New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Texan dating a girl in Brooklyn and it looks like I'm headed that way. I joined NEShooters as well, though that seems to have a bigger focus on NH/MA than NY. I shoot a wide variety of disciplines, mostly for fun, though I'm beginning USPSA and and working to get into PRS. I enjoy trap/skeet/clays as well as pistol and long range, and particularly enjoy reloading. I have a lot of questions, mostly related to the laws and what options are available, and I'm happy to share what little knowledge I have.

Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Convince your girlfriend to move to Texas...it will be a lot easier. ;) New York State laws are fairly tough...but, NYC is a whole different story. If you have to be in NYS, consider finding a place upstate...Columbia or Dutchess county...or Delaware is another good choice. If you enjoy all those different pursuits you will want to be near a good club or range...lots of choices the further north you go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unless you’re in Law Enforcement (exempt), be ready to give up shooting or anything to do with firearms, especially in NYC, not just NYS. You can get a permit which allows one to keep the pistol or long gun in the home. Yes, you can take it to a range to practice or to hunt if you have a hunting license, but forget carrying for protection. Ain’t happening. Oh, and it will need to be unloaded in a locked box, as far away from the vehicles occupants while driving. Really draconian compared to Texas and many other states. You seriously need to rethink this move, if you’re 2nd amendment rights and right to protect yourself and loved ones is important to you. Sad to say, but NY is experiencing its worse times since then’70’s and ‘80’s.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You pretty much have very little 2A rights in the boros or Long Island for much of it.

Do not bring your firearms to NYC without having their permission.

Rockland and Westchester counties will give you a permit a year or so after you allpy for their permission.

You need to move to atleast Orange, Dutchess or Putnam Counties before you can achieve unrestricted carry on your permission slip. You still can not bring your pistols to NY without the local Sheriff giving you permission with a concealed carry liscense.

...Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one option that has come up is actually keeping my place in Houston as a tax domicile. I'm a travel doc, so essentially I'm scheduled to be in the middle of nowhere Texas for at minimum 120 days a year and ideally 165-170. That means that if I'm outside of New York for another 20-25 days a year, I am not paying NY state or NYC taxes (I.e. earn no income in NY, so the residency requirement and having a domicile in Texas is what matters most). That essentially allows me to bypass the entire problem and it actually saves money because the rent on my place in Texas is half of the extra tax burden of moving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I’m pretty sure you need to be a resident in N.Y. to have a pistol permit.
...Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Ron
Understood. If I go that route, it means that my only opprotunities to shoot will be as I'm passing through Houston, which might actually come out ahead overall.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I didn’t say that you couldn’t shoot in NY, just that you may be required to live here for the pistol permit.

I believe there are exemptions for competition shooters and the like. There may be an exception for shooting on a range with a out of state permit. I just don’t have first hand knowledge of this.

...Ron

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad to have you. There's a lot to learn here. Looking forward to learning from you, too. See you around!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
...Ron
Certainly, it has often been treated that way. However, legally, there is no explicit prohibition against non-residents possessing a license. There is (at least) one implicit prohibition, found in section 7 of §400.00:
If such license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state
There's a lot packed in that sentence. First, it clearly allows for people who are not US citizens to receive a permit. Second, it allows for the issuance of a license to US citizens who are not a "citizen of [...] the state." But, thirdly, it adds the "and usually a resident in the state" condition. Which constitutes a loosely-defined prohibition on out-of-state people who are not "usually a resident" of NY.

Now, NY's definition of residency is not necessarily the same as you or I might use. It's not necessarily just living here - simply owning some land in the state, such as a hunting camp, will make you a resident. I believe there are several other ways to qualify as being a resident of the state, but I forget where all those definitions are buried in the law. Suffice it to say, it's much more broad than just "does the person live here."

Next, there are explicit allowances for certain non-residents to apply for a permit, in section 3 of §400.00:
Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the applicant resides, is principally employed or has his or her principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper
So here, we have an implied allowance for non-residents who work or own a business in the state. Counties that border with PA, such as Broome and Chemung, have been issuing licenses to people from neighboring PA counties like Susquehanna and Bradford under this allowance.

As an aside, this is the first time I've really noticed the words "as merchant or storekeeper." I wonder if that limits the allowance to business owners of certain types of businesses. Would, say, an office count as a "merchant" or "storekeeper"? I've never heard anything to suggest this train of thought, just musing.

Finally, there is one other implicit allowance for non-residents. All of the implied prohibitions on non-residents surround the application for the license, not a qualification for holding an already-obtained license. Meaning, there is no prohibition on a person moving to another state and keeping their NYS permit (note: the law states that you must inform the NYSP within 10 days of changing your address, though people typically do this via the licensing officer). Several people have posted on this forum that they maintained their permit after leaving the state, including going through the recertification process. Additionally, the copy of the pistol permit database (back when it was public info) lists hundreds of people with out-of-state addresses.

·
MSG
469 Posts
Don't friggin do it! I was gone for 26 years in the Military and when the elders of the family are gone, so are we, most of my brothers and sisters are already gone. It really is that bad and I live in the country on a dead end road. You've been warned, good luck on your choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts