New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i know this is mainly for NYS laws but maybe you guys can help me out, i live in nys now but have been contemplating gtfo of this state. i have had a few job offers on the other side of the country but the biggest thing holding me back is i dont want to have to get rid anything in my collection and i still want to be able to carry where ever i decide to move to, my collection consists of everything from a bolt action 22 to semi auto 50.

one of my offers was in fresno and another just outside of LA but from what i have heard is CA gun laws suck just as bad as NYS.

had one in Hawaii when i visited last year, but cost of living down there is outrageous

had another in oregon, but when i went out to visit and asked some of the locals they didnt even know if it was legal to have a gun lol

had another in boston, i have turned all these down based on gun laws. My head hunter asked me, which states would i like to move to? and i had no idea how to answer that.

so heres my question, What states are pro gun that i should look into? with not necessarily hotter weather then ny but more consistant, i like the summers here its not too bad, but i hate the winters here. i dont like the fact that it can hit 90 during the day but then drop below 40 that same evening lol

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Most of best pro-gun states don't meet your weather requirements, you might have to adjust that factor if you really want to reside in a pro-gun state.

Wyoming would be amongst the best choices, but Winter remains a serious consideration.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Well, you've mentioned CA, HI, and MA in your list there so far. The worst gun laws in the US exist in those states along with NY and IL. :O

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think WI is becoming a more gun friendly state, I know they recently passed reciprocity for NY permit holder, but I know nothing about rifle laws.

PS - i'll gladly put the DE's on my permit for holding while you establish residency and get a permit, where ever it is that you decide to go :)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Don't forget about NC or VA. Their Summers can be hot but Winters are virtually non-existent in both States and they are both pro-gun. If you're against the hotter Summers, Indiana or Ohio would be my next choices.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Concidering I grew up here in NY, then lived for nearly 20 years in Idaho, I would have to agree with TIMMYP! I loved living there. It's more than just the gun laws that I love about Idaho. The cost of living is a lot lower than NY. You don't have to deal with the roas dide checks. They can't do them there. It was rued a violation of the Idaho Constitution. No vehicle inspections. So that check engine light can stay on and no one cares.

·
Registered
948 Posts
OK so i know this is mainly for NYS laws but maybe you guys can help me out, i live in nys now but have been contemplating gtfo of this state. i have had a few job offers on the other side of the country but the biggest thing holding me back is i dont want to have to get rid anything in my collection and i still want to be able to carry where ever i decide to move to, my collection consists of everything from a bolt action 22 to semi auto 50.

one of my offers was in fresno and another just outside of LA but from what i have heard is CA gun laws suck just as bad as NYS.

had one in Hawaii when i visited last year, but cost of living down there is outrageous

had another in oregon, but when i went out to visit and asked some of the locals they didnt even know if it was legal to have a gun lol

had another in boston, i have turned all these down based on gun laws. My head hunter asked me, which states would i like to move to? and i had no idea how to answer that.

so heres my question, What states are pro gun that i should look into? with not necessarily hotter weather then ny but more consistant, i like the summers here its not too bad, but i hate the winters here. i dont like the fact that it can hit 90 during the day but then drop below 40 that same evening lol
Of the States you have listed Oregon is definately the best. Total state preemption, Shall Issue CHL, Unlicensed Open Carry legal, Full auto legal, no restricions on mags or calibers...very very good state for gun owners. You can carry almost everywhere. Oregon State Law on firearms is ORS 166. ORS 166.173 is all that local givernments are allowed to restrict. ORS 166,291 and ORS 166.292 are the laws on License to carry (Called a "CHL") and how they are to be issued.

CA and HI are super bad, as is MA

Tell me where in Oregon you are thinking of and maybe I can help you. I lived in Oregon from 1955 to 1963, but I'm in WA now.

OH yes, as you are from NY...No firearms registration, buy all you want, whenever you want, no license required.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of the States you have listed Oregon is definately the best. Total state preemption, Shall Issue CHL, Unlicensed Open Carry legal, Full auto legal, no restricions on mags or calibers...very very good state for gun owners. You can carry almost everywhere. Oregon State Law on firearms is ORS 166. ORS 166.173 is all that local givernments are allowed to restrict. ORS 166,291 and ORS 166.292 are the laws on License to carry (Called a "CHL") and how they are to be issued.

CA and HI are super bad, as is MA

Tell me where in Oregon you are thinking of and maybe I can help you. I lived in Oregon from 1955 to 1963, but I'm in WA now.

OH yes, as you are from NY...No firearms registration, buy all you want, whenever you want, no license required.
if i go to oregon i will most likely be in portland for the first 6 mo to a year while i figure out exactly where to go

·
Registered
948 Posts
if i go to oregon i will most likely be in portland for the first 6 mo to a year while i figure out exactly where to go
Portland is a very liberal city. It is a very pretty city and it has all the city things going for it, but it is also one of the places that restrict loaded OC within their city limits. You can OC or CC with a license, and you can OC loaded on you NY license (but you can't CC on your NY license). Where you will want to live is what you want from where you live. Housing within the city of Portland is more expensive than housing outside. You don't have to go too far to be quite rural if that is what you like, and the highways are pretty normal for out here. Not excedingly crowded, but rush hour is busy.

Lots of companies start their day at 06:00 (09:00 NY time) especially when they do a lot of business on the east coast. The companies that focus on Asia start later, which actually helps the commute. It spreads the traffic out over 3 or 4 hours.

Property taxes are better than NYS property taxes, there is NO sales tax, but they do have a hefty state income tax. (not quite as bad as NYS, but hefty anyway. Portland is mild and damp in the winter, sunny, dry and warm in the summer. Very pleasant climate. Highs in the summer average 70's low 80's, Average lows in the summer are about 50 or 55. Average highs in the winter are probably about 45 +/-, winter lows maybe 35 +/-.

The farther south and east in Oregon, the warmer and dryer (assuming the same elevation) Winter snow lever is usually 3000' to 4000' (where there will be snow all winter). Humidity is never a problem like it can be in NY. The humidity is pretty high in winter, but not in the summer. Portland is not a dry as where I live, but I live east of the Cascade mountains...something that is always in View...beautiful mountains.

I took my wife from NY out here in 1970, she has never looked back. We go back to see her family in NY, but she has no desire to live there. When we retired her brothers offered her some family land to build a new house on out there, I suggested we just move to the dry side...we moved to the dry side.

Oh yes, might add, Portland, like almost everywhere, has had a small drop in housing prices over the last 8 years or so. I think the drop has pretty much stopped there though. Prices look pretty stable there right now.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Portland is a very liberal city. It is a very pretty city and it has all the city things going for it, but it is also one of the places that restrict loaded OC within their city limits. You can OC or CC with a license, and you can OC loaded on you NY license (but you can't CC on your NY license). Where you will want to live is what you want from where you live. Housing within the city of Portland is more expensive than housing outside. You don't have to go too far to be quite rural if that is what you like, and the highways are pretty normal for out here. Not excedingly crowded, but rush hour is busy.

Lots of companies start their day at 06:00 (09:00 NY time) especially when they do a lot of business on the east coast. The companies that focus on Asia start later, which actually helps the commute. It spreads the traffic out over 3 or 4 hours.

Property taxes are better than NYS property taxes, there is NO sales tax, but they do have a hefty state income tax. (not quite as bad as NYS, but hefty anyway. Portland is mild and damp in the winter, sunny, dry and warm in the summer. Very pleasant climate. Highs in the summer average 70's low 80's, Average lows in the summer are about 50 or 55. Average highs in the winter are probably about 45 +/-, winter lows maybe 35 +/-.

The farther south and east in Oregon, the warmer and dryer (assuming the same elevation) Winter snow lever is usually 3000' to 4000' (where there will be snow all winter). Humidity is never a problem like it can be in NY. The humidity is pretty high in winter, but not in the summer. Portland is not a dry as where I live, but I live east of the Cascade mountains...something that is always in View...beautiful mountains.

I took my wife from NY out here in 1970, she has never looked back. We go back to see her family in NY, but she has no desire to live there. When we retired her brothers offered her some family land to build a new house on out there, I suggested we just move to the dry side...we moved to the dry side.

Oh yes, might add, Portland, like almost everywhere, has had a small drop in housing prices over the last 8 years or so. I think the drop has pretty much stopped there though. Prices look pretty stable there right now.
i went an visited my sister there last month. i didnt bring any pistols cause i wasnt sure of the laws, but ur saying with a nys permit i could open carry but i cant conceal carry?

she lives right in the middle of the city in a highrise townhouse type thing. the company would be paying for my housing so i would most likely stay in one of those until i decided if thats where i wanted to stay then try and find a house just outside the city. from what i am reading on line and on here i think oregon might be the way to go.

·
Registered
948 Posts
i went an visited my sister there last month. i didnt bring any pistols cause i wasnt sure of the laws, but ur saying with a nys permit i could open carry but i cant conceal carry?

she lives right in the middle of the city in a highrise townhouse type thing. the company would be paying for my housing so i would most likely stay in one of those until i decided if thats where i wanted to stay then try and find a house just outside the city. from what i am reading on line and on here i think oregon might be the way to go.
Relevant ORS is 166.250 (the prohibitions to concealed carry) and ORS 166.260 (the exemptions) Except, in ORS 166.250 ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes there is an definition in ORS 166.250(3) that says a handgun in a holster on your hip is not a concealed weapon per this section. Then in ORS 166.173(2)(c) there is an exemption for those with a license to carry a concealed weapon. A lot of people in Oregon say that this exemption is only for those that carry under ORS 166.291 and 292..but IMHO, that is not so,,,The exemption for the OR CHL holder is in ORS 166.173(2)(d) where it specifically links to ORS 166.370 and ORS 166.370 links to 291 and 292.

Court case too watch is Ward V State of Oregon. Oregon Judicial Department Appellate Court Opinions Ward did not have any license, he had a loaded handgun in a backpack, in his car, in Portland, and was found guilty of loaded carry under Portland's restriction...So, warning...on your HIP, in the open, and your NY license should do fine.

In unrestricted cities, what Ward did would not have been illegal...but this was Portland. The Portland ordinance is here: http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?c=28514&a=332592

·
Registered
156 Posts
PA is pretty good. It's roughly the same weather as NY. Gun laws are much more common sense. You can buy/own without a permit. CCW's are shall issue. However, all handgun transfers require a NICS check--even FTF transfers. Cost of living is pretty low. It's also a great state if you're into outdoor activities like hunting, fishing or hiking. Downside: some areas are economically depressed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts