New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere on a 3-gun forum I read that people in NY could have a 10 round shotgun if it was registered. I never heard this before and the SAFE Act website says no but before I give up, is there a way you can do it legally?

My understanding is that 7 in the tube and 1 one the chamber is our limit, not counting oddball short rounds and clueless overseers.

Reason for asking is that I am about to get an extension tube and I'll take all I can get!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Email NY.GOV or the NYSP they have an answer for you.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Oh nuts to that! Hey powers that be I got 8 rounds in my mossberg's tube right now!! And its got a bayonet too!!!! Come get me! Better come correct though.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The law is about how many rounds the gun can take from factory spec and not how many rounds are loaded.
But you know the law is open ended anyway so it might change with the seasons or weather.

·
Registered
118 Posts
7 round mag limit only applies to semi autos. Mag limit for pumps is 10 but guns like the ksg and uts 15 are ny safe act legal since they utilize 2 separate 7 round tubes. Even the mossberg 930 semi auto is legal even though it can be loaded with 9 shells it only has a 7 round mag.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Semi-auto shotguns with a fixed mag capacity in excess of 7 rounds are "assault weapons." This was NOT thrown out by Skretny. He threw out the 'load only 7 in a 10 rnd mag' requirement. Used to be you could register the shottie as an AW and you could maybe go to ten depending on your interpretation of after SAFE modification. Not even sure you can register anymore though.

Huge deal was made about the short shells right after the passage but it fizzled out with no solid consensus as far as I recall.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I thought the 7 in 10 was effectively dead when guidance stated you could use full 10 while hunting, at the range or in your dwelling (read home) and so set themselves up to fail? If short shells was a possibility, how come no one in New York lorks at loading 9mm's in 40 s&w mags or 223/556 in 50 beowulf magazines? Canucks and cursed residents of California do it or are you worried about becoming caselaw?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I thought the 7 in 10 was effectively dead when guidance stated you could use full 10 while hunting, at the range or in your dwelling (read home) and so set themselves up to fail? If short shells was a possibility, how come no one in New York lorks at loading 9mm's in 40 s&w mags or 223/556 in 50 beowulf magazines? Canucks and cursed residents of California do it or are you worried about becoming caselaw?
7 in 10 IS (mostly) dead. It was a completely separate line item, if you will, from the AW definition. A shotgun with a capacity over 7 is STILL an AW.

As far as those other situations... the interwebs have many eyes and none of us here at NYF would ever violate the statutes enacted by our wise and illustrious legislators, Mister 12 Posts.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok, just curious. And for the record living in the uk. I have no mag restrictions. So I don't have to worry. But I do like to ask questions and touche. I like to ask, and you'll get me asking questions and interacting. I'd never encourage anyone to break the law, its counterproductive. Much better to demostrate by other means, win people over one by one and get that crap cleaned off the statue books. And yes touche for me having only 12 posts. Funny thing you mentioned earlier about short shells, in the uk, although there is no limit on a repeating shotguns magazines, ones held on a shotgun ticket as opposed to a firearms one are restricted to 2 and the very issue of shorter shells came up. It actually wen't better than you think before you ask.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.