New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does no family references include brother-in-law's and mother-in law's boyfriend? I'm hard up for references because I am a bit of a homebody since my buddy moved out of state and I have been working night shift in another County for a long time. After recently quitting my job, I noticed some decent employment opportunities for pistol permit holders. I am a former Marine and don't have any marks on my record. Anybody used in-law's for references?

Thanks.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
You'd have to call the clerk's office for your county and ask. Here you can even use direct family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in-laws sound like family to me

You trying to skirt the rules will only send up red flags
That's why I asked on the forum first. I figured that might be the case but my wife asked me if I was sure I couldn't use them since they aren't blood. I should just move to Florida.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Your best bet is to just call the clerks office and ask takes two seconds and you'll have a definite answer!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm not sure about Monroe County, but while you're contacting the clerk's office, why not ask them if you can use references from the County you work in? These are people you are associating with on a daily basis, surely they would be decent character references?
I had a similar issue when I went for my permit in Orleans County. I recently moved their, so, other than my neighbors, the only people I knew were family (uncle, aunt, etc.). I talked to the nice lady at the clerk's office and she said it was ok to provide references from Monroe County, where I work, she just asked that I provide more than the minimum number of references overall.

Asking the clerk is your best option. It never hurts to ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts