New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my interview with the local PD for my pistol permit, the officer mentioned he never received my military records. I offered to drop off a copy of my DD-214 after my interview (obviously not as descriptive as full military records), but he said not to worry, about bringing it.

I felt kind of baffled. First off, wouldn't the FBI have reviewed my military records? Afterall they performed the background check for my security clearance (Secret). Second, why mention the absence of military records, if he felt they were not important?

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
The only record that he would or will receive is your DD 214. Almost sounds like he is digging to find out from you if there is anything that you omitted on the application. Nothing else from the Military will be released.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I had my interview with the local PD for my pistol permit, the officer mentioned he never received my military records. I offered to drop off a copy of my DD-214 after my interview (obviously not as descriptive as full military records), but he said not to worry, about bringing it.

I felt kind of baffled. First off, wouldn't the FBI have reviewed my military records? After all they performed the background check for my security clearance (Secret). Second, why mention the absence of military records, if he felt they were not important?
I am still active duty, and for Jefferson County i had to release my military mental health records, recommendation from my Commander. The paper work does not specify that i had to hand in a letter from my commander giving another reference/character reference even though i gave my 4 for the state. The state dictates the law, but leaves it open for each county to add further rules.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just some counties will ask for it. A few friends got theirs and never were asked. I don't recall the counties of two of them but the other two were Dutchess.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
In Colonie, Albany County your DD214 is required.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm just surprised everytime I learn more about how draconian and intrusive NYS has become in regards to pistol ownership. Give a government agency an inch they will take a mile, and your rights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts