New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in Jefferson county. I have always lived in NY. If i move back home to westchester county and say i do get a ccw permit from Jefferson county, does westchester county have to give me the same permit? will they tell me i can not have my ccw for westchester even though its a NY state permit...

·
Registered
54 Posts
A guy I ran into went through it when he moved into Broome county. Broome told him he had to surrender his pistols and apply for a new permit issued in Broome. After he received his permit he could have his pistols back. He called his original county Chemung I believe and they told him that he does not have to surrender his permit nor does he have to apply for his broome county permit. He could keep his Chemung permit as long as he put in a change of address with them. That was a little over 10 years ago things could have changed. Someone may have more updated info for you or you could call the Jefferson or Westchester county permit office and ask them directly. Good luck

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
A guy I ran into went through it when he moved into Broome county. Broome told him he had to surrender his pistols and apply for a new permit issued in Broome. After he received his permit he could have his pistols back. He called his original county Chemung I believe and they told him that he does not have to surrender his permit nor does he have to apply for his broome county permit. He could keep his Chemung permit as long as he put in a change of address with them. That was a little over 10 years ago things could have changed. Someone may have more updated info for you or you could call the Jefferson or Westchester county permit office and ask them directly. Good luck
Glad he starightened that out, sounds like someone gave him BS info, I agree, call Jefferson County and ask if you can just change the address, I don't think Westchester can do anything about it if Jefferson allows you to do that?? My permit is in Saratoga and I live in Warren.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Westchester is tough.. I know two people who moved into the county from another areas of NY. ONe got an unrestricted permit and the other was restricted. Both were unrestricted in their original county. I guess that doesnt really help. sorry, good luck.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't know if this will help you, my permit was issued out of Oneida county 30 years ago and I have lived in Herkimer county for the last 28 years. I did the standard address change within 10 days of moving and that was it. There has been zero problems adding or deleting pistols from my permit. If you feel more comfortable in your issuing county then just do the address change and leave it there.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Westchester is tough.. I know two people who moved into the county from another areas of NY. ONe got an unrestricted permit and the other was restricted. Both were unrestricted in their original county. I guess that doesnt really help. sorry, good luck.
Like I said, if you can just change the address, do it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts