New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In today's Democrat & Chronicle there is a story on the front page of the Local News section about the issue of concealed carry in the county parks.

Read the story and you will see why we need a HUGE turnout of gun owners at the June 12 County Legislature meeting.

Plain and simple the Monroe County Republican Party is a party of cowards and they do not support your rights. They have a significant majority on the legislature yet they say they don't have the support to change a bad law!

We have been loyal and supportive of the Republican Party in Monroe County for many years.

IT'S TIME WE MAKE THEM BE LOYAL TO US.

JUNE 12 6PM FOURTH FLOOR MONROE COUNTY OFFICE BUILDING

BE THERE!

Ken Mathison
Monroe County SCOPE

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I am not in town at the moment so I cant come but I also urge everyone to go. When I was even just getting my pistol permit (I am leaving names out) I contacted a member of the county legislature (Republican) to look into into the time limit of pistol permits. The person did not reply at all but 2 months later they left and were replaced and after I received my permit I got a response back from their replacement who said they spoke to the clerks office about my question and were told by them the time didnt start until the Judge got the permit. I didnt push the issue since I had already received my permit but my point is they only replied back when it was no longer an issue and I dont think it was a coincidence.

·
6,795 Posts
This is what is wrong with this country, NYS and Monroe county. How can people even think this way? This just goes to further show our constitution means nothing.

Daniele denied that the congressional contest has influenced the debate.He said the constitutional argument for a repeal was a fair point, but that the interests of all county residents had to be weighed.
“From a Second Amendment standpoint, it makes sense,” he said. “But from a safety issue, do my constituents really want guns in parks?”

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
They figured nobody is going to ever get assaulted or raped in a park, right? People go there to smell the flowers only.
What a bunch of jelly bellies. This is nuts.

·
6,795 Posts
No matter how you look at it the law should be repealed. For example in Webster 10 or so years ago the woman was killed in the park in baytown area where baseball fields are by a homeless man in the woods.

We know no one has ever been charged with this law but what I would like to know is how many rapes, assaults, murders, robberies and ect have been committed in our parks? Lets say I am in a park and carrying concealed even though its against the law. Lets say (unlikely I admit) I come across a woman being raped and beaten. I am sure her parents would like me to get involved and I am sure that woman would want me to get involved. I would be justified in using force but since I am carrying in a park that is illegal I cant use my firearm (attacker probably has some sort of weapon) so the only thing I can do is call 911 and hope they can get there in time. But wait...... if I call 911 then I am a witness. I will need to talk to police when they get there and its possible my firearm is found on my person all because I called 911 to help this woman because I didnt want to get arrested for having a firearm in a park to begin with and now I am. So someone who is carrying a park "illegally" would potentially just walk away from a situation like the one above.

If outlawing pistols in parks is just about safety then lets make a real difference. Lets ban bikes, dogs, horses, and hell if its not a law already lets make a law making it illegal to commit crimes in the park so that criminals will think twice about committing crimes there.

Maybe scope should push for the Monroe County Legislature to atleast submit a request to the NYS AG office for an opinion on the constitutionality of the park law. This way the NYS AG office will say its unconstitutional in which case its a win or (probably more likely) they will say why they believe the law is constitutional giving scope more information to fight this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sorta burns my buscuit. In the PRINT edition subcaption says " County not ready to allow HIDDEN weapons........

CMON.......its Concealed Carry....HIDDEN denotes your doing something WRONG......Jeez..........

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sorta burns my buscuit. In the PRINT edition subcaption says " County not ready to allow HIDDEN weapons........

CMON.......its Concealed Carry....HIDDEN denotes your doing something WRONG......Jeez..........
The paper does have "democrat" in the name :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Republican Monroe County legislators are in lock-step with Maggie without exception. Why? Money. She has a lot of it - and when the legislature races are on - she's opening her checkbook to help fund them. Cross Maggie and no $$ for you. They push Maggie's agenda and so long as she has control of county politics, nothing will ever change.

I'd hate to see Maggie win a congressional race - she doesn't deserve it, but as a freshman, she be a small fish in a big pond and more or less stripped of any real power or influence... and perhaps Monroe County will put someone in the county exec seat who has some integrity. On the other hand, wait til September/October when the campaigning really starts and the skeletons from her drug and alcohol infused past start pouring out of her closet... and her odds of winning in November will be diminished.

I'm just glad I'm no longer living there and employed by a public sector employer that she effectively controlled (although she had no statutory authority to do so... but politics being politics...).

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
is this still on for tonight? I thought i heard somewhere here (and now I can't find it) that this was off the agenda for tonight because it's an election year and they don't want to put something out there that they are sure is going to fail, such as this. (just how i remember reading it anyway)

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
oh, think I found it, it's in the actual d&c article that I read and is linked above. now i'm even more confused. haha

seems like forum members still need to get out to the meeting tonight in full force and show support for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.