New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just saw this in the November issue of American rifleman.

Looks pretty cool, anyone have any feedback on them?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It's gonna be hard to choose between a bolt .308 and this thing...I think the deciding factor is how this would perform with typical 5.56 ammo (55gr.) AR-15 mag sharing is a huge, huge bonus in my book.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's gonna be hard to choose between a bolt .308 and this thing...I think the deciding factor is how this would perform with typical 5.56 ammo (55gr.) AR-15 mag sharing is a huge, huge bonus in my book.
Has a 1:9 twist, same as most non milspec AR's. With a similar barrel length, one would imagine grouping would be the same from your standard AR15.

I have a bolt action Savage in .223 and the grouping with walmart quality loads is terrible. And that's coming from a 24'' barrel. However, with hand loads, it's a nail driver.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A friend has an MVP in 223 and I shot it a few weeks ago. It is still very new, so the bolt was pretty stiff. Also apparently I wasn't pulling the bolt back far enough to grab the next round. I pulled it back, it ejected the empty shell, but it slid over the next round in the magazine. I'm guessing the it was probably just a case of me not being familiar with the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
There was a review of these guns on one of the shooting shows on tv just a week or two ago. There is also a model coming out that you can take down (remove the rear stock) so you can pack it easily too. The magazine usage idea was great IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I've got a MVP patrol

push feed action. Pmags fit tightest/best.

Accurate enough guns. Factory fiber optic front with Williams rear sight.

in a state that ARs are neutered beyond recognition, the MVP is a nice choice, along with the Mini14 ranch.

MVP patrol makes a nice trunk gun, camp rifle, or plinker for feeding it cheap 223 (or 556!)

ill have to post pics tonight..

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
In my opinion it is a solution looking for a problem. My biggest issue with it is the barrel length. I like the idea of a bolt gun in 5.56 that shares AR mags, but this is not a gun you would use in place of an AR-15. Rather, it would be more for precise and/or long range shooting, for which I'd like a 20"+ barrel. 16.25" is not enough to get the full potential out of the round. If I want a lightweight, short-barreled weapon in 5.56, that is the AR-15.

I do see the appeal, but I would rather have any of the .308 scout concept rifles (and even those I'd like a 20" barrel). The Savage Hog Hunter comes to mind. For a truck gun, a number of choices are preferable to me, including pump action shotguns and lever action rifles.

So don't get me wrong, it's cool as hell. I played with one in the store and it almost came home with me. But I just can't make it work on paper when there are better options for every role it could fill.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Decent rifle very light and maneuverable. Mag fits pretty loose in the magwell and the bolt is super stiff but other than that it's nice.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have an MVP in 223 with 24" barrel, and after 100 rounds the bolt is smooth as butter in mine. I'm new to the caliber and love it, very little recoil and even in this crazy ammo market you can still find 40/50 cents per rounds. Accurate and VERY FUN to shot. No good for paper IMO (very small holes), but great for small metal targets.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.