New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People weren't joking when they said these things are hard to take apart. Of course, I'm having trouble with the mainspring disassembly. I've watched plenty of videos on how to do it, but mine still won't budge. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm pulling so hard my bones are starting to crack! It's not budging.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I found this in a thread not sure if it will help you problem or not lets hope it will...What you need to do is turn the pistol upside down.

Pull the trigger.

Spray oil/lube on the Take down lever on all surfaces, and into the rear of the bolt and barrel frame (upper receiver).

Push the Spring Stop Plunger all the way back down into the hole at the rear of the bolt housing.

Lock the Take down Lever back in place.

Leave magazine OUT of pistol.

Place pistol in upright position, and cycle the bolt.

Dry fire.

Start the take down procedure again.

Follow the Manual step by step.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Try this link, it's for a 22/45 but the guns are similar. There are other pages on the gun talk site about the Rugers.

2245 Maintenance Page

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Have a pic? I'm not picturing what you're doing. I have a MKII and taking it apart is simple for me. Putting it back together is the tough part.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to resort to pulling while the wife hammered with a punch. Pushed it right out, but yeah, getting it back together was a beast. Taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back together took me a whopping two hours and I'm exhausted.

I hope this thing likes being dirty, because I'm done with that bull****.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried it again, didn't quite take as long (half hour maybe), but I still can't do it by hand. Rubber mallet had to help me out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
the hardest part for me is remembering when you first start is it suppose to be cocked or uncocked > uncocked. remember that after you have put the bolt back in to pull the trigger to get the hammer to go back to the fired position. you kinda have to flick it back in place with a forward inertia motion. then be careful to get the piece connected to the back of the hammer in the strut (?) before you try to close the rear lever. sorry for not having correct parts terms. newer guns are a bit harder till they loosen a bit. MK I's & II's are easy, III's are a pain.

this was my first pistol, probably why it come so easy to me.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like you guys aren't quite getting how locked up this gun is. It's not a matter of me just not pulling hard enough. I could pull at this thing all day long and it will NOT budge an inch. I really don't see any way of getting this thing apart via normal methods, which isn't good, because it's marring up the gun. Is it possible that the gun is defective in this way? I mean, it shoots awesomely, but it doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to get apart.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know that I fought with my MKII for hours the first time I tried to take it apart. After the first time, it gets much easier.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If the gun is new a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet might be your best bet to get the pin out (if that's what you are having trouble with). Make sure to put some lubrication on the pin before reassembling, as that might make it easier next time. With time and repetition, the pin start to come out easier.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
my markIII hunter is such a pain in the ass to dis/reassemble that it makes me not want to shoot/clean it. if i'd known how over-engineered the damn thing was i would've purchased a buckmark instead. nice gun, but come on. following along with the instruction manual is like playing the simon says game from hell, and they're not even specific enough. i had to write my own set of steps in order to make sure it goes back together just right. i've met guys who simply take off the wooden stocks and dunk the thing in solvent to clean it. doesn't sound like such a terrible idea in this case. good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My old Mark 1 is a pain too, took me alot of youtube time to find a good video that shows enough information, for me to be able to do it. I have actually been interested in picking up the speed kit from Midway as mentioned above, maybe the extended mag release too.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
These Ruger Mark 1 - 11 - and 111 need to be striped and reassenbled regularly to wear the tight spots before they free up enough to mdo it by hand, I have two of the Mark 11s both Stainless Steel, one with a 10" bull barrel the other a 6" bull barrel. The one with the 10" bull Barrel I still need a plastic hammer to get the barrel off and to slide it forward enough to slide the pin back up into place on the reassembly. All it take is a slight little tap with the plastic hammer to line the slide up with the lower. In my note book I have all of my information on all of my guns, when I see a good youtube video it goes into my notebook. On these rugers I looked at about fifteen videos before I seen one that I liked and coppied into my notebook. I have videos for my Kahr PM9 and my Colt 1911 - 80 Series Combat Commander listed in my note book as well.
Once the brake in they are a snap to teardown & reassemble.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is a maintenance video on the Ruger website that might help with it. It is a pain the first few times, but it gets better. ( Not easy, but better! )

·
Registered
365 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts