New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to propose an idea. Basically, if I receive at least 10 likes from people who would like to participate in this program, I will go ahead and buy the supplies needed to start it.

Also, are ADMINS "OK" with me doing this? I would like their approval as well before I begin.

Program name: Mosin Nagant/7.62X54R Headspace Share Program

What it is and How it Works:

I currently own the Go, No-Go, and Field Gauge headspace gauges for the 7.62X54R caliber. I am willing to lend them out for a nominal fee, as long as they are returned to me in the condition they were sent. The fee will be $5 total and can be payed by Paypal Gift, money order returned with the headspace guage, or $5 cash returned with the gauge. The fee will help me cover the shipping, handling, and packaging materials cost.

Once I receive a request from a NY Firearms Member, I will begin the process of shipping out the gauges. I will mail them to you in a poly envelope. Enclosed in the poly envelope will be the headspace gauges, instructions, and an unused poly envelope so you can return the the headspace gauges to me so the process can be repeated.

Once again, here is a summation of the steps:

1. Post in this thread that you want to borrow the headspace gauges.
2. I will PM the NY Firearm users who have posted in this thread who wish to use the gauges in the order that they appear.
3. The gauges will be sent out to you after needed information is collected.
4. Please read the instructions included with the gauges to prevent any damage to them.
5. Use the return envelope enclosed to ship the gauges back ASAP to me (YOU are responsible for return postage fees).
6. Once the gauges are returned to me, I will then send them out to the next person on the list.

*Note: Participating members must have at least 100 posts and at least 1 positive trader rating. I will allow some veteran members to participate w/o having the positive trader rating requirement. The purpose of these requirements is to prevent these gauges from being stolen or mishandled by any untrustworthy members.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
I honestly don't see an issue with this. You're taking a chance on loaning out the tools for many Mosin owners in HOPES that the tools come back. No guarantee on anything in life except death so ... hey .... $5 for someone to find out if their Mosin is 100% safe to shoot seems reasonable to me.I know our members are trustworthy so I'm not expecting that they would not be returned so that someone else could use the go-no go tools. This is stickied. If an admin or another mod has an issue with this, by all means delete the thread or make suggestions, but I think this is a good idea. Keeping our members safe one Lincoln at a time!! ;)

· Registered
2,866 Posts
I'd be interested in getting on the list, though I'll need to request the trader rating exemption. I don't sell guns, I like 'em too much :)

· Registered
109 Posts
If your worried about somebody not returning the gauges, simply change it to a "pre-payment" which will include the nominal fee plus a deposit. When the gauges are returned, you forward the deposit. It keeps everything honest. Maybe a higher deposit if the 100 post/1 trader requirement aren't met.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Just checked my rifle, looks like it is safe. Headspace kit is in the mailbox waiting to be picked up monday and returned. Catfish made it really easy, he included a return bag with his return address preprinted on a sticky.

· Registered
2,866 Posts
My rifles checked out just fine. As chris22 said, Catfish made it easy as pie.

Tried leaving buyer feedback but it won't let me use this URL as the cited thread, I'm guessing because it's not on the "for sale/trade" board. So a virtual +1 to Catfish's trade rating, I guess: product delivered quickly, product was packaged as described and performed as described, seller (lender) was responsive to PMs. That's a top-notch trade in my book.

Thanks, Catfish!

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I'm in

GREAT Idea. But I am a new member

*Note:
Participating members must have at least 100 posts and at least 1 positive trader rating. I will allow some veteran members to participate w/o having the positive trader rating requirement. The purpose of these requirements is to prevent these gauges from being stolen or mishandled by any untrustworthy members.

· Registered
808 Posts
By the way, a BIG THANKS goes out to Catfish787 for lending this headspace check kit out!

My Mosin passed the one dot (green) spacer, and the two dot (yellow) and three dot (red) spacers wouldn't allow the bolt to close. Looks like my example had a proper rebuild job done on it by the arsenal! I have never used a headspace check kit before, but the instructions were easy to understand. I had my rifle all checked out in five minutes flat, and put everything into the envelope that Catfish787 included to mail it back to him.

Again, thanks for loaning it out to all of us to check our rifles out for proper spacing!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.