New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im moving out of state (to MA). my question is what happens to my NYS permit. the police told me it sould only take 8 weeks tops to get a MA permit because im using my weapons mostly for work purposes. when i get my MA permit do i then contact NYS and tell them ive moved out of state and if so i was thinking of switching to a non resident permit at that time or will i lose my NYS permit totally? anyone have any experiance in this matter or know of what do do in this situation? help me out

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I have no experience but what some others have said and the law.
NYS does not have a "non-resident" permit. You must be a nys resident to APPLY for a permit. Some counties will tell you that you have to turn it in while others wont.

My advice is do not go to your county clerks office and tell them you are moving initially. Once you move you then have 10 days I believe to report your address change or else you are technically committing a misdemeanor by violating article 400. So before 10 days elapse call or mail your county clerk informing them of your change in address. If your lucky they will write it down and not ask for your permit back. If they say you have to turn it in then my suggestion would be to ask them to have the judge send you a letter ordering you to turn it in since NYS law does not say once you move out of state your permit is revoked and you would like the letter to contain the reason for revocation. So hopefully at that point the judge just wont bother since he will open himself up to being taken to court and you get to keep your permit. Worst case scenario he sends you a letter to turn in your permit and you can just mail it back to them. But that is atleast what I would do.

·
6,795 Posts
If you don't live in NY, you can NOT have a NY permit. Period, end of story.
Really can you back that up with the law or court case that says so?

Oh wait it doesnt. So how about if you are not sure and cant back it up dont come accross as being 100% right. Court cases have said Non residents can not apply for permits but they do not say they cant be kept after moving out of the state.

Here is the law in regards to revoking a pistol permit.

11. License: revocation and suspension. The conviction of a licensee anywhere of a felony or serious offense shall operate as a revocation of the license. A license may be revoked or suspended as provided for in section 530.14 of the criminal procedure law or section eight hundred forty-two-a of the family court act. Except for a license issued pursuant to section 400.01 of this article, a license may be revoked and cancelled at any time in the city of New York, and in the counties of Nassau and Suffolk, by the licensing officer, and elsewhere than in the city of New York by any judge or justice of a court of record; a license issued pursuant to section 400.01 of this article may be revoked and cancelled at any time by the licensing officer or any judge or justice of a court of record. The official revoking a license shall give written notice thereof without unnecessary delay to the executive department, division of state police, Albany, and shall also notify immediately the duly constituted police authorities of the locality.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what happens to my guns when i turn in my permit? someone was saying that i have to turn them in to be destroyed...if thats the case i aint turning in S#$T !!!!

·
6,795 Posts
You dont have to turn in your permit period until told to do so. There is no "automatic" revocation of your permit when you move out of state. So I would move out of state and take your pistols with you then notify your county of your new address. If they want your permit back then fine, if not then great but either way they cant take your guns to be destroyed.
can you have your pistols in the state your moving too? If there is an issue then add them to a family members permit so they can hold on to them if need be until you can get them in your new state.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I believe you need to get you new pistol permit in MA then transfer your guns over to the MA permit. Then if necessary cancel/revoke the NY permit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought I was going to have to move to MA last fall so I researched it a bit. A good place to read up on the License to Carry (LTC) you'll need in MA is on the Northeast Shooters forum (Northeastshooters.com).

From what I remember:

- You will need a Firearms Owner ID (FOID) to possess your long guns (I feel like this was only up to 5 round capacity) , a LTC B to possess a handgun and an LTC A for concealed carry and high-caps (up to 10 rounds for long guns, more if you've got pre-bans).
- FOID is shall-issue, the LTC is may-issue.
- Your LTC A/LTC B allows you to possess any handgun; serial numbers are not recorded on your license and you do not need to register any handgun that you purchase before you can take it home.
- You may bring your firearms with you into the state when you are moving. They must be transported appropriately and locked up in your new residence. You may possess them for up to 6 months while you are waiting for your FOID/LTC application to be processed. A common recommendation I have heard is to bring them with you and give them to someone you know who possesses an LTC.
- There is a roster of "approved" handguns for MA. You will not be able to purchase a new handgun that is not on the list (I don't think it can legally be transferred into the state). I do not think that used handguns that are not on the roster can be transferred in via FFL, this is why it's important to bring what you own with you.
- The LTC needs to be periodically renewed. I think that you go through the entire application process each time.
- Your LTC is only valid while you live in the issuing town/city. You will need to obtain a new LTC if you move to a different town or city.

All of this is from memory from the research I did about a year ago, so it may not be accurate but I think most of it is at least close. These are the major things I remember and I would look into things further.

As for the information that usmc provided, that is correct. Update your address when you move and if you do not receive a letter stating that your permit has been revoked, you will be a non-resident permit holder.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thats far from the truth
This, there's plenty of people that have left and still have their permit. All depends on the clerk and whether or not they send it in front of the judge after you notify them. All they *have* to do is update the address. If they notify the judge, the judge may issue revocation.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Wayne County compares DMV records. When they see your address has changed they revoke your permit. Don't know what happens in your county.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts