New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been a member there for a few months. It is the closest range for me. What you really need to be aware of is that it operates as a club and not as a business. What i mean is that you can't expect to drop by anytime to go shoot, you would need to have a Range Officer (a club member that has been certified) to come down to open up for you, there are no set hours for the range to be open. For me, it suits my interests, it has an archery range and the club has hunting property upstate that members can use. So it really depends on what you are looking for, it may or may not suit your needs. To become a member you need to attend a few of the meetings and pay your dues. The next general meeting is Thursday January 23 at 8:00 pm. I hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I looked into being a member and everything Nurse_gal said is what i was told when i went to a meeting. Wasn't for me which is a shame since i live 5 minutes away.

Edit:
I also took my Hunter's safety course there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been a member there for a few months. It is the closest range for me. What you really need to be aware of is that it operates as a club and not as a business. What i mean is that you can't expect to drop by anytime to go shoot, you would need to have a Range Officer (a club member that has been certified) to come down to open up for you, there are no set hours for the range to be open. For me, it suits my interests, it has an archery range and the club has hunting property upstate that members can use. So it really depends on what you are looking for, it may or may not suit your needs. To become a member you need to attend a few of the meetings and pay your dues. The next general meeting is Thursday January 23 at 8:00 pm. I hope this information is helpful.
Thanks for the info. I would probably still go to Woodhaven but I wanted to be part of something in the gun community as well as try and compete in some shooting matches.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into being a member and everything Nurse_gal said is what i was told when i went to a meeting. Wasn't for me which is a shame since i live 5 minutes away.

Edit:
I also took my Hunter's safety course there.
Would be be nice to have something close to home. Bay Ridge club is 10 minutes away from me but I hear nothing positive about that place. I wish they had a range near Coney Island....that had AM hours.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi llcharlieli. i think a lot of us here only have premise permits, so by administrative code we are not allowed to take our pistols out of the 5 boros, much less to another state.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mike, have you checked out Stuyvesant Rod and Gun in Middle village? I have never been and only come across it online and heard it mentioned now and again. I imagine it is very similar to Metropolitan, but i don't know...

There isn't much info online but here is a yelp page

Stuyvesant Rod & Gun Club - Middle Village - Middle Village, NY

Edit: just realized there is talk of Stuyvesant down at the bottom of this thread.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/shooting-ranges/63907-shooting-ranges-nyc-area.html

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
hi llcharlieli. i think a lot of us here only have premise permits, so by administrative code we are not allowed to take our pistols out of the 5 boros, much less to another state.
Hello nurse_gal,

Are you an RSO so you can shoot alone at the Met?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts