New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a customer who wants a YHM stripped lower. I am a dealer for them so I call to see availability, nothing available until at least October possibly 2013 with backorders however YHM tells me Midway and Brownells are distributors for them. Contact Brownells, all out. Contact Midway USA and score many in stock. I order 10 and bammmm sorry order denied restricted in your state. So I call and they tell me it is company policy not to ship firearms to NYS. I said ok but I'm a FFL and I am allowed to purchase these and to the best of my knowledge unless something in NYC precludes me to selling to a resident there anyone is able to purchase a stripped lower as long as they pass a Backround check and no personal legal issues bars the sale. They respond back saying that their computer system is not up to date on laws in different parts of the state therefore it is a blanket policy that no firearms to citizens or dealers in NYS. I advise them I drafted a letter to YHM advising them on Midawys practices and that they should reconsider their business relationship that hampers their product from coming to market to potential customers. Today I get a email from Midway saying thank you for taking the tone to voice your concerns and we value your opinion and have forwarded your concerns to our senior management team. What a load of crap. Cross this company off my list of places to buy.

G

·
... I advise them I drafted a letter to YHM advising them on Midawys practices and that they should reconsider their business relationship that hampers their product from coming to market to potential customers...
I know you're mad so don't take this the wrong way.

Midway is one of the few BIG boys in the industry. Every manufacturer lusts after purchase orders from Midway because those PO's are usually BIG, have managable delivery dates and you can count on the invoice getting paid according to the terms. The transaction costs associated with dealing with a huge order are about the same as those associated with a tiny order so profit is maximized. (economies of scale)

YHM isn't likely to dump Midway in this lifetime.

What you might try is having another, out of state, FFL buy them then trans-ship.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Point taken, I realize my anger and complaints to both Midway and YHM doesn't warrant a blip on their radar but had to vent. I guess in reality it is YHM that is the problem. Why they concentrate their products on two retail distributors kills me when I have six other distributors that deal with most AR products BUT YHM. I agree with you that Midway and YHM would rather have a large volume order business and not be concerned about NYS and the insane laws that exist here. Oh well, I feel better, thank you and I placed an order directly with YHM for 10 lowers. ETA early 2013 lol!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You can't get YHM through RSR or Amchar?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Big companies have non-sense policies and sometimes they loose thousands of dollars from a single customer alone but they are a bit like the titanic, big and slow to steer and want to keep charging forward whether that in the long term takes them to the desired goal or not. Sometimes what it takes is their business to start jittering for then someone to take the initiative to analyze what is wrong and review their processes and maybe ask, why aren't we taking orders from FFLs in NY? And nobody there to clearly and rationality articulate why.
Typical scenario in big corporations. That is why it is important for business manager not just to have an overall understanding of customer drop related to profitability or not but also to learn from the customers experiences themselves.
I deal with many non-sense business process issues on a daily basis. This seems just like one of those.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Agree but hard to argue with private company not wanting to do business in a state such as NY where that $2 profit margin on a $100 stripped lower might wind up costing the millions to defend a lawsuit. Need to change this at the voting booth. Talk to your reps about business leaving NYS as a result of the Draconian gun laws. Does Chris Gibson represent Scenectady? He might be a good place to start the conversation.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Stores not willing to sell to "us peons" in NY do not deserve your business.

Oh, sorry CTD, didn't see you there.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Could you make friends with someone from PA or a similar state and buy them through them? It may cost you a little bit, but it may be worth it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I dont blame them... New York's laws are confusing enough for the people that live here... Imagine what its like for the people who don't

Its not Midways fault its New York's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts