New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago a cheap .308 followed me home. The Savage Axis. I paid around $270 for the rifle. I wanted to add a .308 to the family to use as a range toy. I have other centerfire rifles (with quality optics that cost much more) but just wanted a .308 for some reason. I decided to make this a totally low budget package to see what kind of accuracy I could get for around $400 (not including ammo)

I added this scope:

Pentax Gameseeker 5x 3 - 15x50 Mm Rifle Scope, Matte Black - 946273, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

The scope was bore sighted the old school way at a cost of zero dollars. I used a pair of $25 dollar rings that I had laying around.That brings the total to $384.

I took it to the range yesterday. My expectations were to get around 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I was using a range bag as a rest and had no bag on the stock. I also drank an extra large dunkin donuts coffee on the way to the range! Caffeine induced shaking hand syndrome! Plus I was not expecting much from a rifle under $300. I have read the internet stories about its accuracy but I am a skeptic if I don't see it for myself. The only thing that was not cheap was the ammo. I had 15 rounds of 168 Gr Federal match at home(friend gave them to me after he sold his .308). Once I got it on paper close to where I wanted it (took me a few more than I thought) I had 6 rounds left. I shot a 3 shot group then adjusted the scope to hit near two inches above bulls eye. I was pleasantly surprised by the results! I'm not sure how to measure groups (outside edges or center?) but I think one group is right under an inch and one might be about an exact inch.

I will be buying a bi-pod for this rifle. It will put the price at just over the $400 mark. I will shoot more groups to see if I can get better results. I am now starting to think about building a not budget friendly rig! Accuracy is more fun to me than rapid fire.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine Automotive exterior Trigger Air gun Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel Light Product Publication Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Group pics:

Tape measure Ruler Office ruler Tool Arthropod Tape measure Ruler Guitar accessory Office ruler Musical instrument Automotive tire Grey Coin Artifact Tints and shades

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
That quarter is my birth year :)

awesome groups, I'm hoping my Sniper Nagant build will do this when its all done.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
If my Sniper Nagant gets close to this then I'll be happy, so far my total build cost has been 99 dollars, lol

G

·
In motor racing the expression is; speed is expensive, how fast can you afford to go.
Likewise, the pursuit of accuracy can be an expensive undertaking.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In motor racing the expression is; speed is expensive, how fast can you afford to go.
Likewise, the pursuit of accuracy can be an expensive undertaking.
This will be the latest of my expensive hobbies...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cheapest add....limbsaver barrell deresonator....freakin' thing is awesome. Years ago I had purchased a Remington 710 (now it's the 770) when they first came out. When I first shot it I was getting groups like yours. I put the barrell deresonator on it...and the groups went from about 1 1/2 to all touching. Man I miss that little gun.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Cheapest add....limbsaver barrell deresonator....freakin' thing is awesome. Years ago I had purchased a Remington 710 (now it's the 770) when they first came out. When I first shot it I was getting groups like yours. I put the barrell deresonator on it...and the groups went from about 1 1/2 to all touching. Man I miss that little gun.
How the heck does that thing work? Can it fit a Nagant rifle?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have my doubts but for that price it's worth a shot! How the heck do you use it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The directions are on the package. But for simplicity, just slide it on the barrell til it's just a little bit above the stock. Trust me...it works awesome.

Edit: just as a side note....it is not an easy slide onto the barrell...pain in the butt. They recommend putting just a touch of dishsoap in side of it before applying but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just grinned and bared it.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will order one and give it a try!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It is supposed to absorb the barrel harmonics to help keep the barrel straighter when shooting. SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

James
Correct!

Harmonics is not a bad thing. What you want for consistence is to hit the right spot and you can achieve that by customizing the loads or changing
the 'tune' of the barrel. That is what that rubber piece does but far from ideal by principal. Anything in the barrel that is prone to change it has the potential to impact consistency. At the same time is not expensive so nothing is lost for trying. It always makes a nice item for the garage sale in the summer.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Correct!

Harmonics is not a bad thing. What you want for consistence is to hit the right spot and you can achieve that by customizing the loads or changing
the 'tune' of the barrel. That is what that rubber piece does but far from ideal by principal. Anything in the barrel that is prone to change it has the potential to impact consistency. At the same time is not expensive so nothing is lost for trying. It always makes a nice item for the garage sale in the summer.
Every garage sale needs weird things to sell. I'm going to order it and will post the groups. I have a feeling they will be about the same. Or with my luck worse. haha

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that the limbsaver barrell deresonator comes with a money back guarentee.
Even better! I'm going to order tonight....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts