New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering some opinions from fellow residents. i applied for my permit Jan 3, i was called and my references on Mar 23rd. Now i called the clerk and they told me that its still in processing 2 1/2 months later. Is the state required to contact me in writing within 6 months of submitting? Is there anyone i can contact, or course of action to take or should i just wait it out. The clerk lady said i easily have at least 2 months left to wait.....I feel like that is excessive.Any thoughts or help, or what have you guys done

·
Registered
687 Posts
could be in Albany on the Mental Health check. Mine actually took 4-1/2 months I got my permit about a Month after the references were called. I am not a city resident. It does say up to 9 months ont eh information but if you don[t have any issues I would bet it would be soon. Are you sure all your references were called or called back the officer?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
could be in Albany on the Mental Health check. Mine actually took 4-1/2 months I got my permit about a Month after the references were called. I am not a city resident. It does say up to 9 months ont eh information but if you don[t have any issues I would bet it would be soon. Are you sure all your references were called or called back the officer?
They don't call you or your references until the checks in albany are done.

Just sit back and wait, not worth getting worked up over. I know it's tough to do but you can't make it go any faster.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Huh. I was told , depending on the work load they could cycle it either way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was 9 months to the day.... Some are turned around faster than others, wait til it lands on a judges desk for another few months. You can search the county site to see how approvals are progressing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was 9 months to the day.... Some are turned around faster than others, wait til it lands on a judges desk for another few months. You can search the county site to see how approvals are progressing.
Do you have a link for that? I looked on the monroe county site but can only find the basic info on applying. I applied first week of January got my call from sheriff in the end of march who told me I should be all set. I asked what the time frame was till I would have it and was told a month-month and a half at most....I'm approaching month 3. I called the clerk and was told all they can tell me is that it was at the judge. I feel like a little kid waiting for permission to go play outside lol.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Is the state required to contact me in writing within 6 months of submitting?
You're supposed to be informed within 6 months by the issuing authority. Since that is the judge, the time starts when it gets to his desk. Unfortunately, it can take a while to get to him/her.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have a link for that? I looked on the monroe county site but can only find the basic info on applying. I applied first week of January got my call from sheriff in the end of march who told me I should be all set. I asked what the time frame was till I would have it and was told a month-month and a half at most....I'm approaching month 3. I called the clerk and was told all they can tell me is that it was at the judge. I feel like a little kid waiting for permission to go play outside lol.
. I came across it while waiting for my permit and looked for trends with others that had applied before and after I applied. The site is https://govapps1.propertyinfo.com/wam3/loginForm.asp?iWAMid=30&a=true , go there and setup a account. I search by Date/ Document type. Select "Suburban Pistol Permit Application" and the date range needed. I would look at the month you applied and the months before and after. Once a record appears here that means it's approved and at the final steps, on average there an average of 80-100 approvals per month. Ultimately it all comes down to the judge's desk it lands on. Some move them through a few a day and some sit on them forever. Basically just play with it and see what you take away. Hope it helps

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update** as of today the clerk said that my paperwork hit the judges desk the last week of july....she said that its probably going to be a couple more months. Is that what i should expect..i have heard that it should be sooner than that..i hope. But at this point i wouldnt be surprised if i dont get it until october/november. What do you guys think

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like they are about done with the ones from Jan and Feb, over 80 approved per month. March only has a few processed. Yours is just on the desk of a slow judge..... Nothing you can do but keep checking the mail.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine was submitted on March 19th. I hope that they are working on March now. That would be great. 6 days into month 5 and no movement yet.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My kid applied in Jan & got his a couple of weeks ago. Monroe County, not city.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that should put me soon. The judge has now had my permit on his/her desk for 1 month now. Needless to say im hawkeyeing the mailbox. I have a m&p 40c waiting for me at the gun shop paid for so when it gets here im in business :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im in monroe county and I applied march 12th and was contacted by the sheriff last week. He gave me his number and asked me if I remembered who all of my references were and said to have my father call him. That was it and he never contacted any of my references. Do I give my references his number and have them call him? He didnt really clarify that. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me the officer called me and did my interview and reviewd my record (which was nothing). Then asked me for my fiances number so he can talk to her. This was all around 4pm by 4 the next day her and all my references were called by the officer. So im not sure, i would have your father ask when he calls if thats what he expects. Everyone i know had it happen the same way it did to me

·
Registered
22 Posts
My father talked to him right after he called me. Ill have to call him back. He did say he was looking into a sealed criminal mischief charge on my record at age 13! Maybe that is holding things up. I was questioned about if I seen anybody break a chair at a skatepark and somehow I was charged. Have no idea how, I was never told I was charged, never went to court or anything. But now I have a new dilemma of trying to get it removed.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ugh, I had worse than that and still got a permit. You did list it on your application, right? Why do you have to get it removed?

My father talked to him right after he called me. Ill have to call him back. He did say he was looking into a sealed criminal mischief charge on my record at age 13! Maybe that is holding things up. I was questioned about if I seen anybody break a chair at a skatepark and somehow I was charged. Have no idea how, I was never told I was charged, never went to court or anything. But now I have a new dilemma of trying to get it removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nope, I did not list it because I didn't know I was ever charged with anything, even my parents didnt (being 13 at the time). I was only asked a couple questions outside at the park about if I knew what happened. Then I just find out last week that I was apparently charged with something. Id like to see what I can do to figure out why its there and how I can fix it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So how long has it been since then? Doubt you need to "fix" it. You will need to explain it!

Nope, I did not list it because I didn't know I was ever charged with anything, even my parents didnt (being 13 at the time). I was only asked a couple questions outside at the park about if I knew what happened. Then I just find out last week that I was apparently charged with something. Id like to see what I can do to figure out why its there and how I can fix it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts