New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, quick question for anyone who knows, I was looking at getting a mossberg 930 blackwater edition, I was doing some research here and apparently that weapon is considered an assault weapon?? So my question is, if I was able to purchase it would I just have to buy a normal cap for the tubular magazine and deep six the +2 extention and it'd be fine right? Or do I have to have it like welded on for permanence?? Any one got some insight into this? Appreciate the help.

--Pete

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The reason it is considered an assault weapon is because it has a capacity of more than 5 (which you already knew) is semi automatic, and has a pistol grip. My advice to you would be to find another stock for it that has no pistol grip, this will drop its assault weapon status, and it sounds easier then getting a new magazine.

To answer you question about the magazine I would find one that is actually shorter or weld a block in it as you said, it would have to permanently only hold 5 shots.

My advice is to find a different stock, easier solution and should cost less money, regular Mossberg 500 stocks may fit it but I'm not sure.

I also found this blog type thing, Why bother with the blackwater edition? From what I can see, all it has is a pistol grip that make it NYS illegal, follow this guys build, he started out with a regular Mossy 930, and his build is NYS legal from what I can see (unless his mag extensions put the capacity over 10 rounds, I didnt read all the details, remember more then 10 = NYS illegal)

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I assume you're looking at the 85370, correct? Why not get the 85360 and not have to worry about it? Plus, the MSRP is $100 less. The stock on its own is less than that, and then you have the option of switching to the 8-shot setup, or going with an entirely different stock altogether.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dystruktoboi1 ---> good information, I think I'll do what you say and just change the stock on it, although I'm fairly certain I can get a different cap for the tubular magazine and find a way to make it no more then 5, but there in kinda lies my problem, I like the pistol grip on it lol. all my rifles have a pistol grip on them except for my little ruger 10/22. well that and my old hunting rifle but that's not important lol....I'm more adjusted to a pistol grip and it feels more ergonomic to me, just more natural feeling.....what do you suggest?

Noodles----> Ummm I'm not sure stock you're talking about the link took me to the same stock that's on the blackwater already...

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Well I would maybe try a thumb hole stock? They aren't technically a pistol grip but I would think they feel very similar (haven't actually held one myself).

What noodles was saying is that you could go with this model:

Mossberg 930SX 12g 18" 8SH CB GRS MAT $579.00 SHIPS FREE

and then buy the stock he linked you and it would save you money in the long run, however there is still the 8 shot semi-auto thing to worry about.

Here is a thumb hole stock you could put on there:

www.mossberg.com

out of stock but that gives you an idea.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Noodles----> Ummm I'm not sure stock you're talking about the link took me to the same stock that's on the blackwater already...
If you're talking about this shotgun, it's the same. Just a stock photo for that one. Only Choate could make a simple fixed pistol grip stock that ugly.
And doing a little more looking into it, the Blackwater version has cheaper sights than the good LPA sights featured on the other models.

And as for a thumbhole, you can see here that it's not going to happen with that stock. The factory Mossberg thumbhole stock for the 500 and similar shotguns uses a short bolt through the thumbhole area to secure the stock to the receiver. The 930 has a recoil spring tube that goes back considerably farther than that. I haven't tried it, but I doubt even regular 500 stocks would fit. Fortunately, a Mesa Urbino may be out for it, and with a little ingenuity, patience, and determination I'm sure one of those could be turned into a passable "thumbhole" stock. Though with the top-mounted safety, I guess I don't really see a benefit to adding a pistol-grip stock to any Mossberg, but that's just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen ((or lady(ies) if it applies)) you're help has been very good and I greatly appreciate it, it appears I have some more shopping to do before I can get my new toy lol....thank you again.

-- Pete

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I spoke to my local shop owner, he said all I would have to do is get the normal tubular magazine cap on it so that it doesn't accept more then 5 shells....so I could buy it if I also bought the mag tube cap and had them put it on there and walk out with that on it instead of that +2 extension....and that would make it perfectly legal....just in case ya'll were interested.

-- Pete

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The 53693 model looks like plain old fun. Mossberg & Sons | 53693

For some reason, the description says 6 round cap, but it's actually nine. /shrug
Maybe they count the capacity with that lil dowel Mossberg always puts in the mag tubes, the one EVERYONE removes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i own the mossberg 930 SPX without the pistol grip stock and it doesn't have that cheesy "backwater" stamp. other than those two things it is the exact same rifle. with the pistol grip is tough to reach the safety on mossy's so its more look than practical anyway. its a great gun BUT it had to return it to the factory due to a sticky elevator,i hear thats common with 930 spx's. another potential issue is an underpowered spring but that was changed when i sent it in for a new elevator. once i got it back she ran flawlessly BUT(again) you'll need to change the factory steel cup follower for an S+J HARDWARE(DELRIN) MOSSBERG NO JAM SHORT FOLLOWER(canadian company,$18.99 shipped to your door). its made from a material that doesn't "stick" to the mag extension seam. once i got the Delrin follower she loaded 8shells every time. except when using mags or extended length brand slugs of course. i was pissed when i got it but once i sent her back and got the delrin follower she rapid fires 8 shells in any mixed up order(mag slug next to low brass bird shot and whatever u put in) EVERY time you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I love hearing about guns that are brand new but need aftermarket parts to make them run correctly LOL.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah... its crazy that that is the reality of todays market. i wanted to vomit when she wouldn't run out of the box. she runs perfectly with no FTF's now but i had to do research, then mail n wait and all that crap. makes you wonder what the designers of the particular arm get paid to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts