New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd create a thread on this to see if anyone else has received this letter. Came from Monroe County County Clerk's office, and says (paraphrased) that I need to go down to the office to sign the front of my permit application. Previously only the back was signed but the New York State Police "rejected" the application until the front is signed.

It then goes on to say that my permit is still valid, but all amendments are rejected until I sign the front. To me that sounds like my guns are now illegal, but who knows. The letter is ambiguous. It says I must sign by June 2nd, which is a Saturday, so to me that means by tomorrow June 1st.

Anyone else receive this letter? For clarification, my permit was approved in September of last year, so it may be on recent permits?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
ummmm, there is no place to sign on the front. It was already approved last year so I dont get it? Now I need to check to see if I got a letter. Mine is Monroe County as well and is only signed on the back.

What application was rejected? I am confused lol. I can tell you that there is something else wrong with our permits that goes against the law thats not our fault lol but now I have to look into this signature thing. Let me know what you find out.

·
6,795 Posts
This is the only thing that I found that applies in this situation. This is from article 400.00 of the penal law.

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall, except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the superintendent of state police.

So this seems more of a county issue to me. In order for us to have received our license to carry
our permit form had to of been already approved. Meaning the signing on the back was approved. The only
other thing I found was that NYSP can make rules governing the manufacture of firearms by dealers and what
not but that doesnt apply here.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was approved by the county, and then sent to the NYSP. The NYSP sent it BACK to the county to be signed. That is what I got from the letter. I'll take a picture of the letter and post it later so you can read the exact wording. It's all very weird.

The worst part, is if I'm driving downtown, finding parking, stowing my CCW, and waiting in line, I have to at least add a pistol to my permit to make it worthwhile...right?

·
6,795 Posts
Yes I would be very interested in reading the letter. I got my permit last year as well. or the year before that and mine is signed on the back. The only signature on the front is the judge. I think its been discussed already but I am pretty sure you can CC into the clerks office.

I think you need to buy another pistol to make it worth your while and ask them to waive the $3 fee for the inconvenience they caused you. Afterall you gas to get to and from there is more then worth $3.

Are you sure that you filled out the original permit application correctly? Maybe thats what they say you didnt sign the front of? I dont understand how a permit can be valid but the amendments are not?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went downtown and signed it. It is the application, not the permit itself. My signature and address were needed on two identical pages, just below where there were spaces for fingerprints (but the fingerprints were done digitally and so this space was empty). I asked and was told that the Sheriffs who took my prints goofed up and I was supposed to sign it when I did my prints.

So this was a one-off problem, not something that affects everyone. I did not end up buying a gun to make the trip worthwhile, lol. And I'm almost certain you can't carry at the county clerk's office! I think that is right on the paperwork you get with the permit.

·
6,795 Posts
I am curious as to why it took this long for someone to notice and why just now the NYSP were getting to your application now after all this time?

I know there is a thread somewhere about carrying into the county building. I only remember it because I thought it was crazy myself. Apparently it has to do with the wording on the sign as you walk into the building.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
So this was a one-off problem, not something that affects everyone. I did not end up buying a gun to make the trip worthwhile, lol. And I'm almost certain you can't carry at the county clerk's office! I think that is right on the paperwork you get with the permit.
I just want you to know that I'm disappointed in you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Someone was doing some housekeeping. Additionally I agree, carring at the clerks office is frowned upon. Glad to hear your legal again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts