New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...tion-deepens-mystery-smith-shooting/15852739/

RIP to officer Smith. This is very strange. The guy just snapped. This also shows how lousy handguns are at stopping threats.

"Cioci, who was parked to the north of Clark, ordered Clark to drop the gun, according to police reports. He was unable to shoot back immediately because civilians were in the line of fire.
Once Cioci could take a clear shot, he fired 10 shots at Clark, striking him six times in the torso, leg and face.
Clark fell to the ground. Then he climbed back to his knees, ranting.

When Cioci approached Clark, Johnson City police reports state, he grabbed the officer by the leg and pulled him face-down to the pavement where the two began to wrestle.
Clark climbed onto Cioci's back, reaching around to his front in an attempt to grab the service weapon, police reports state. The officer pushed himself off the ground with one arm while using the other to fire at Clark, striking him a seventh and eighth time, both in the torso.
After he was struck the eighth time, reports state, Clark inserted a finger into the trigger guard of Cioci's weapon, sending a bullet into a nearby church parking lot but rendering the gun inoperable because his hold of the weapon interfered with the recoil action.
A security guard at UHS Wilson Medical Center and another unnamed civilian then rushed to the aid of Cioci, who was yelling for help.
"It took all three people to handcuff Clark, who was still fighting, eyes open and ranting the entire time," a Johnson City police report states.

Notice how the officer didn't shoot right away due to innocents in the line of fire. Also note in an extremely stressful situation he scored a 60% hit ratio on his first 10 shots (some other depts in ny should take note). This is a cop that I'm happy to have in the area. This suspect was shot 8 times in the legs, torso and face and still kept fighting. One would think he was high on something. That was not the case.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Proven time and again that handguns are woefully ineffective. Too bad they didn't have a longgun with them ready to go on seen. Of course if they did and didn't end up using it, it would draw all sorts of criticism.

This also shuts the whole "unarmed" person not being a threat to anyone down for good. (cough michael brown cough)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks for the update on that ECU. I was wondering if Clark was jacked up on something or just his mental state of mind. I see no reason LEOs shouldn't have a 12g loaded up with buckshot in the front of their cars. Actually thought it was common practice, but then again, I've never ridden in one.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thanks for the update on that ECU. I was wondering if Clark was jacked up on something or just his mental state of mind. I see no reason LEOs shouldn't have a 12g loaded up with buckshot in the front of their cars. Actually thought it was common practice, but then again, I've never ridden in one.
I can't remember the last one I was in that didn't. Very helpful if you know it's a gun day before you get out of the car. Not too much if you're out of the car and the world turns to s***.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Also, I'm glad the knowledgable law makers of this state limited us to 7 rounds when incidents like this are becoming more and more commonplace. 10+ rounds and the guy's still fighting.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't remember the last one I was in that didn't. Very helpful if you know it's a gun day before you get out of the car. Not too much if you're out of the car and the world turns to s***.
Officer Smith would have had no reason to walk out with the shotgun. Sadly I don't think he even made it out of the car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
IIRC, toxicolgy reports came back negative.

RIP Officer Smith and props to Officer Cioci and the civilians who assisted him.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Officer Smith would have had no reason to walk out with the shotgun. Sadly I don't think he even made it out of the car.
He initially mistook the shooter as a non-threat, exercised poor situational awareness, and that bad decision cost him his life.

Awful situation for everyone involved, but sadly it's one that could have been prevented.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
8 hits, including a head shot, and this guy was still fighting... shows why police officers just don't shoot someone in the leg and call an ambulance.

Sounds like he had some sort of undiagnosed mental illness / psychosis that finally manifested itself that morning.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
If Ofc. Smith had shot and killed the unarmed man before the guy grabbed his gun one wonders what the narrative would have been.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I keep telling myself its time to apply. I work alone at a store in JC and have to close. Sometimes pepper spray just isn't enough.

I believe there is a benefit for his family coming up. We were advertising it at one point.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
If Ofc. Smith had shot and killed the unarmed man before the guy grabbed his gun one wonders what the narrative would have been.
White cop, white unarmed guy? No narrative... just a 30 seconds blurb on the 6:00 news...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Yeah, I've only ever been in the back of one.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...tion-deepens-mystery-smith-shooting/15852739/

RIP to officer Smith. This is very strange. The guy just snapped. This also shows how lousy handguns are at stopping threats.

"Cioci, who was parked to the north of Clark, ordered Clark to drop the gun, according to police reports. He was unable to shoot back immediately because civilians were in the line of fire.
Once Cioci could take a clear shot, he fired 10 shots at Clark, striking him six times in the torso, leg and face.
Clark fell to the ground. Then he climbed back to his knees, ranting.

When Cioci approached Clark, Johnson City police reports state, he grabbed the officer by the leg and pulled him face-down to the pavement where the two began to wrestle.
Clark climbed onto Cioci's back, reaching around to his front in an attempt to grab the service weapon, police reports state. The officer pushed himself off the ground with one arm while using the other to fire at Clark, striking him a seventh and eighth time, both in the torso.
After he was struck the eighth time, reports state, Clark inserted a finger into the trigger guard of Cioci's weapon, sending a bullet into a nearby church parking lot but rendering the gun inoperable because his hold of the weapon interfered with the recoil action.
A security guard at UHS Wilson Medical Center and another unnamed civilian then rushed to the aid of Cioci, who was yelling for help.
"It took all three people to handcuff Clark, who was still fighting, eyes open and ranting the entire time," a Johnson City police report states.

Notice how the officer didn't shoot right away due to innocents in the line of fire. Also note in an extremely stressful situation he scored a 60% hit ratio on his first 10 shots (some other depts in ny should take note). This is a cop that I'm happy to have in the area. This suspect was shot 8 times in the legs, torso and face and still kept fighting. One would think he was high on something. That was not the case.
Now imagine a slightly different situation... non-leo's, 2 bad guys. Who here wishes for an AR-15 with a 30 round mag or a Glock 19 with a 19 round mag?

FUAC!!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
An absolutely bizarre story. I suspect the assailant was suffering from some sort of mental illness based on the comments from his mother. The pot he smoked and the fender bender earlier he apparently had earlier in the day must have triggered some response that made him snap. Still, it's hard to believe bad weather and a minor accident can turn someone into a raving lunatic.

Cops are in a no win situation. Every time I read about police over-reaction (i.e. 3 cops to handle one girl, I am sure there are plenty of other examples) I think about stories like this one or the recent death of the Rochester officer. These poor guys face death all the time and their day can go from routine to life threatening in mere seconds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts