New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is only about long guns from state to state from yourself to yourself. If I purchased a rifle legally when I was a New Jersey resident and have since moved to New York, do I have to transfer the rifle via a FFL to myself in New York?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Boy what a question. I think as long as the guns are legal in NJ and legal in NY you can drive them to your new home. If you have any type of assault weapon then you get into a sticky area. JMHO as I am not a legal guru just an old guy who tries to keep up with all this silliness

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
IANAL, but as long as the rifle does not meet the AW definition in NY, you are fine as long as you owned or possessed the gun.

In storage in NJ while you move to NY - good to go.
On temporary loan to a friend or family member while you moved - good to go.
Sold gun in NJ to another person to raise funds to move, but went back to NJ and bought it back - go through a FFL.

You only need a FFL in NJ anyway, even if you buy a rifle out of state. You can buy long guns at a FFL outside your state of residence (as long as state law does not prevent it) and transport it back into your state. Only handguns have to be received from a FFL in your state of residence.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck in NY
Thanks, I'm originally from NY and I've been living here over 10 years this go around; I just happen to still have some rifles at my old place in NJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts