New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LGS today ( I had a DRs appt so when you have time waste it were you like ) I was looking over a model 60 with the wooden grips and a " slab side " barrel . I was wondering if any body here either had one or had shot one because I'm looking into maybe aquireing one very soon . It only holds 5 but it's a 357 mag so that helps out . It's either thr M 60 or another SP101 , just because I can ! Thanks for your help on this matter .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My 1st purchase as a concealed carry..many moons ago in 1997, although mine is black polymer grips not wood and not slab barrel, mine is snubby special. All I've done was added a CrimsonTrace to it and it's still awesome with no issues. I have used small of back, ankle and iwb..just the right size before they start getting alittle to heavy.. And i keep 2 speed holders to have 10 more ready. 1 happy owner here if that helps you decide.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 1st purchase as a concealed carry..many moons ago in 1997, although mine is black polymer grips not wood and not slab barrel, mine is snubby special. All I've done was added a CrimsonTrace to it and it's still awesome with no issues. I have used small of back, ankle and iwb..just the right size before they start getting alittle to heavy.. And i keep 2 speed holders to have 10 more ready. 1 happy owner here if that helps you decide.
This one im looking at is something in between a custom and stock so it has a lot of upgrades . The slab side barrel , wooden grips , tuned trigger . All of these are supposedly upgrades from the custom shop in a production pistol so I'm thinking really heavy on this . Will let you know if I purchase it . The wife says I gotta get rid of some before I make another purchase so likely to trade some off to end up with this .

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I' ve heard good things about it on the S&W forum.
Thanks Ladder . I'm looking into it but so far just looking . I have to confess that it felt pretty good in my hand so maybe a few more looks and then who knows !

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are lucky in finding that Smith and Wesson Model 60 Pro Series. They are extremely popular. None of the LGS I've been to had either a S&W M60 or the Pro Series. So I have yet to even hold one in my hand. it seems the only way I may be able to get one is by ordering from out of state. Nevertheless, the M60 is a really good concealable revolver and I am seriously interested in trying that M60 Pro Series out. It is an all stainless steel frame DA/SA shooter. From what I've read and from what I've been told the weight helps to manage the 357 recoil. The recoil on of the 38 special and P+ is said to sweet. The majority of those who have M60 or the Pro Series highly recommend it. It seems as though the 3 inch barrel provides a good balance for shooting (check these reviews on the M60
and
).
Another good revolver that you might want to consider is the 357 Ruger SP101 with the 3.06 barrel. It is about three ounces heavier than the M60 and it is also less expensive. According to some, the SP101 would need a trigger job. However, even adding on the cost of a trigger job the SP101 would still cost less than the M60 Pro Series. I have fondled that SP101 and it fits my hand very well - unfortunately I didn't get to shoot it because that gun shop didn't have a range. Both the S&W M60 and the Ruger SP101 revolvers enjoy excellent reputations. I have yet to make up my mind whether I should go with the S&W or the Ruger. It seems the owners of these revolvers share that Ford vs Chevy rivalry. Despite my having other Smith & Wessons, I would tend to believe that neither the S&W nor the Ruger would be a disappointment. Good luck and give us all a posting of your new revolver when you get it.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already own the " wiley clapp " SP101 with the 2.25 barrel and if I don't buy the smith M 60 I will buy anotherSP101 with the 3 inch barrel . I was just wondering if anyone either had one or shot one for their take on it . My SP seems to like the 125 jacketed bullets pretty well compared to my GP 100 . The GP likes 158 , it doesn't matter who the maker is , just the weight . It's reall accurate with that bullet weight so if it ain't broke . Right now the SP101 at Buds is 492 plus free shipping so that maybe where I go . I'm finding that the M60 is real hard to find but it will be coming more available!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts