New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took her out today to put her through her paces and work on some "tactical" shotgunning ... man is it hot out..

about halfway through my 2nd box she failed to extract and tried double feeding.

this gun is from the mid 80's based on model number... i ended up having to pop the shell out with an allen wrench... she hasnt done this before could it be the extreme heat? barrel was blistering hot. it happened a couple more times however not every time.. the other FTE's were ejected once i re-racked the slide. only the first refused to eject..

I assume a piece is worn out either that or i am limp wracking the slide.

any ideas?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Take it apart. Does the extractor look worn?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My Mavrick did this (Mossberg 500 clone) and I cleaned it very good, made sure to take a dental pick around the edges of the extractor and just overall scraped, polished and buffed everything I could, certain ammo still does this in that particular shotgun however it is not as bad as it used to be. Also clean and scrap very good around the edge of the barrel that inserts into the receiver, after some extra buildup shells can get wedged in there a bit more then the usual, scrape around that with a pick or a knife or something too. Be sure not to use any files or anything that could actually scrape away metal, that could make a worse problem then it being dirty in the first place. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havent torn it all the way down yet.. thanks for the tips... it will be the first full tear down since i got it.. ill update post once done

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My Mossy 500 was doing this during trap shooting. Every so often a hull wouldn't eject and I had to run a wad knocker down the barrel.
I eventually started running a bore snake through the barrel every 2 or 3 boxes (50-75 rounds) to keep the soot clear and keep the breach oiled and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took her down for the first time and cleaned her up the other day.... she throws the shells like its brand new now... thanks for the tips guys

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
took her down for the first time and cleaned her up the other day.... she throws the shells like its brand new now... thanks for the tips guys
Glad to hear it, if it does jam up again don't get discouraged, just note the type of ammo that did it, like I said my Mavrick 88 can be picky, it's least favorite is federal buckshot, but Mossbergs are usually of higher quality.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My cousin had that problem on his 870 a few years ago while hunting.

We got home and I took the trigger assembly out and the bolt and almost fainted, it looked like he threw it in the ocean for a week and then tossed it in the closet, the extractor spring was locked right up.

I marinated the whole thing in PB Blaster, scrubbed with a brush after a few days and sprayed it down with oven cleaner. Then showed him how to clean it and to never do that again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
couple sticks today at the range... im going to have to take the bolt out and really get into the 2 side extractors....

·
Registered
451 Posts
my 835 does that only with 3 1/2 remington rounds.. my 500 does that when the barrell get hot (as you mentioned) while shooting skeet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts