New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be handing in my pistol permit tomorrow. Have to have my fourth and last refrence sign the permit application today then off to the county clerks office tomorrow! Then the wait begins......

Couple of questions:
I realize that some of these questions have already been answered in other threads but they were a couple of months old and not sure if that information is as up to date as it can be

How long is the wait period for Monroe County? (I am a non-city resident)
What are the odds of me getting the unrestricted permit I am applying for? (No past problems with the law and no psychiatrict issues that could possible put a damper on my application and all of my refrences do like me haha)
What kinds of questions does the investigating MCSO deputy ask you and your refrences?
Does MCSO always ask for more refrences than what is required on the application packet?

I put on my application reason for CCW permit is self defense of property and self along with target shooting/hunting

Thanks a bunch in advance!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I would say wait time could be as short as 4 months to as long as 9 months.

Assuming your approved for your permit then you have 99% chance of getting unrestricted.

They ask general questions like if you took the free course they Sheriffs office offers, you have have any other firearms already, how do you handle stress and I think they ask others if you have a drinking problem are you a good person and do they think you should have a permit.

Also they will probably ask to talk to your wife or girlfriend or roommate and what not and thats it.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think 4 to 9 months is a accurate timeframe, I was 9 a few years ago. I never recieved a call from the investigator, however he did call all 4 references and the wife. He asked them questions about what I do when i'm angry and if I drink or use drugs.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I believe 6 months is the upper limit now. Mine took exactly 6 months (almost to the day) last year, and I have heard that there was some legal action against the state about taking too long. I would expect new applications to be turned around within 6 months.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Unrestricted: Yes.

Safety course: You should. Do the Sheriff's class and mine if you really want a full understanding and a wider range of knowledge about carry and the laws. Not to mention a ton of other added info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, I plan on signing up for the sheriff's class within a week and your class has been very high reccomended so therefor you will be seeing me in the near future!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dave, I plan on signing up for the sheriff's class within a week and your class has been very high reccomended so therefor you will be seeing me in the near future!
Bryan We (my wife and I) took Dave's Pre-licensing course and enjoyed it and learned alot about the laws ect. We also included copies of the cert in the packet. I'm not sure if you can submit one after the packet is in though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been waiting for a year now. Called today and the guy said he's in july's apps and that I should call back in a couple of months. He also said he is the only person doing apps at the moment and he's backed up. Hopefully I will here back very soon since I submitted my app last year early august. Hopefully your's won't take as long as mine is!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a little after two months the investigator is calling me and my references! But too bad none of us answered because his number comes up as restricted and stated that his number will always be restricted and to advise my references as such. Also the investigator does not give a call back number but my thing is that two of my four references work 830-430 jobs! Not sure of what the investigators hours are but i hop he can get a hold of them!

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
If they have a real tough time contacting a couple references they may just skip them. The investigator tried to get a hold of my wife and left her a message (with number). She called him back the next day, and left him a voice mail. He never called her back. I received my permit with no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya on the voicemail he stated that if he cant get a hold of them, then he stated that he cant do anything with my permit unless he gets a hold of them. Im just hoping that he calls either today or tomorrow so i can get my portion out of the way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MCSO finally got a hold of me and two of my references! He stated that they are now starting to streamline the process to make things go quicker. He said he is going to try to get a hold of one more reference and if he can't then it is no big deal as he said that there has been no problem with my two references, the checks, and my interview. The waiting game continues but in the home stretch!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got my Monroe County CCP in March of 2007 after applying in December of 2006...I was surprised the process was as quick as it was when I finally went through it. Was one of those guys who went and picked up the application 4 times before finally dedicating a vacation day to getting everything done (pics, fingerprints, references, application) done and submitted.

If the phone calls are going out now, you should be pretty darn close to receiving it...weeks rather than months at this point would be my expectation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i sure hope its weeks rather than months! He did reach the last 2 of my references since my last post a couple hours ago so now it should be going to the judge within the coming days.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Got my Monroe County CCP in March of 2007 after applying in December of 2006...I was surprised the process was as quick as it was when I finally went through it. Was one of those guys who went and picked up the application 4 times before finally dedicating a vacation day to getting everything done (pics, fingerprints, references, application) done and submitted.

If the phone calls are going out now, you should be pretty darn close to receiving it...weeks rather than months at this point would be my expectation.
I disagree based on my experiences. The calls happen quickly, the judge approving it is the long part. I was told by a relative in the Sheriff's office that the judges approve permits a few times a year. If yours comes in the day before they approve them, it gets out quickly, and if yours comes in the day after they approve them, you might have an additional few months. I don't know if this is true, or if it has changed, but my feeling is that the phone calls are the easy part and the waiting for the judge is the longer process.

It is also possible things have changed since 2007, and/or since I got my permit a year ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I submitted my app jan 4th...all ref called i march...as of today my application has been with the judge sincete july according to the clerk... im not sure whos is correct but i would say that you still have quite awhile

1 - 20 of 41 Posts