but I always visually check it 3x's, and if the light is dim Ill finger check it too. then I will point it in a safe direction and drop the hammer.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Terrible, I hope the kid makes a complete and speedy recovery. I'm not going to demonize the father because of his occupation, I think he's probably suffering enough. Hopefully this can be a lesson to us all and not the base for another stupid law.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Negligent, negligence, nincompoop!

Moron and SHOULD be charged like any other negligent moron!

There is no accidental discharge, and truthfully, doesn't matter where it was pointed. Thank the Lord the kid is ok, but, no finger on trigger, no accident, period!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts