New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Question: I applied for a pistol permit in Monroe and was wondering if anyone else has recently done the same. I know that the paperwork says 6-8 months to file, but I was told by a coworker that a few of his friends had applied and had the permit back in 3-4 months. Just wondering if there was any evidence to back that up, or if I should just try to forget about it for the next 6 months. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine took exactly 6 months in 2011; my understanding is that 6 months is right around what they are taking now. But if something has very recently changed, it could be faster I suppose.

Either way its probably best to try and forget about it :) I bought a .22 rifle to get me through.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I'm expecting the process to take the 6 months. It would be nice if it came back faster though. Have a good day

·
Registered
51 Posts
It really depends on if you live in the City of Rochester or the surrounding county. As I am in the City, it took roughly 13 months (2010-2011) from the time I handed the paperwork in until I received the permit in the mail. During the same time, I had a friend that lived in Webster who applied and received his permit in 4 months.

The wait sucks, but it's worth it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My son applied (Monroe County) in early January and is still waiting. He is not a city resident.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm shocked at the length of time to get a permit. In Hawaii there is only a 14 day wait . This is the amount of time it takes to do a fingerprint check
with the FBI. There is really no reason for the delay in this techno age.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've heard the same things people getting them back at different times etc.. I had gotten mine just shy of 6 months. I knew of someone who had gotten theres back on 4. I did hear that 6 1/2 months is the average on MC.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry "in" 4 and "in" MC

·
Registered
11 Posts
I applied in sept 2011....and still haven't heard anything, nor have my refs. Who knows, it's like the appliacations have a mind and speed of their own. From the sounds of things, you should just submitt the apps and just forget about it, but its hard and It sucks, but what else can you do? I even called the office and didn't get a reponse...oh well I guess.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
From what I heard a little while ago, the county has 4 or 5 people doing the permit checks. The city has one or two.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anyone know the approximate wait time for the Utah permits? I'm gonna do it either way but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
60 days or so

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree i live in the city and iv'e ben waiting 9 months now. A friend of mine lives in brighten and it took 3 months, another friend lives in henrietta it took 4 months so yea, its sucks to live in the city.. ALSO i have a female friend who got hers in three through Monroe County because she works in the city, but she lives out in the country. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend and I submitted applications back in September 2011, the week before Thanksgiving. My references were called in early February and his a week later. We both live in Greece and we have yet to hear anything. My aunt, who lives out in Brockport, submitted her application in January this year and recieved her permit in April! From what I gather, there is no ryhme or reason to the length of time it takes. I called the clerks office last week and this week and they never answer the phone, I left a message and have heard nothing back. Your best bet, sadly, is to just forget about it.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I got my permit a year and a half ago. My friend and I picked our application up at the same time, and he submitted his a full month before I turned mine in. I went out of town on business for a couple weeks. I ended up getting my permit almost a full month before he did. His wait was around 8 months, and mine was about 6. We both live in the suburbs.

Everything really depends on who gets your application. Some people push them through, and some take a bit of time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts