New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have an idea of what I'm supposed to do, after searching and reading, but I just want to be sure. I have an unrestricted permit from Fulton Co. I just purchased a house in Herkimer Co (not living there yet). It is my understanding all I really need to do is contact State Police to notify them of an address change within 10 days of moving? Is this correct? Nothing needs to be done on the county level, correct? I can just continue using the Fulton County office for my amendments? I would like to keep it in Fulton County if possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i dont think you even need to contact the state police unless they issued your permit. you need to notify the licensing office of your new address, but you can keep the permit from your original county and just do amendments though them.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think I have an idea of what I'm supposed to do, after searching and reading, but I just want to be sure. I have an unrestricted permit from Fulton Co. I just purchased a house in Herkimer Co (not living there yet). It is my understanding all I really need to do is contact State Police to notify them of an address change within 10 days of moving? Is this correct? Nothing needs to be done on the county level, correct? I can just continue using the Fulton County office for my amendments? I would like to keep it in Fulton County if possible.

Thanks.
i moved 3x three counties, did a transfer form each time..1 page form and sent in with 2 checks of 5$ to each county..then at least your permit matches should u ever be pulled over

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just the county needs to be notified... assuming that is the county the permit is issued in? I'd really rather not transfer it to a new county, if that is legal to do so, which I think it is from what I've read here. I'd hate to bring my unrestricted permit and transfer to Herkimer Co, where unrestricted basically does not happen anymore... I don't mind driving to Fulton to do my amendments.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Call your permit office in Fulton County and ask them if you can keep it there. They should tell you who you have to notify and how to go about doing it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good call. Thanks for the advice everyone.
I just did a transfer from Schenectady to Fulton six months ago. You just change your address with your current county. They will update the NYSP with one of the change of address forms you sign.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
So just the county needs to be notified... assuming that is the county the permit is issued in? I'd really rather not transfer it to a new county, if that is legal to do so, which I think it is from what I've read here. I'd hate to bring my unrestricted permit and transfer to Herkimer Co, where unrestricted basically does not happen anymore... I don't mind driving to Fulton to do my amendments.
They would not "demote" you, your current unrestricted will follow i did it 3 counties. As of address changing it's just you notifying em within 10 days in a system. Your actual permit stays old address which will then conflict with your drivers license, should you have the fear if needed to show them in a pullover..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They would not "demote" you, your current unrestricted will follow i did it 3 counties.
How sure of that are you? I know you changed 3 counties, and just maybe the judge in those counties didn't care? I'm almost certain I read right on here there is the possibility they would change it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
How sure of that are you? I know you changed 3 counties, and just maybe the judge in those counties didn't care? I'm almost certain I read right on here there is the possibility they would change it.
Well i can't say 100% how bout 99.9%..i guess..but if i was a man of numbers and statistics..id say 3 different counties 3 different judges all the same conclusion, makes it a pretty good argument lol.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i can't say 100% how bout 99.9%..i guess..but if i was a man of numbers and statistics..id say 3 different counties 3 different judges all the same conclusion, makes it a pretty good argument lol.
Last post in the thread, member says Albany Co usually makes you restricted if you come from somewhere else with unrestricted... Like I said, seen a few people say this, and it is probably specific to that county, but who knows.

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/86077-afraid-buy-new-pistol.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts