·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like how they designed the rifle around existing magazines.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I will be getting one of these.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sweet … I'm gonna have a breakdown for a takedown. That's just cool. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it would be nice to have a more classic back-end … as much as I like the tacti-cool.

(update) I watched the video. I guess in this case Mick Jagger was wrong, I can get what I want.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was just looking into the MVP in .223/556 so I called Dicks at the Danbury mall in CT. The person told me they don't carry that AR style rifle in this store. I told them but it is bolt action rifle. They replied sorry try another store.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
IIRC it's supposed to be officially released at SHOT in a few weeks and it's unknown when it will actually hit the market.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
IIRC it's supposed to be officially released at SHOT in a few weeks and it's unknown when it will actually hit the market.
Well manufacturers have gotten pretty good at releasing things that are readily available, for example the Ruger American rimfire. Most have learned the lesson of the past and don't release something until they are ready to ship out about 1000 of them.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Well manufacturers have gotten pretty good at releasing things that are readily available, for example the Ruger American rimfire. Most have learned the lesson of the past and don't release something until they are ready to ship out about 1000 of them.
I have no idea why you would think this.

Gallery of Guns did a sneak peak, this is not an official announcement by Mossberg. The 308 MVP line isn't even listed on Mossberg's website yet. The rep even said in the video that they were just starting production in November, you probably won't see them start hitting the net to buy in small quantities for another 6mos at least. Stuff like this is leaked out prior to SHOT Show, just like the Glock 41 & 42, and the Remington R-51 to get everyone's interest.

Manufacturers, especially the gun industry, are horrible at announcing things that aren't in stock. It creates more interest and publicity and almost guarantees the product to sell out when it hits the shelves.

Perfect example is the S&W M&P. The official release date was around 04/12 and just now you can find it coming in stock in any quantity but thats usually online and not dealer shelves.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Care to elaborate, meketrefe?
thanks
For short distances that someone in NY would encounter it probably isn't a big deal. The OP isn't buying a bench rest rifle and hasn't said they plan to shoot 600 yd matches with it so not a huge deal. They should be aware though, that as you drop under 20" in a .308 you lose critical velocity which means projectile choice becomes much more important. The average .308 projectile has limiting behavior based on its velocity (transonic specifically) which will negatively affect the point of impact and energy delivered on target. If he's shooting paper and the occasional deer at 100-200 yards it's not such a big deal, but I'd read up on projectile choice especially the newer A-MAX bullets.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Care to elaborate, meketrefe?
thanks
Sure.

Two things:

A) Lots of powder is burned outside the barrel. There is a substantial difference in muzzle velocity with the average 308w load and if you compare
with an 18" or 20" one can see why it is a waste. Also some hunting bullets need the speed to properly expand like those harder and stouter like TSX and nosler bonded so one might experience decreased wounding potential with average loads.

B) Because of the short length and less weight these rifles are quite uncomfortable to shoot. An auto-loader at least has some counter forces from the action / buffer that tame perceived recoil but a light 16" bolt carbine can be a handful even for experienced shooters. I think a 20" is a pretty manageable 308 carbine and really the least acceptable length to get a decent performance but if one must have a shorter one never go below 18".

Since most loads are optimized for 22" and beyond the 16" is a bit of a waste unless one reloads optimized ammo otherwise it might be wiser to consider a 7.62x39 that is much cheaper to shoot or even a 6.8spc in bolt action that will take AR15 magazines and will achieve pretty similar objectives with much less noise, blast and concussion and potentially more accurate.

Shoot one before you buy it and then you will see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.