New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of a cross-post from my first post on the introduction forums. Hopefully you guys can help me figure out step-by-step how to legally keep my guns!

I'll be moving from CA to Brooklyn at the end of September. I've already come to understand that my handguns can't come with me (I have to wait 6 months to be considered a resident, and then apply for a handgun license, correct?) so I plan to sign them over to a responsible friend here in CA.

But I also have two Chinese made SKSs, totally stock, fixed 10 round mags, and a Ruger 10/22. I want to bring them with me. I'm really struggling to understand what exactly I need to do to legally bring these guns with me when I move and keep them in NYC. I would most likely be flying in to JFK.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I when I arrive? Or do I have to wait 6 months to be considered a resident first? That sounds like the exact same situation as the handguns if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I'm one of those terrible media types, and that's where my really good job offer is.

Can you help me figure out how to be a legal and responsible 2nd Amendment proponent in this fresh hell? I'm feeling really clueless here. My CA-gun-owner instincts are telling me that the rifles should be much easier to transport, register and posses than the handguns, but I still can't figure out what the step by step process is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You'll need to do one of two things: leave the rifles with your friend, then get your NYC long gun permit; at which point your friend can have them sent to a NY FFL, who can do the transfer OR find an FFL in NY who will hold on to them for you until you get your Long Gun permit & then do the transfer. Either way, you cannot own any firearm in NYC unless you have a permit. You will also have to register all of them with the NYC PD. For all intensive purposes, the second amendment does not exist in NYC.

Now, if you want to live outside the 5 burroughs and commute, the long gun issue changes. At that point you just need to make sure they are NY compliant and you can bring them with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for clearing that up. Sounds like it's as bad as I feared. A couple more questions:

1.) As soon as I have a signed lease, am I considered a resident and able to start the permit application process?
2.) What is the time frame for approval of a long gun permit? I've heard handgun permits can be up to a year.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Not to sound like a pain, but just because you will work in Brooklyn, it does not mean you have to live there. An apartment in Westchester county or Nassau county is only 20 to 30 minutes away. Trust me, you do not want to live in Brooklyn. The majority of Brooklyn is one big Ghetto. I'm pretty sure that your colleagues do not live in Brooklyn unless they live in Downtown Brooklyn and even then, the rentals are astronomical and you will still be surrounded by the Ghettos.

If you move to another county out of NYC, you can bring your rifle's with you. There is no permit required. Rifles are treated the same as handguns in NYC. You would have to ship them to an FFL. Upon getting your permit for the rifles, the FFL will confirm that they have a NYC legal 5 rd magazine and give you a ticket. You then have to get the firearm inspected by the police. In NYC, the SKS is not legal unless you have 5 rd magazines for them. Bayonets are a no go as well.

There will also be parking available at your doorstep in these counties unlike Brooklyn. If you live in Brooklyn, it can cost you about 500 dollars a month to park your car in a lot.

If you live in Nassau or Westchester, there is commuter train service to NYC.

All this can be avoided by just renting in another county. Equate Brooklyn ghettos to Compton or Watts if you get my meaning.

What part of Brooklyn?

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you can avoid living in the city, you should. Gun laws are comparatively less restrictive and you won't get double-dipped by the city income taxes. Believe it it not, it takes as much time to commute inside the city as from places considerably upstate but close to Metro-North. And, you are closer to good hunting and shooting spots and farther away from city folk.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
No where near the majority of Brooklyn is ghetto. That's an absurd statement. The vast area of south Brooklyn is almost entirely middle class, with neighborhoods interspersed that could easily remind one of nice small towns anywhere in America. Sorry, that had to be said.

My friend just went through the long gun permit process and it took him about 2 months. As another option, entirely up to you, you can bring your long guns into the city legally and voucher them at a precinct to be picked up when you have your permit. You can legally possess an unregistered rifle in NYC for 72 hours.

FYI, I'm fairly certain that the mag limit for long guns in NYC is 5, so your SKS' won't be legal. A permit holder can clarify that, but I can confirm that an FFL told me that when I brought a fixed mag semi rifle in for service last year.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Both Brooklyn and northern parts of Manhattan have encountered a good deal to gentrification in last twenty years. That also means expensive,

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you bring your guns with you as soon as the plane lands in queens and you have them you are a felon because you do not have a rifle/shotgun permit. The ONLY way you can have your rifles (not the sks"s they cant live in the city with you) you would have to "voucher" them at your local police station where they pile them in a room with tags with the perps guns then apply for your permit which can take on average now about a year to get if they will give it to you at all, they are not REQUIRED to. If you get denied you will have to hire a lawer a sue to get your permit which there are thousands of those in limbo right now. If and when you get your permit you can go get your guns out of jail if they are still in one piece and they did not loose them. OR you can move right outside of the city limits...the belt pky east just a bit to floral park or belrose on the nassau county side and the NYPD can stay the hell out of your life and off Your guns. If you own guns you are a complete fool to live in the city so close to nassau county. Forgive the hard line i am taking here, i lived in that hell hole most of my gun owning life moved north to be free and got the safe act three years later. Dont do it!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
If you own guns you are a complete fool to live in the city so close to nassau county. Forgive the hard line i am taking here, i lived in that hell hole most of my gun owning life moved north to be free and got the safe act three years later. Dont do it!
^^^^What he said. It is a no brainer. Stay in the city limits and deal with the NYPD and jump through hoops and POSSIBLY be able to keep your guns or move to Nassau County and keep all the rifles you mentioned. You will also be able to get a restricted handgun carry permit in Nassau as well which is good in the rest of the state.

There are better neighborhoods in Nassau with a better class of people. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
and fwiw, if you are in the media, as a gun owner and 2A supporter, you will be a very small miniscule minority, and i would suggest that you keep your mouth shut. It could have career repercussions.BTDT

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
SKSs are not legal as they have 10 round mags. Need to be 5 round mags. And even when you try to register the SKS with a 5 round mag, they make you bring it to an FFL in NYC to get a letter proving it is legal in NYC now.

Plus, the bayo lugs are not legal on semi autos in NYC.

Lastly, you have to get a long gun permit for NYC before bringing any guns in.

Don't live in NYC. I am a part time resident with a NYC long gun and handgun permit...it was not easy or cheap.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
SKSs are not legal as they have 10 round mags. Need to be 5 round mags. And even when you try to register the SKS with a 5 round mag, they make you bring it to an FFL in NYC to get a letter proving it is legal in NYC now.

Plus, the bayo lugs are not legal on semi autos in NYC.

Lastly, you have to get a long gun permit for NYC before bringing any guns in.

Don't live in NYC. I am a part time resident with a NYC long gun and handgun permit...it was not easy or cheap.
So can the ARES SCR be registered?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So can the ARES SCR be remag though.tered?
Yes I called and asked the head investigators. After a day or two they called back and said it was legal.

That is until they amend the admin code and ban it by name. Then it must be removed from the city. No grandfathering. Bastards.

They will make you prove you bought a 5 round mag though

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why are you moving to New York City?

High rents
Nowhere to shoot
Supermarkets which all smell like sour milk
Nowhere to shoot
Everything costs more in Manhattan
Good Roads in Westchester county
Nowhere to shoot in NYC
Hostile atmosphere to gun owners unless you are well connected, well heeled or well known.
Westchester actually has a county owned range. Trap, skeet, small boare, large bore. Some limitations but better than most of NYC..
Good comuter rail transportation for Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk.
Oh did I mention there's nowhere to shoot.
And just wait till you get your first parking ticket. You can buy a cruise missle for the cost

I grew up on the Bronx and i would not willingly move back. Sorry, i stick with westchester.

Good luck. Oh by the way did you fill out the 10 page retaurant financial qualification form? You will need a notorized copy with two photographs of your self and four letters of reference, at least one from a senior officer at a commercial bank. You will then be permitted to make reservations at a New york restaurant.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
You're actually wrong about there being no where to shoot in NYC. You'd be surprised how many ranges there are within the city. I'm not sure about the Bronx, but every other boro has at least 1 range. Staten Island alone has 3, two of them with outdoor 100 yard rifle ranges.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts