New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if my AR-15 need a Mil spec or a Commercial Spec stock? I have a S & W, M & P 15.

·
Registered
913 Posts
is your stock alrdy pinned? if not see if the back of the buffer tube is FLAT or has a SMALL ANGLE. flat means mill, slant is Comm

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was pinned, and I took the stock off. The buffer tube was about 8-9" long and flat on the end.

PS: I re-pinned it before putting it back on. :)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Commercial spec doesn't really exist as a standard denomination. Sometimes special purpose, hunting, target and other civilian parts versions exceed the quality of mil spec and sometimes they don't.
Mil spec is a set of denominations for external, internal dimensions and materials to assure compatibility and quality of construction. An M&P should be up to spec, chamber should be a military 5.56 Nato (but not sure) but might not have the typical M4 barrel profile or twist. So it is "mil-spec" in terms of compatibility and decent quality? of course!... but might not fall into the M4 carbine type of department, or other issue models due to the above. They are excellent carbines that is for sure.
Just to explain how confusing this could be everyone would agree than a simple accuwedge is a nice upgrade to many billets but it is actually not approved for the a marine armorer to be used in the issue carbines so it is not part of the 'mil-spec' denomination although something very desirable for many. Just like this you have dozens of examples in all directions.
Anything worrying you besides sometimes hard to define labels? For the typical carbine use the M&P should be a good system.

...sorry I am rereading the post and you were concern about the stock. Again there is no commercial denomination for stock but the pretty standard T6 is good for most typical use but it must be pinned due to being collapsible.... unless the lower is preban.
Pin it to be on the shorter side so when you add a vest will fit ok. you can always add a rubber pad or put a vest on but cannot remove anything after pinned. Israeli Armed forces Mako is comes is also very simple with a comb raiser if needed but this would be an upgrade over the S&W M&P standard, I think. Many good choices out there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really love the gun so far, and am slowly bringing it into what I want it to be. I'm also looking forward to starting to use it on the tactical shoot at my local gun club. I'm still very new to all things AR, so questions like these come up often. I'm looking at the Magpul MOE Carbine stock, by the way.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I really love the gun so far, and am slowly bringing it into what I want it to be. I'm also looking forward to starting to use it on the tactical shoot at my local gun club. I'm still very new to all things AR, so questions like these come up often. I'm looking at the Magpul MOE Carbine stock, by the way.
Good to hear you like the gun. I have a MOE stock and the MAID grip both from Magpul and i couldn't be happier about both. there are deff a lot of options out there.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Milspec receiver extension OD 1.14", commercial receiver extension OD 1.17"

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Commercial spec doesn't really exist as a standard denomination. Sometimes special purpose, hunting, target and other civilian parts versions exceed the quality of mil spec and sometimes they don't.
Mil spec is a set of denominations for external, internal dimensions and materials to assure compatibility and quality of construction. An M&P should be up to spec, chamber should be a military 5.56 Nato (but not sure) but might not have the typical M4 barrel profile or twist. So it is "mil-spec" in terms of compatibility and decent quality? of course!... but might not fall into the M4 carbine type of department, or other issue models due to the above. They are excellent carbines that is for sure.
Just to explain how confusing this could be everyone would agree than a simple accuwedge is a nice upgrade to many billets but it is actually not approved for the a marine armorer to be used in the issue carbines so it is not part of the 'mil-spec' denomination although something very desirable for many. Just like this you have dozens of examples in all directions.
Anything worrying you besides sometimes hard to define labels? For the typical carbine use the M&P should be a good system.

...sorry I am rereading the post and you were concern about the stock. Again there is no commercial denomination for stock but the pretty standard T6 is good for most typical use but it must be pinned due to being collapsible.... unless the lower is preban.
Pin it to be on the shorter side so when you add a vest will fit ok. you can always add a rubber pad or put a vest on but cannot remove anything after pinned. Israeli Armed forces Mako is comes is also very simple with a comb raiser if needed but this would be an upgrade over the S&W M&P standard, I think. Many good choices out there.
He was asking about the diameter of the receiver extension.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Magpul makes great stuff. Just make sure you look to your sights upgrades or any optics if planned before you decide on the stock in case you need adjustment. Even a half inch might leave your cheek floating and there is nothing worse for proper accuracy. So look at the whole thing as one working unit to be welded to your own specific physical characteristics. If you can try options from other folks before you buy. Put function first and looks too but not looks over function.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
He was asking about the diameter of the receiver extension.
I just realized that after Tifosi replied... going too fast sometimes I missed the point that needed some reflection though. Sorry for the disturbances and the pain and suffering this might have caused. lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another noob attacks issue. So to run a Magpul MOE stock, apparently I will also need to get a new buffer tube. What exactly do I need. The current buffer tube is about 9" long and is nonadjustable. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the same page I have been looking at, but the spec page for this stock says, "Mounts on mil-spec sized carbine receiver extension tube (not included)"

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another noob attacks issue. So to run a Magpul MOE stock, apparently I will also need to get a new buffer tube. What exactly do I need. The current buffer tube is about 9" long and is nonadjustable. Thanks!!!!
YES you need a new buffer tube to match either the Mil or Commercial MOE stock you buy.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
This is the same page I have been looking at, but the spec page for this stock says, "Mounts on mil-spec sized carbine receiver extension tube (not included)"
They make 2 different stocks. Identical other than the size buffer tube they fit on. The spec page for the commercial-spec stock says it fits on a commercial size tube. The mil-spec stock specs say it fits on a mil-spec tube. Doesn't get much clear. Just make sure to buy the correct size tube for the stock you buy.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
why does he need a new spring and buffer? he is just upgrading his current rifle
He said his current buffer tube is 9" long and is non-adjustable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts