New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered parts for another build for that Stag lower receiver that I bought from FireFly a few weeks ago:

Decided to go with a matching Stag Upper flat top receiver
VLtor EMOD stock
The rest is Wilson Combat:
Lower receiver parts kit
Ergo pistol grip
5.56 Match grade stainless steel barrel, mid length gas, 1:8
Mil/LE single stage 5 1/2 lb trigger
Mid length free float rail (TRIM)
5.56 BCG NP3 plated
Front/rear iron sights
4 rail Picatinny gas block
Charging handle

Still need to order a Battlecomp compensator 1.0 and Magpul ambi sling adaptor...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
So hard to resist the urge for another build.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Yes Cgrutt is an enabler lol. You know you want to build another Degenret lol, give in lol!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So anybody have any experience with this gas block Picatinny Gas Block | 4 Rail-Wilson Combat

I ordered assuming that the picatinny rail would align with the flat top receiver but it looks to be about 3/16" (visually) lower, so can't use it to mount this front sight Quick Detach Sight Set | Rail Mount | CSAT Aperture-Wilson Combat.

Why would they create a four rail gas block that didn't match their handguard is beyond me. Handguard is mid length (roughly 9"). Do you think this will be good enough to mount sight or should I use a rail height gas block?

Would you mount a four rail gas block that was smaller than your handrail. Seems dumb.

Appreciate any opinions.

Thanks.

·
6,795 Posts
The 4 rail gas block is smaller then the handguard I think so you can remove the handguard without having to take off the gas block.
Here is an example of what you could get Pro-Mag - AR-15 / M16 Flip Up Gas Block Mount Front Sight - Aluminum .
Basically I think you just need to get a special gas block rail sight which is just a special flip up sight that is the right height to be mounted on your block.

·
6,795 Posts
Or you could always mount the front sight you have now on the front of your hand guard rails. If this is a primarily home defense weapon the loss of a few inches in between sights wont change the accuracy enough to really effect its purpose for close quarters purposes.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, good point. As Bill Cosby once said, "Hadn't thought of that" :) Will probably just use the front sight that I ordered on the handguard instead of the gas block. If it doesn't work out, I can always get another front sight and use these on a different gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or you could always mount the front sight you have now on the front of your hand guard rails. If this is a primarily home defense weapon the loss of a few inches in between sights wont change the accuracy enough to really effect its purpose for close quarters purposes.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Did you see the rear sight? I ordered the CSAT aperture instead of standard mil spec. Supposed to work like a hand gun sight at close range (within 7 yards) and give you the ghost ring for further out.

·
6,795 Posts
I just looked it up. Hadnt seen that before but it looks pretty slick. I dont think you will really have an issue though with mounting the front sight on your rail instead of your gas block. Have you gotten a light for it yet or have you not decided if you want to add one yet?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Light and holographic sight are definitely on my wish list for this build. Haven't gotten that far yet though...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Light and holographic sight are definitely on my wish list for this build. Haven't gotten that far yet though...
Hey Chris,

Just thought I would let you know that Windham Weaponry makes a picatinny rail gas block that goes flat with your existing rail. I have a couple in stock. I ordered some for a customer on his build. I have have the NY compliant version without bayo lug.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Looking good. Trying it out this weekend?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts