New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I just joined the site today. I have a few question I need advice on.

I'm moving to Tioga County, NY next month due to a business opportunity. I currenty have CCW's for PA, UT, AZ, FL, VA, NH, ME, and CT. (I have taken numerous pistol training courses to acquire those permits/ license) I'll be applying for my CCW for NY in February 2013. I'll be leaving my firearms at my mom's house in PA until I possess a CCW for NY. I'm curious, would this increase my chances of getting an unrestricted CCW in NY? Also, does the references have to reside in Tioga County? And once I acquire my NY CCW, how can I legally transfer my firearms to NY?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Welcome to the commy state of NY,im from PA as well now living in Tioga county.It takes a lawyer (which im not) to figure out all the laws here,but someone here will probably try to help ya!

·
Registered
235 Posts
You need to have referances from Tioga County. I believe you need to live One year in the County before you may apply. Once you are licensed the pistols must go FFL to FFL. Takes a year to get a pistol license so that's the difficult part. The full carry depends on the judge. You have to explain youre training and experience with carry concealed. Best of luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can only offer my experience with my move to NY from PA a few years ago. Each county has their own rules/regulations (what ever you want to call their procedures!) The first thing you need to do is contact the Pistol Office or equivalent for Tioga County and ask questions.

I was able to get waivers on both the 1 year residency, and references needing to be in my country, requirements by writing a letter for each request to the Judge who signs off on pistol permits, requesting a waiver (and listing military service, PA permit, several NRA classes, etc.) You may be able to do the same. All my references were from PA.

As far as other State's CCW permits go, my experience was "they don't mean crap" but, again, the judge in your county may think different.

Some folks from Tioga country should be along with some more/better information. Don't know why they have not responded to your post!

·
Registered
67 Posts
First piece of advise is to stay in Pennsylvania at all cost (I really wish I had!). No matter what the cost of transportation to and from your job, you will save money in the long run staying in PA - and - you will be able to keep your guns.

Tioga County will be getting a new judge in 2013 and I have been told a new Sherrif Deputy to do background searches and the like. Who that new judge will be and what their stand on Pistol Permits will be is totally up in the air.

If you choose to not heed my advice, be aware that the MINIMUM wait period for residency is 6 months. All references must be from Tioga County. NO guns with over 10 round magazines. Crazy restrictions on features of long guns (collapsible stocks, adjustable stocks, etc...). You will have to screen every gun you have to make sure it is legal in NY. If not, you will have to sell it or leave it in PA.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
. NO guns with over 10 round magazines. Crazy restrictions on features of long guns (collapsible stocks, adjustable stocks, etc...). You will have to screen every gun you have to make sure it is legal in NY. If not, you will have to sell it or leave it in PA.
Your county has it's own restrictions on magazines and long guns? Or, are you referring to the NYS assault weapon ban?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Kiss your freedom goodbye :(

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hi everyone.

I just joined the site today. I have a few question I need advice on.

I'm moving to Tioga County, NY next month due to a business opportunity. I currenty have CCW's for PA, UT, AZ, FL, VA, NH, ME, and CT. (I have taken numerous pistol training courses to acquire those permits/ license) I'll be applying for my CCW for NY in February 2013. I'll be leaving my firearms at my mom's house in PA until I possess a CCW for NY. I'm curious, would this increase my chances of getting an unrestricted CCW in NY? Also, does the references have to reside in Tioga County? And once I acquire my NY CCW, how can I legally transfer my firearms to NY?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Welcome aboard, Your first stop should be register to vote!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts