New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately going into certain establishments that they have setup metal detectors - those being the Home Depot in Amherst, Niagara falls, Lowes in Amherst and then shockingly enough Gander Mountain in Tonawanda.

Each time I set them off because of my sidearm. I have never been asked if I have a weapon but I certainly do get looks from everyone as soon as it goes off.

I have stated on more than one occasion that I wear Steel toe boots, have a metal belt buckle and have a metal phone (HTC One - although its non ferrous people dont know that) and that usually quells any fear they may have but im curious if any of you have been stopped, questioned or have any quick stories to get people off your backs.

Concealed is concealed so I would never give that info up willingly but within the last few weeks I have noticed this growing trend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm, those aren't metal detectors. You have a shoplifting problem.
Cant tell if serious...hmmm. And its only a problem if i get caught, right?

But on a serious note, I have asked HD and they did state metal detectors and not the security tag things. And as for Gander, it went off when I walked in and when I walked out. Walking in got weird looks, walking out I stopped and they said its ok because I bought a good amount of ammo and its what set it off.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Why would HD put metal detectors at the doors? %75 of there products sold are metal. Everyone has metal on them in some fashion.

Knowing who has metal on them serves no purpose.

Somehow it can detect your gun but not hammers and nails?

I also believe we have a Gander employee as a member here, perhaps he can chime in.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cant tell if serious...hmmm. And its only a problem if i get caught, right?

But on a serious note, I have asked HD and they did state metal detectors and not the security tag things. And as for Gander, it went off when I walked in and when I walked out. Walking in got weird looks, walking out I stopped and they said its ok because I bought a good amount of ammo and its what set it off.
Not comprehending...Why the hell would you get weird looks at Gander? What would they think that thier metal detectors would detect in a store that sells firearms and welcomes persons carrying firearms. Are they looking for soda cans do to the possible "NO FOOD IN STORE ALLOWED POLICY".

Kinda like someone telling me that they get wierd looks for wearing a bathing suit.....at the beach!

Curious and please nothing personal, are you new to CCW? Is it possible you are still getting used to CCW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not comprehending...Why the hell would you get weird looks at Gander? What would they think that thier metal detectors would detect in a store that sells firearms and welcomes persons carrying firearms. Are they looking for soda cans do to the possible "NO FOOD IN STORE ALLOWED POLICY".

Kinda like someone telling me that they get wierd looks for wearing a bathing suit.....at the beach!

Curious and please nothing personal, are you new to CCW? Is it possible you are still getting used to CCW.
I have been carrying for over 2 years now, so no not new to it at all. My clothing is far from new and has no sec tags on it. Most the time when I walk into depot im covered in joint compound or paint with ratty jeans and hoody.

As for gander, i found it odd to seeing as its a sporting good store as well. It happened yesterday, i walked in right after work with dress pants and button up shirt with a nice sweater over it with sidearm in the IWB. As soon as i hit the scanners it went off. The clerk at the front desk looked over at me and paused. I asked if everything was ok and he said yes. Youd think those things would be going off constantly there with the ammo and firearm sales. Again, everything I wore was older with no sec tags.

I just dont get it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have been carrying for over 2 years now, so no not new to it at all. My clothing is far from new and has no sec tags on it. Most the time when I walk into depot im covered in joint compound or paint with ratty jeans and hoody.

As for gander, i found it odd to seeing as its a sporting good store as well. It happened yesterday, i walked in right after work with dress pants and button up shirt with a nice sweater over it with sidearm in the IWB. As soon as i hit the scanners it went off. The clerk at the front desk looked over at me and paused. I asked if everything was ok and he said yes. Youd think those things would be going off constantly there with the ammo and firearm sales. Again, everything I wore was older with no sec tags.

I just dont get it.
As for HD have you ever looked at who the front door guards are or the person marking up your receipt when you leave. None of them are ever armed.
But Gander....Yes very odd...almost insulting. As a test would you try going thru unarmed? And see if the bells still go off. I would probably pull over one of the more talkative folks behind the gun counter and casually bring it up and see what he/she says. Your not going to get answers from anyone up front.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
(I only say this because its the Obvious joke)
Did you have your Tin foil hat on at the time, it will set off a metal detector and people will give you funny looks!

: )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grey, I ordered something off the Gander site earlier and it will be shipping to the store for pickup in the next few days, so I will most certainly do as you suggested.

As for depot - I never see guards there, the usual welcome greeters but never a "guard" of any type. My brother worked at Depot years ago and said that their policy for theft was to let the person walk by. Only a Loss prevention member could approach or question someone that could be stealing. So it seems pointless to have those detectors there if there isnt anyone that is able to help close by.
Last week I was asked if I had a beeper or some other electronic that could set it off. I wanted to be snarky and ask if this was the 90s but i opted to state just the cell phone and steel toe boots. They said ok, no issue and let me on my way.

The point of the post overall wasnt so much those stores but was getting any any place anyone has encountered a detector and you set it off. Have you been questioned and if so do you have a go to story.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Listen I don't mean to doubt your story but it makes absolutely no sense that any of these stores would have metal detectors. For them to be effective they would need a guard with a wand patting people down and paying attention to the system. If you have ever been in a court building or somewhere with a REAL metal detector you will see that pretty much everyone and everything sets it off and you need to hand them your keys.

You also need to realize the fact that the system would be costly and serve zero purpose to these stores. A retail store is not going to waste money on something that servers no purpose.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

I just dont get it.
You were wearing dress shoes? I've actually heard about this problem. Sometimes stores will insert security tags in the soles of the shoes, and they get deactivated. From walking, they sometimes become reactivated and can set off the security gates. Does it happen to you ALL the time, or only when wearing certain shoes?

The security gates aren't metal detectors. Hell, if they were, just pushing a cart through them would set them off. It's a magnetic field sensor. Something's magnetized enough to set it off.

Steel toe boots may be in the same boat as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I wear steel toe dress shoes for work that are relatively new (5 months or so). But this has also happened when wearing normal boots that I have owned for 7 years as well as plain shoes.

Its possible they arent metal detectors and they are security ones, but if im not mistaken metal detectors can be dialed in for sensitivity So for an airport or fed building youd want ultra sensitive while a place like HD or something wouldnt want it set off for keys and normal amount of metal so to say. But when I have a metal belt buckle, my Sigma series S&W with 10 rounds and the extra full mag its a bit more metal than the norm?

These are just assumptions on my part. Again, the point of the post wasnt to help me figure out the reason for setting it off rather your stories of setting them off and whether you come clean or side skirt the possible judgmental eyes for carrying.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Yes, I wear steel toe dress shoes for work that are relatively new (5 months or so). But this has also happened when wearing normal boots that I have owned for 7 years as well as plain shoes.

Its possible they arent metal detectors and they are security ones, but if im not mistaken metal detectors can be dialed in for sensitivity So for an airport or fed building youd want ultra sensitive while a place like HD or something wouldnt want it set off for keys and normal amount of metal so to say. But when I have a metal belt buckle, my Sigma series S&W with 10 rounds and the extra full mag its a bit more metal than the norm?

These are just assumptions on my part. Again, the point of the post wasnt to help me figure out the reason for setting it off rather your stories of setting them off and whether you come clean or side skirt the possible judgmental eyes for carrying.
We've already come to the conclusion that they're not metal detectors.

You're setting them off with something else. Something that's magnetized.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts