New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Torque with a torque wrench or screwdriver and only to the manufacturer's spec.

I think scope rings to the base are 65 in-lb and top of rings to bottom of rings is 12-15 in-lb in most cases.

· Registered
3,023 Posts
Could be a quality issue - short of stripping screws some really cheap hardware will always come loose, I guess the tolerances in the threading are to blame.

Aside from that you could always use Blue Loctite (not the red stuff) to help keep them snug.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I used blue loctite when I put the base on the receiver. I did not use loctite when I put the rings on the base or the scope rings together. Never came loose.

· Registered
3,023 Posts
I did the same DV - I did put some electrical tape on my rings as per an article I read on Sniper's Hide, I probably wouldn't do that again, I guess it was supposed to help protect the scope's finish but it ends up making a mess if you have to move the scope ever.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the same DV - I did put some electrical tape on my rings as per an article I read on Sniper's Hide, I probably wouldn't do that again, I guess it was supposed to help protect the scope's finish but it ends up making a mess if you have to move the scope ever.
I did the same thing and it made a mess. Try teflon tape instead, it worked for me.

James

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inch pound torque wrench and purple loctite.
Scott I have an inch pound torque wrench but it is a bigger automotive one and I do not have a vice. I have a small one that would work but I dot think it is accurate at all. Purple Loctite huh? I will give that a try.

Thanks, James

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If it made a mess you used wayyyyy too much.

You don't need a vise to mount a scope. 65 in-lb for the rings to base isn't that much.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm bad and do not use a torque wrench on the base to receiver screws. I do use purple loctite with a good fitting "gun" screwdriver and make them tight. If your scope moves in the rings of a heavy recoiling rifle or pistol try this procedure. Set scope in rings and adjust for proper eye relief. Make a reference mark (pencil mark) on the scope. Remove scope and clean and degrease ring halves and scope. Don't clean your mark off. Next sprinkle powdered rosin (like from the bag bowlers use) into the lower ring half. Place scope in lower ring half and line up your eye relief reference mark, sprinkle more rosin on scope. Put top of ring on and tighten to Mfrs. specs. It shouldn't move now.
For those who may not know what a gun screwdriver is: A " gun " screwdriver is one that is used only for gun work and not as a chisel, scraper or pry bar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.