New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'll be turning 21 soon and applying for my PA permit right when I turn 21. Then shortly after receiving it, I will be applying for my NY pistol permit.
I was wondering, what are the wait times are currently like in Monroe County? I am near RIT if the location matters.
Are there any things that I can do to speed the process along, or at least keep it from dragging out for too long? And what is the law that I have seen mentioned about needing to hear back within 6 months after you apply?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in this area im literally a 5 minute ride to RIT. And i just received my permit this past saturday. It took mines a year and week to get. I know a couple of people that got theres around the 9 month mark. So you'll be looking at that time frame.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Hi guys I'll be turning 21 soon and applying for my PA permit right when I turn 21. Then shortly after receiving it, I will be applying for my NY pistol permit.
Hate to burst your bubble friend but you got that backwards: PA requires that you have a valid permit in your home state as a condition of receiving a non-resident PA permit. Directly from the Erie, PA application:Non-Residents are required to have a drivers license from where they reside and a Valid Carrying Permit from their perspective State.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in this area im literally a 5 minute ride to RIT. And i just received my permit this past saturday. It took mines a year and week to get. I know a couple of people that got theres around the 9 month mark. So you'll be looking at that time frame.
Could be worse I guess lol. Thanks for the reply!

Hate to burst your bubble friend but you got that backwards: PA requires that you have a valid permit in your home state as a condition of receiving a non-resident PA permit. Directly from the Erie, PA application:Non-Residents are required to have a drivers license from where they reside and a Valid Carrying Permit from their perspective State.
I'm originally from PA and have a PA driver's License. I also have a house in NY for college.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I suspected there may be more to the story than you originally posted......should be a slam dunk for you (other than the 1+ year waiting times in Monroe county). Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering, what are the wait times are currently like in Monroe County? I am near RIT if the location matters.
Are there any things that I can do to speed the process along, or at least keep it from dragging out for too long? And what is the law that I have seen mentioned about needing to hear back within 6 months after you apply?
First, you have to be a resident of Monroe County for at least 6 months PRIOR to your application date. If you hold a residence in PA, and are only here for college, I can't see your application being approved.
On another note, Monroe County is processing applications like hot cakes. If the applicant has a clean record, looking at 7-12 week wait time (outside city limits).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspected there may be more to the story than you originally posted......should be a slam dunk for you (other than the 1+ year waiting times in Monroe county). Good luck!
Thanks!

First, you have to be a resident of Monroe County for at least 6 months PRIOR to your application date. If you hold a residence in PA, and are only here for college, I can't see your application being approved.
On another note, Monroe County is processing applications like hot cakes. If the applicant has a clean record, looking at 7-12 week wait time (outside city limits).
I have been in Monroe County for 2.5 years now, with 2 years having a house, so the 6 months isn't a problem.
As far as being a college student, I thought that was enough? Maybe not? I also work in New York in addition to school if that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 things that I have found that could be helpful for me getting the permit are below:

ATF Ruling 80-21 stating:
"that during the time the students actually reside in a college dormitory or at an off-campus location they are considered residents of the State where the dormitory or off-campus home is located. During the time out of-State college students actually reside in their home State they are considered residents of their home State."
Court case Osterweil v Bartlett stating:
(Also, Osterweil v Bartlett Decision)
Is an applicant who owns a part-time residence in New York but makes his permanent domicile elsewhere eligible for a New York handgun license in the city or county where his part-time residence is located?

Osterweil v. Bartlett, 706 F.3d 139, 145 (2d Cir.2013).

On October 15, 2013, the New York Court of Appeals answered the certified question in the affirmative. In Osterweil v. Bartlett, --- NY3d ----, 2013 N.Y. Slip Op 6637 (Oct. 15, 2013), the Court held that "Penal Law § 400.00(3)(a) does not preclude an individual who owns a part-time residence in New York but makes his permanent domicile in another state from applying for a New York handgun license." Id. at *5. The Court found this conclusion clear from the plain statutory language, which refers only to an applicant's residence and which expressly contemplates issuance of a handgun to a nondomiciliary.
Does anyone have any experience with either of those things I linked or know if they will not work for me?
Thanks for all the replies so far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts