New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

What is the minimum OAL an AR can be in NY state? I have an AR that has an adjustable stock that is pinned, but I would like to shorten the stock a little bit. I was told I can set it to its shortest length as long as it is pinned and the OAL is no less than 26".

Is this true? If this is so than what is the point of pinning the stock if it can be set to its shortest length? I thought the pinning was to prevent the AR from becoming too short?

· Registered
528 Posts
Rifle OAL is a federal thing, but NY complies with the Federal definition. But since there is no way to register an SBR in NY, you have to have an OAL of 26" minimum.

Doesn't matter where your stock is a long as your OAL is 26+ inches.

In a state where NFA was allowed, your rifle would be measured with stock open, or in the position the rifle was meant to be fired in. For instance, an otherwise unmodified GSG-5 with folding UMP stock measures less than 26" with stock folded, but isn't an SBR, since the gun is measured in the configuration it was meant to be fired in: with stock open. Even though the rifle can fire with stock closed, it was meant to be fired with the stock open.

The textbook example of this is the Marble Game Getter, which is little more than a revolver with a stock. It is measured by BATFE with the stock in the open position.

The thing is, with 16" OAL barrel, you only need 10 more inches. The lower receiver + carbine stock tube should get you there.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
It has nothing to do with the concealability of the stock/gun, it's that they feel it contributes to the pattern of what an assault weapon looks like.
Correct. You can have 6 stocks pinned in each of the 6 positions and swap them out at will, but you can't have one that adjusts. Welcome to NY.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. You can have 6 stocks pinned in each of the 6 positions and swap them out at will, but you can't have one that adjusts. Welcome to NY.
Being new to the AR world I find this absolutely ridiculous. I always assumed the pinning was to prevent it from being too short. Shame on me for having common sense I guess.

This really makes me look at politicians with even more disgust. It's all a game it seems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.