New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm pissed I transferred it. Just went to the office yesterday to make sure they got my paper work from Putnam county for the transfer. Turns out they got it but the officer tells me "it came in with restrictions so were going to keep the restrictions on it" I had a hunting and target. So I ask him how to get the restrictions lifted and he tells me that you can't other than applying for a new permit all over again. He said that after five years the judge might lift the restrictions which is also bs. If I had known that I would have kept my permit in Putnam because at least there the amendments when you buy a gun only take a week and there's a possibility of getting your restrictions lifted. Any advice? I'm really pissed and upset that I am denied the right to carry and protect myself and my family and that I basically can't do anything about it. Did that officer give me bad info? Is there a way to appeal it and take off the restrictions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Not sure why you are mad that you still have restrictions? How long have you had your permit? Write a letter to the judge and state your facts and ask him to lift the restrictions. If he denies you, and that is most likely since you just moved there, ask him what you need to do. I thought Dutchess gave unrestricted in general? Good luck.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I've never heard of Dutchess putting restrictions on a license, this must be something new. Move back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why you are mad that you still have restrictions? How long have you had your permit? Write a letter to the judge and state your facts and ask him to lift the restrictions. If he denies you, and that is most likely since you just moved there, ask him what you need to do. I thought Dutchess gave unrestricted in general? Good luck.
I am mad because I want the right to carry my pistol to defend myself, my family and others and I am upset that I am possibly denied that for no reason and have no way to appeal it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never heard of Dutchess putting restrictions on a license, this must be something new. Move back.
Haha if I would have known that it was not going to be a possibility I would have. Its been told to me that it is at least possible in Putnam to talk to the judge and request full carry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just might be bad info?
I really really hope its bad info. I just dont know why he would tell me that with such certainty that it is not possible unless I apply again.

Who at the permit office told you this?
I am not sure of his name but he was open carrying and I think I remember him wearing a badge so I am pretty sure he was an officer. He was dressed business casual though.

Thanks for everyones responses and input keep it coming please especially if anyone has similar experience or knows for sure. Happy holidays all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I really really hope its bad info. I just dont know why he would tell me that with such certainty that it is not possible unless I apply again.

I am not sure of his name but he was open carrying and I think I remember him wearing a badge so I am pretty sure he was an officer. He was dressed business casual though.

Thanks for everyones responses and input keep it coming please especially if anyone has similar experience or knows for sure. Happy holidays all.
Write a letter to the Judge and Sheriff explaining your situation. I did this back in September when I was denied for my permit due to a mistake I made on tha application. The Judge approved me and I picked up my permit last week.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's not bad info, it's a policy they adopted early last year. Same thing happened to me. I am restricted in Dutchess as well since I transferred from Ulster with restrictions. I wrote an appeal to the issuing judge back in august and still have not gotten a reply.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds kinda bogus to me. I would start a new application asap as a fail safe to waiting for them to get back to you in 4 months and saying you have to reapply anyway lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds kinda bogus to me. I would start a new application asap as a fail safe to waiting for them to get back to you in 4 months and saying you have to reapply anyway lol.
So we should re-apply, have to pay another $150+ dollars? any wait another year? - yes a year wait in dutchess - you need to set up an appointment to submit your application here, and they are booked for over 6 months. then after that you need to go through the permit process and the wait begins.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well aware of that. I have my permit. Just saying... yeah shouldn't have to agreed. But who knows what their issue is, considering there really shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Merry Christmas ! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Write a letter to the Judge and Sheriff explaining your situation. I did this back in September when I was denied for my permit due to a mistake I made on tha application. The Judge approved me and I picked up my permit last week.
It's not bad info, it's a policy they adopted early last year. Same thing happened to me. I am restricted in Dutchess as well since I transferred from Ulster with restrictions. I wrote an appeal to the issuing judge back in august and still have not gotten a reply.
This blows...do you have the name of the judge and where I write to? Also what do you write? Just request to have restrictions lifted?

·
Registered
876 Posts
They are taking forever and a day to process amendments now a days. Sounds like the OP talked with Frank at the permit office. I had dealings with Frank in the past. I had come across an old but great shape Colt Det. Special that was unregistered. I called to inform them about the gun, and after 2 weeks he came to pick up the pistol and run the number for me. Turned out the Colt came back clean and I was able to put it on my permit. Frank was very polite and professional.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone know what the process is to file for a full carry? I was just there finalizing my transfer from Putnam, but Frank was busy with other people so I didnt get a chance to ask him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts