New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Mitchell's Mauser? I was thinking about buying one. I've heard they are not great for historical quality, but I just want one to shoot with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone have a Mitchell's Mauser? I was thinking about buying one. I've heard they are not great for historical quality, but I just want one to shoot with it.
I have one. For the few hundred bucks I paid, it was a good deal. I think they have gone up a little since supply is drying up a bit. Like most military arms, it would cost more to make today then it costs to buy. Nowadays, 300 bucks will get you a plastic stock rifle. Say what you will about the mitchells but its a like new rifle with wood stock made with german machinery and processes. And its a mauser action which is still being copied today.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Ok ... historical quality ... most have zilch!! The Mitchell's are forced numbers matching which means ... they really aren't numbers matching. They also are made to look pretty .... they ain't suppose to look pretty since it's a wartime gun and most examples were used as such ... they are generally overpriced (if you're looking at a pretty one with laminated stock and all) although some can be had reasonably. As for shooting ... well I hear good things about them ... then there are the bad things. I would say if you find one cheap, see if you can take it for a test drive first. I would probably look for one in less than desirable "eye candy" condition and shoot the snot outta it!!! Just my thoughts on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts