New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son-in-law wants to get his carry permit but really can't afford it. He got back from Afganistan a year ago and is still in the reserves. His military pay seems to always get held up for some reason so they are always behind. In these days of NYS it's important to me (and him) that he gets it. I was thinking of paying for it but have no idea what the costs or procedures are. I got mine in Monroe County in 1981 so I'm sure it's changed.
What fees are there?
Does he need to buy a pistol 1st?
When he gets it ( I know-don't plan on that for 12-14 months) does he have to buy a pistol right away?
Anything else?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
$126.50 in fees.

Photos can be done right at the County Clerk for an additional fee of $16.00

No prior purchase required.

No immediate purchase required.
4 non-family references that live in Monroe County and have known him for at least 3 years

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The fees are just under $150. He DOES NOT have to buy a pistol first in Monroe, nor is he required to buy one once he gets his permit. He'll need to go to the clerks office to get the necessary paperwork to fill out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You can pick up the application and instructions on his behalf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paperwork was fairly simple, make sure to fill out both copies of the application and the correct release forms. I had my references sign both copies of the app and fill out their contact info on the questionnaire. It looks worse than it is, you answer each question about 4 times it seems like. When you go down, you can get two copies at once, grab a second copy for a back-up. It's better to have it an not need it than need it and not have it, plus if he doesn't use it, you can always give it to someone else.

·
Registered
825 Posts
When you guys say "both copies" what are you referring too exactly? A few weeks ago I walked into the county clerks office and there was only one packet of information, I asked for two just in case and have another one printed out for mistakes and errors to fill out first. What second copy is everyone talking about? Or is the second part inside the packet? Just a little confused myself because I only got one part per packet or per application.

Edit: Only thing I can think of is the two different pages that your references need to sign, Is this it?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When you guys say "both copies" what are you referring too exactly? A few weeks ago I walked into the county clerks office and there was only one packet of information, I asked for two just in case and have another one printed out for mistakes and errors to fill out first. What second copy is everyone talking about? Or is the second part inside the packet? Just a little confused myself because I only got one part per packet or per application.

Edit: Only thing I can think of is the two different pages that your references need to sign, Is this it?
Correct Uzi.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

In the Monroe county packet there are two copies of the application form, both must be filled out. References just sign and print their name. There's also a questionnaire form where your references list contact info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been contemplating filling out the application for a permit, but I have a few concerns.

I have seen several psychiatrists and doctors for antidepressants and anti anxiety medications, along with substance abuse treatment. I'm concerned I won't recall exactly every detail they may request information on. I'm also concerned that they will automatically shoot me down because of my past. I'm no longer on any medications and I'm in recovery.

Can anyone she'd some light or share experience on a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.